Question CD burning

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Either from an ISO or from individual tracks, what is the best tool? I seem to recall (its been a while) that EAC was the best for ripping but I can't remember anything but Nero for burning. Anyone have any preferred tools or am I the only person left still burning discs for people?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I always just used Windows media player to make my music CD mixes. As of... Vista I think WMP incorporated the ability to both rip and burn CDs.

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
I've used ImgBurn regularly for over 12 years, particularly in connection with disc creation/backups for game consoles. I've used it hundreds of times.

It has not been updated since 2013.

Downloads of the final version were latterly packaged with additional but entirely optional adware/trashware (OpenCandy) but in recent years, apparently, some dodgy download sites either removed the optional choice or added other trashware.

Whatever happened that was reported to the usual places and subsequently ImgBurn itself received a bad rep rating which may result in it being flagged by anti-malware/anti-virus tools.

ImgBurn is as good as free software gets but there are plenty of other tools out there which will do an equal job:-

I've used Burnaware too, no issues with it for burning and is still being regularly updated. But it too includes an unwanted but, well flagged, optional additional program with the installer.

On a practical note I've found that for my uses it consistently refuses to verify any of the discs it has just burned. No idea why, it just reports it can not verify the disc. No problem like that with ImgBurn when used for exactly the same tasks which is one reason why I favour that instead of Burnaware.

CDBurnerXP I had no problems with either but it was sent to the naughty step too because if you did not chose the, not well highlighted, opt out download or updates you'd get unwanted, adware/trashware (Open Candy again) which would install along with program.

InfraRecorder I've used for comparative test burns only but had no trouble from it at all. A simple but functional GUI which may or may not appeal. It comes in portable versions too: 32 and 64bit with a very small footprint but no version has been updated since 2012.

I've occasionally used other burners like the obscure Padus' Discjuggler and the trial version of CloneCD for specific game console disc compatibility burning tasks. I know others interested in the same sort of things recommend the free version of Alcohol 120 and the not for free Nero.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Does WMP still exist?!

Yes, but in my experience on Win64 it's best to use the "Program Files (x86)" version of WMP as the 64-bit version likes to crash a lot (my guess is that I would have experienced this during CD ripping).

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
Yes, just go on Amazon or Ebay, most types are on offer.

In the UK you can still find high street shops selling Maxell, Verbatim and sometimes Philips disc media.

Much to my dismay the supermarket brand I favoured stopped being sold three or four years ago and my spare stock of those is now gone. The reason I liked them is because they were, usually, made by Ritek, a manufacturer known for producing reliable disc media.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I still have 100s of unused CDR and DVDR discs. Bought spools of the stuff 15+ years ago when Newegg had great sales! Thought I would use em, but I haven't burned a disc in years.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Either from an ISO or from individual tracks, what is the best tool? I seem to recall (its been a while) that EAC was the best for ripping but I can't remember anything but Nero for burning. Anyone have any preferred tools or am I the only person left still burning discs for people?
Can't easily burn audio CD from an ISO unless it was created by specialized app for such a purpose. IIRC ImgBurn and CloneCD can do this but it's not straight forward. A bit of a PIA unless you become very practiced/knowledgeable about the limitations that need to be worked around.

You can mount an ISO and play it, or rip the tracks from it and build/create your own audio CD from the ripped tracks.

Reactions: Mantrid-Drone

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
I use dBpoweramp for lossless ripping of audio discs and I use Burnaware for making Audio CDs/Video CDs/Data CDs. They have a free version of Burnaware but dBpoweramp is paid (1 time fee for a perpetual license)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I use dBpoweramp for lossless ripping of audio discs and I use Burnaware for making Audio CDs/Video CDs/Data CDs. They have a free version of Burnaware but dBpoweramp is paid (1 time fee for a perpetual license)
I still use audiograbber from a million years ago. Still work great. But it's a pita to add art and it doesn't embed it. For that I use aimp but being it's Russian I have not updated it in years since eset kept flagging it as malware.

Reactions: Super Spartan