Ceiling fan light fixture keeps blowing light bulbs.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shawn, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn Lifer

I have to replace the bulb at least once a month. It's getting really annoying. When I flip on the switch I hear a POP and the bulb goes out. WTF is the deal?

2. Kelemvor

Kelemvor Lifer

Bad wiring? crap bulbs? Bulbs rated wrong for the fixture?

3. thirdeye

thirdeye Platinum Member

I'd bet one of those.

4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Lifer

Maybe the vibration from the fan is causing shorter life? Is the fan pretty smooth and quiet?

5. OrganizedChaos

OrganizedChaos Diamond Member

a CFL at my local hardware store costs 79 cents........

6. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

My best guess, too.
    Try CFL's; they have some that look like regular lightbulbs now.

7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Lifer

If it is from the vibration, he could also buy some of those heavy-duty incandescents meant for things like garage door openers if he doesn't want to do CFL.

8. Shawn

Shawn Lifer

9. Rubycon

Rubycon Madame President

CFL is Compact Fluorescent. They are not very resistant to vibration. Luexeon star LED's are though. :D

I remember years ago turning on the porch light and seeing a bright flash so I waited. Waited to hear the thunder. Knowing that a flash that bright could not be lightning with no thunder (given 5 sec/mile rule) I opened the door into darkness only to realize the flash was from an arc when the filament severed. :laugh:

10. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

Bad wiring I wouldnt say because it will either work or not and if it didnt work he'd be poping circuit breakers then the bulbs. You only have 2 wires going to the bulb. Now the other two I can see and the vibration maybe but thaat thing it gonna have to be vibrating like mad.

11. Shawn

Shawn Lifer

The fan doesn't really vibrate at all, even at highest speed. Also I'm only using 60w bulbs. The light bulbs are on their side though.

12. Rubycon

Rubycon Madame President

Filaments are made chiefly from tungsten, an extremely hard and brittle metal with high melting point. Lots of vibration will weaken the filament especially in conventional bulbs not designated for "rough service".

Turning a tungsten lamp on is a terrible thing to do! Cold wolframite (filament) has an extremely low resistance - practically a short. This quick inrush current causes stress on the already weakened filament. This is why most tungsten lamps blow when energized. So called bulb savers - those little buttons that are placed beneath the socket on the lamp - use a thermistor and diode. This allows the bulb to run on half wave rectified DC and start slowly reducing the stress of a cold start.

Are you sure? Wobble that's readily apparent doesn't constitute vibration. ;)