Celeron 450 2.2GHz/512/800not usable today?

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
I impressed myself with my fast diagnostics. The complaint was, "I cannot play Pandora, listen to music, or play any videos."

I thought it was a virus, spyware as the computer was slow, even with fresh windows 10 on it. I got it fixed to a point it would play music, but you could not touch the mouse, press any key on the keyboard, or allow the computer to do anything else or the sound would skip.

I slapped an E6400 C2D 2.13/2M/1066 in it, and all problems resolved. 1080p youtube is silk, windows 10 came to life, and sound is perfect even when multitasking.

So my question is, what was the purpose of a Celeron 450 2.2/512/800 if it could not play music or videos when it was new? (I did a factory restore to how it was back in 2010)

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Netburst. Also Windows 10 is not compatible with Pentium 4 after all.
And in Pentium D the performance was poor.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's not Netburst. Celeron 440 was a 2.0Ghz SINGLE-CORE C2D-class CPU. Celeron 450 is one multiplier higher than that one.

It's the lack of multiple cores. Any process that takes a lot of CPU time, will starve out everything else.

The lack of L2 cache size doesn't help either.

I might still have one of those CPUs kicking around my place. They were dogs. Sure, they were better than a P4, but only just barely. They were 64-bit though.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Try Puppy Linux. It runs fine on a Celeron @800MHz today. I got so many XP laptops for super cheap because people are brainwashed to think Windows 7-10 is the only OS - hahah

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I do have experience with these single-core C2D Celerons. I set up a neighbor with one, but it was horribly slow with ... I forget whether I put XP on it, or Windows 7. We replaced it with a Sandy Bridge Celeron 1.1Ghz dual-core, I think it was an Celeron 847(U?) ITX board. Even though the clock speed decreased from 2.0Ghz to 1.1Ghz, it was worlds faster, being on a newer architecture, and a dual-core. Didn't hurt that I threw in a small SSD for the neighbor too. It wasn't half bad.

I had built my Mom a PC a long time ago too, using XP, an 865G mobo from CompUSA (remember them?), a Celeron 440, and 2x512MB of DDR1. She used that for a few years. I think I had an IDE DVD drive in there. She watched an occasional DVD.

It wasn't super high-performance, but back in the XP days, it wasn't a bad PC.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
My guess, too would be that contemporary OS'es aren't any good at running single thread Celerons, which like all Cererons serve as office workstations. It's the cheapest (65 $) low power CPU you can get in a OEM system, with the shortest time to replacement. And system suppliers still can/could charge like 799 bucks for such a shitbox.

FPi9M8t.png

http://ark.intel.com/compare/31733,35239

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
It's not Netburst. Celeron 440 was a 2.0Ghz SINGLE-CORE C2D-class CPU. Celeron 450 is one multiplier higher than that one.

It's the lack of multiple cores. Any process that takes a lot of CPU time, will starve out everything else.

The lack of L2 cache size doesn't help either.

I might still have one of those CPUs kicking around my place. They were dogs. Sure, they were better than a P4, but only just barely. They were 64-bit though.
Agreed. Also considering that ST non HT or higher clocked low tier chip are not enough powerful to handle W10 or even W7 makes the situation worse.

Unless you are using a sempron 140/145 or a SB SC Celeron with HT, you will have a very hard time running W10.

Feb 25, 2011
Might have actually been something physically wrong with the CPU.

Years ago, I was handed a computer that was "slow". It took 2 hours to boot from the hardware diag CD. Turned out the L1 cache had died somehow. CPU swap and all was well.

Doesn't happen often, but it happens.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, I have a CPU that often boots into "danger mode" where it will only run at 800MHz the entire time because it's not getting enough voltage to go higher. Sometimes fiddling around with the power cord and rebooting fixes it, sometimes not. I can always tell when the speedstep isn't working but I just live with it instead of fooling around more and rebooting again. I guess anything loose could trigger this mode, which makes me wonder if Compman55's Celeron was really running at 800MHz instead of 2.2GHz the whole time (that could explain the stuttering).

Feb 25, 2011
Yes, I have a CPU that often boots into "danger mode" where it will only run at 800MHz the entire time because it's not getting enough voltage to go higher. Sometimes fiddling around with the power cord and rebooting fixes it, sometimes not. I can always tell when the speedstep isn't working but I just live with it instead of fooling around more and rebooting again. I guess anything loose could trigger this mode, which makes me wonder if Compman55's Celeron was really running at 800MHz instead of 2.2GHz the whole time (that could explain the stuttering).
A slightly loose CPU cooler could also cause the CPU to throttle a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto

(Ah, old internet videos!)

Although it depends on the computer - most of the OEM PCs I've seen with bum CPU coolers or case fans start shutting down instead due to "thermal events." Iirc that behavior is toggleable.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Might have actually been something physically wrong with the CPU.

Years ago, I was handed a computer that was "slow". It took 2 hours to boot from the hardware diag CD. Turned out the L1 cache had died somehow. CPU swap and all was well.

Doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Good point. Even my Foxconn NanoPCs can play music without skipping when you move the mouse.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Forget Celeron 450. Let's talk about Celeron G470 2.00GHz single-core w/ hyperthreading, ready to depreciate down to $10 shipped.