CCN losing viewership....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Worry about CNN viewership?
After all, whats the alternative? Fox News?
Does anyone including right wing conservatives really think that Fox news will give them the truth?
If people really want the truth we already know where to go....
Facebook. ;)
But nice try. Keep up the cause.

Facebook, heh, I use Twitter for all of my political news. o_O

Last edited:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
The problem with this post is that you are clearly not an independent. Quite the opposite, you're as blatantly partisan and biased as they come.
You've never heard of independent journalists on Youtube? wow!

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
This is your problem, Trump CREATES these events that CNN reports on, if you watch ABC news report that Trump says "windmills cause cancer" or "you need an ID card to buy cereal" is ABC news "biased" too?.
Yes Trump often says crazy stuff to troll, but that doesn't take away from the fact that CNN is often distorting the truth. For example, the time they staged the muslim protestors in the UK. Chris Cuomo claiming that downloading wikileaks is illegal. How about the story that the Senate Intelligence Committee was investigating a Russian fund with ties to Trump? How about rape and domestic violence being pre-existing conditions in the GOP's healthcare bill? How about when CNN said Comey would contradict Trump saying he wasn't under FBI investigation? Over time, shit like that will go viral on the socials and YouTube and people just tune out.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
That is the single most second dumbest thing I have read on ATPN this fine 2020 February. But hey, you managed to find something even worse than Fox, a feat in it self.
Aggregators simply read stories from multiple sources and then inject their opinion. It's 10x better than just being in the stupid echo chamber such as this forum for your news, or just CNN, or just Fox. Get out of your echo chambers. Often one of the aggregators I listen to will actually find *contradicting evidence* from the *same exact outlet* like Politico contradicting itself on Ukraine evidence. That is why the best aggregators have hundreds of thousands of subs, show me an outlet that is analyzing multiple sources and comparing notes. It doesn't happen because tradmedia hasn't evolved to that level yet.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Aggregators simply read stories from multiple sources and then inject their opinion. It's 10x better than just being in the stupid echo chamber such as this forum for your news, or just CNN, or just Fox. Get out of your echo chambers. Often one of the aggregators I listen to will actually find *contradicting evidence* from the *same exact outlet* like Politico contradicting itself on Ukraine evidence. That is why the best aggregators have hundreds of thousands of subs, show me an outlet that is analyzing multiple sources and comparing notes. It doesn't happen because tradmedia hasn't evolved to that level yet.
Goddamn it dude... you understand how youtube works? You are describing confirmation bias on steroids and with no filter, no journalistic ethics and standards. What you do is you go to the source of the actual journalistic work and apply your filter on that... Not with youtube intermediate intermediate intermediate crackpots. You so down the rabbithole you found Putins asshole down there.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yes Trump often says crazy stuff to troll, but that doesn't take away from the fact that CNN is often distorting the truth. For example, the time they staged the muslim protestors in the UK. Chris Cuomo claiming that downloading wikileaks is illegal. How about the story that the Senate Intelligence Committee was investigating a Russian fund with ties to Trump? How about rape and domestic violence being pre-existing conditions in the GOP's healthcare bill? How about when CNN said Comey would contradict Trump saying he wasn't under FBI investigation? Over time, shit like that will go viral on the socials and YouTube and people just tune out.
So a news entity is wrong 5% of the time gives you incentive to consume a news diet that is wrong 95% of the time - and is not even news? Yea... that is like... I cant... grammar this... I would have to blow my brains out to properly orchestrate a visual of how insanely stupid I think that is...

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
We need to get back to a central truth: the OP isn't touting CNN's (alleged) decline because he genuinely wants it to improve as a neutral source of journalism, it's because he wants it to become a Trump propaganda rag like Fox News, Breitbart or Daily Caller.

CNN does have its problems; most notably, it can over-hype the significance of something or speculate when it should stick to known facts. It's a warning about the perils of 24-hour news channels and the pressure to fill airtime. But it's still miles better than Fox, which omits 'inconvenient' coverage and downplays its news desk in favor of false claims from commentators with massive conflicts of interest.

It remains true that Trump is overtly corrupt, lies often (far more than past presidents) and routinely demonstrates gross incompetence. Any vaguely objective news outlet acknowledges those facts; the goal of the media is not to normalize fundamentally abnormal behavior.

Reactions: Meghan54

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Have posted before about how the nation views news and their source of news. CNN continues to drop in the number of people who use them as a source of news. One would think they would change the "course" knowing their numbers continue to fall.

People see through their biased attempt and the declining numbers are indicative of that...

ratings...
Fox news is just a Tabloid magazine in video form. Hell, you can get more truth from the tabloid magazines on the shelf on store shelves than Fox news.

My point, is you can't compare their ratings against any other news station, because honestly, they quit being a legitimate news station years ago.

The key is to stop believing the news and start getting the facts from your own research from the actual sources, not the news.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Fox news is just a Tabloid magazine in video form. Hell, you can get more truth from the tabloid magazines on the shelf on store shelves than Fox news.

My point, is you can't compare their ratings against any other news station, because honestly, they quit being a legitimate news station years ago.

The key is to stop believing the news and start getting the facts from your own research from the actual sources, not the news.

While I agree that you can't really trust Fox, I don't think the solution is to avoid believing the news. Rather, it's to apply critical thinking and question the validity of claims. Is the evidence sound? Is it logically consistent with what we already know? What's the outlet's overall track record? Are there other outlets corroborating these claims?

For example, when the New York Times said that intelligence briefed Congress on Russia backing Trump in the 2020 election, it made a good case even though it cited anonymous sources. The claims are entirely consistent with what Russia has done in the past (see 2016 and other elections); those involved haven't denied the legitimacy of the claims, even if they haven't confirmed them; and despite what Trumpists claim, the NYT has a very good record when it turns to sources that have to remain anonymous. You would have to show proof that Congress wasn't briefed to shoot the claim down.

Reactions: BlueWeasel

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Most tv news channels will see a decrease in viewers as boomers age and slowly pass away. I haven't watch cable TV news in a long time, but my parents and in laws still do and still watch it. Younger people I know don't tend to.

Mar 11, 2004
Well I couldn't possibly imagine this thread going like it did after seeing who the OP is. Isn't it ironic, don'tya think? A little too-oo, ironic...that the OP is basically the embodiment of irony. "Whaaaaaa the biased CNN is failing because they're biased, look Breitbart says!" Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well I couldn't possibly imagine this thread going like it did after seeing who the OP is. Isn't it ironic, don'tya think? A little too-oo, ironic...that the OP is basically the embodiment of irony. "Whaaaaaa the biased CNN is failing because they're biased, look Breitbart says!" Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.
Hell, I hate CNN, but this is fun.
I mean ratings tell you all about the quality, accuracy, and objectivity of the particular network right?

Feb 4, 2009
I think this is going to be similar to how Country Music became the biggest album seller for a long time.
I remember surveys where Country Music fans were least likely to own a digital music player and most likely to want a full CD.
Nothing wrong with that choice but to ignore all other sales isn’t smart either.
I have a feeling the typical Fox viewer is less likely to stream TV and wants a full cable package. Sort of skews the info.
I’m not trying to imply Fox isn’t hugely successful because they are.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I think this is going to be similar to how Country Music became the biggest album seller for a long time.
I remember surveys where Country Music fans were least likely to own a digital music player and most likely to want a full CD.
Nothing wrong with that choice but to ignore all other sales isn’t smart either.
I have a feeling the typical Fox viewer is less likely to stream TV and wants a full cable package. Sort of skews the info.
I’m not trying to imply Fox isn’t hugely successful because they are.

They're literally the main stream media. They even brag about it, "most watched, most trusted"

Reactions: SP33Demon

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Goddamn it dude... you understand how youtube works? You are describing confirmation bias on steroids and with no filter, no journalistic ethics and standards. What you do is you go to the source of the actual journalistic work and apply your filter on that... Not with youtube intermediate intermediate intermediate crackpots. You so down the rabbithole you found Putins asshole down there.
If somebody is found to be reporting misinformation, they will get unsubbed. It's that simple. Imagine if we could unsub from CNN cable back in the day. You have the power of who your time goes to moreso with Youtube than tradmedia since tradmedia doesn't have to face the consequences of fake news. All independent journalists have is their reputation. They cannot hide behind a large corporate puppet like washpo or fox or cnn.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If somebody is found to be reporting misinformation, they will get unsubbed. It's that simple. Imagine if we could unsub from CNN cable back in the day. You have the power of who your time goes to moreso with Youtube than tradmedia since tradmedia doesn't have to face the consequences of fake news. All independent journalists have is their reputation. They cannot hide behind a large corporate puppet like washpo or fox or cnn.

You know you can change TV channels, right?

Reactions: Vic

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
You mean a guy who hasn’t been able to get a job in a news organization so he YouTube’s his stuff to make some pennies?
One of the guys I listen to has worked for ABC and other liberal mainstream outlets and told them to F off b/c they wanted him to spin the facts.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

lol wtf? Do you even know how TV works?