CD-R Rip vs. Burn

srfdude

Jan 13, 2001
Be easy on a newbie, guys. I have an Iomega 12X10X32 that I bought on the hot deal from CompUSA, thanks for the tip. It burns at 12X no probs., but the best rip speed seems to be 8X. Why? Is there a setting problem? Obviously my setup can handle the data flow or it wouldn't burn at 12? Any words of wisdom?

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
If you are ripping on the fly it is most likely the limit of the cd-rom you are ripping from...Just because for example a cd-rom is 32 speed does not mean it can read dae or digital audio that fast. The spead is usually data and represents max speed which generally occurs at the outer edge. Also if you are ripping from cd-rw it may also not be able to read dae at 12x some don't.

I hope I accurately depicted your situation...

Also throw in audio on cd-rs and that speed may slow even more depending on media type of cd-r...my dvd-rom is picky.

I am lucky my kenwood 42x will rip at a minimum 12x...

srfdude

Jan 13, 2001
Thanks. If I understand you, your point is that the unit may not be able to read that quickly. I'm ripping from clean CD's, not CD-Rs. So I guess I need to go to school to figure why it will burn at 12, with the extra overhead of burning, but won't read that fast.
Also, not sure about ripping on the fly? I only have one unit, so it rips to HD, then burns onto a new CD-R. Maybe the conversion to WAV? Again, thanks for your time.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000

<< why it will burn at 12, with the extra overhead of burning, but won't read that fast >>

Reading and writing are completely separate operations. The implication that you are making is a non-sequiter, i.e., the conclusion does not logically follow the premise.

The rated read speed is the MAXIMUM, the only time the speed ever approaches that is at the very outside tracks, as Duvie said. At the inner tracks the speed is much slower. Also CD-audio is read differently than data.

blueghost75

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2000
As I recall, the Iomega drive is identical to the Plextor, so it should read at 24x DAE. Do you have DMA enabled? You would need to have DMA enabled on both the CDRW and your hard disk. What kind of hard disk do you have? It might not be able to handle those speeds if it is old.

srfdude

Jan 13, 2001
Ok, I went into system and checked DMA is on for the CD-R. But checking the primary IDE controller for the hard drive, it tells me there is a problem.!@#$% Had this hard drive working for a couple months without any apparent problems, I got to figure out how to get it right without losing 15G of data. (WD 20 G, 7200 rpm.) Thanks for the tips.

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
The digital extraction differs for many drives. My last one was a 48x and could rip at about 3-6x.. my 4x burner could do about 2.

8x seems pretty good actually.