Ceiling fan light fixture keeps blowing light bulbs.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I have to replace the bulb at least once a month. It's getting really annoying. When I flip on the switch I hear a POP and the bulb goes out. WTF is the deal?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Maybe the vibration from the fan is causing shorter life? Is the fan pretty smooth and quiet?

My best guess, too.
Try CFL's; they have some that look like regular lightbulbs now.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Maybe the vibration from the fan is causing shorter life? Is the fan pretty smooth and quiet?

My best guess, too.
Try CFL's; they have some that look like regular lightbulbs now.
If it is from the vibration, he could also buy some of those heavy-duty incandescents meant for things like garage door openers if he doesn't want to do CFL.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
CFL is Compact Fluorescent. They are not very resistant to vibration. Luexeon star LED's are though. :D

I remember years ago turning on the porch light and seeing a bright flash so I waited. Waited to hear the thunder. Knowing that a flash that bright could not be lightning with no thunder (given 5 sec/mile rule) I opened the door into darkness only to realize the flash was from an arc when the filament severed. :laugh:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Bad wiring? crap bulbs? Bulbs rated wrong for the fixture?

Bad wiring I wouldnt say because it will either work or not and if it didnt work he'd be poping circuit breakers then the bulbs. You only have 2 wires going to the bulb. Now the other two I can see and the vibration maybe but thaat thing it gonna have to be vibrating like mad.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
The fan doesn't really vibrate at all, even at highest speed. Also I'm only using 60w bulbs. The light bulbs are on their side though.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: funboy42

Bad wiring I wouldnt say because it will either work or not and if it didnt work he'd be poping circuit breakers then the bulbs. You only have 2 wires going to the bulb. Now the other two I can see and the vibration maybe but thaat thing it gonna have to be vibrating like mad.

Filaments are made chiefly from tungsten, an extremely hard and brittle metal with high melting point. Lots of vibration will weaken the filament especially in conventional bulbs not designated for "rough service".

Turning a tungsten lamp on is a terrible thing to do! Cold wolframite (filament) has an extremely low resistance - practically a short. This quick inrush current causes stress on the already weakened filament. This is why most tungsten lamps blow when energized. So called bulb savers - those little buttons that are placed beneath the socket on the lamp - use a thermistor and diode. This allows the bulb to run on half wave rectified DC and start slowly reducing the stress of a cold start.

Originally posted by: Shawn
The fan doesn't really vibrate at all, even at highest speed. Also I'm only using 60w bulbs.

Are you sure? Wobble that's readily apparent doesn't constitute vibration. ;)