CCleaner - Public Service Announcement

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
CCleaner is good, yes absolutely, but I've found System Ninja to be better, much more thorough. For proof, go and run CC first and then SN second, and witness all the crud it finds. Then for kicks, a week later, run them in opposite order and watch CC shoot blanks. No surprise, since SN is brought to us from SingularLabs, the authors of CCEnhancer which only really makes CCleaner serviceable. I'm compelled let you share in this performance reality, since new version 2.4 has dropped today.

Happy Scrubbing and Merry Cleaning!

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Everytime I use CCleaner it breaks my icons and I have to rebuild my icon cache. Happens on both Windows 7 and 8

I have switcehd to Wise Disk Cleaner instead

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Strange to hear about CCleaner woes.. never encountered such problems myself... in fact, it's one of the programs I swear by, and definitely one of the "Must-have tools in new machines" collection I carry with me on a USB stick...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I've been afraid to use registry cleaners since I started having strange cpu resource utilization issues with a couple programs a few years ago after using a couple of them. One might have been ccleaner but I can't be sure.

It's easy to backup the registry beforehand, but if it creates an issue that's not noticed right away, it's difficult to restore without overriding recent changes.

Do people still feel like their system's performance improves after using a program like ccleaner, or other reputable ones?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I tried it out and it did seem to find about 350mb more than CCleaner. I'll keep it on the desktop for a few weeks and see how well it performs. Overall I'm pretty impressed for a first time user. Thanks for the link.:thumbsup:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
CCleaner is good, yes absolutely, but I've found System Ninja to be better, much more thorough. For proof, go and run CC first and then SN second, and witness all the crud it finds. Then for kicks, a week later, run them in opposite order and watch CC shoot blanks. No surprise, since SN is brought to us from SingularLabs, the authors of CCEnhancer which only really makes CCleaner serviceable. I'm compelled let you share in this performance reality, since new version 2.4 has dropped today.

Happy Scrubbing and Merry Cleaning!

Win8 compatible?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Everytime I use CCleaner it breaks my icons and I have to rebuild my icon cache. Happens on both Windows 7 and 8

If you turn off the option that deletes those files, you won't have that issue.

Strange, I know.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
It is not hard to find a program that deletes/changes more than CCleaner. It is hard to find a program that does so without messing up anything or making the system slower in the long run.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
After all the snake oil smoke clears, CCleaner has a restore feature that will immediately put your system back like it was. No excuse for losing icons, etc.

Anyone run benchmarks before and after to see if there is a noticeable performance gain?

Rather than diddle around with the registry, you can probably get more results by deleting all of the temporary internet files in your system.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I use CCleaner, but not the Registry-cleaning feature. I don't remember seeing any tangible benefits to Registry cleaners when I've tried them (for example, a Dell that's been through several different security suites... fresh Windows installation got it working smoothly again).

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
CCleaner does the job well enough.
Glary Utilities (registry cleaner option) is one that I do not recommend.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
I use Ccleaner to clear up free space, more necessary now with SSDs than with large HDDs, but i'll still never ever use a registry cleaner - That is snake oil!

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I've been using Windows7 Manager for years now, and it does a great job of sniffing out both garbage files and registry cleaning. Call it snake oil if you want, but it's well known that the Windows registry collects entries like mad, and the occasional "data enema" is useful.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
I have REGSEEKER and they just came out with version 2.0 and i think it looks disgusting!!!

www.hoverdesk.net

Its just about all 1 colour,it is more bloated and pops up alot of errors when i run certain scans....... (No surprise,things always go downhill with every "update" just about)

I did run 1 scan to clean the registry and it found 7 things my version didnt find,but after that i dumped it..... Version 1.45 is quite awesome!! (Looks nicer,runs better) removed about 850 keys first time i ran it.. EXCELLENT PROGRAM!

post-20663-1116106817.jpg