CDT Audio component speakers?

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Anyone used them? I'm looking at the Classic series CL-61 in particular. How would they compare to Boston Pro 6.5's?

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I do, I am using their HD series with the EF woofers. I think we have the same tweeters. I used to own a pr of BA pro 6.4s too. I upgraded the BA to a pair of diamond audio hex, it was night and day. The hexs are so much better than the BA pro. (not sure about the 6.5s thou) anyway, I replaced the hexs to my current pr of CDT HD as I kinda lost interest in car audio, and I got the HD in a group buy with 2 prs of tweeters, etc, and one of the diamond tweeter/crossover was going bad on me. So getting back to the question, I think the CDT tweeter is smooth and laid back, a bit too laid back than the diamond's tweeters. I never liked the BA tweeters, they hurt my ears. The CDt woofers can play deep and loud, I don't even use a sub anymore. Are you getting the messed up color ones for $149? not sure if they are still available, if so, its a good deal.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Yep, that's probably the ones I would get.
I have the pro 6.4's in another car as well. I thought the tweeters were a little bright too but someone that's really into car audio (sales and competitions for years) couldnt believe I was saying that and said he thought they were much softer than MB Q's, which I was looking at at the time.

If the CDT tweeter is laid back, I might like it. I usually feel my ears get fatigued easily listening at louder volumes. I'm getting older. :) Wish I could hear them first though to see how laid back.
I know nothing about Diamond.

white

Nov 2, 2000
i got them with the wrong red and they sound great. but my reference point is the coaxials that were in their place before i replaced them. just make sure you have enough mounting depth or be prepared to fabricate something to make it fit.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
So what other brand/model would you compare the CDT (Classics or Euro Frame) to?

<--- proud owner of classics and HD 3 ways.
Wouldnt go to any other brand other than rainbow.....

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
How much better are the CDT Professional (HD-62) or Euro Frame (HD-62EF) over the Classics (CL-61)?

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
the EF woofer is slightly smaller and shallower for people with european cars, and it has weird screw hole pattern, if you dont need it, get the regular version. if I could do it again, I wouldn't get the EF version. keep in mind that you are buying a pr of 150$ speakers that can kill all the other speakers in the $300-400ish price range, if you want high-end stuff, you might want to check out their EuroSport edition.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Someone told me he ordered the HD-62CF Carbon Fiber ($199) from thezeb but they said they ran out and 'upgraded' him to the HD-62EF for that price. But sounds like it wasn't really an upgrade. We both have Nissan Frontiers.

How about the Professional series (HD-62) to the Classics then?
Hate to keep asking. Too bad I can't just listen myself.

I hope they sound good in the factory locations. I have an OEM tweeter towards the top of the door, but am thinking it might be better to axial mount it (I think it said the CDT's can). I cant and dont want kick panels. CDT's webpage offers the extra set of tweeters, saying to mount them on the dash or A-pillars.
I know it's one persons review, but this review says putting tweeters behind an OEM grill and not surface mounting hurts performance. Is also says the CDT 3/4" tweets aren't good and top upgrade to the 1". The $150 set comes with 3/4".

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Bump.

Also, anyone heard Kove Audio's Opulent Driver Series components? How would they compare to any of the above mentioned (Boston, CDT)? I know someone that can get them at dealer cost.