CCC Fan Speed Fix Question

Zillatech

Jul 25, 2006
I want to know if I only have to set the "Fan Speed Fix" once (Windows Startup maybe) and not have to mess with it in any other "Gaming Profiles".

I'm thinking about picking up a VisionTek 4870 (Stock Model) now and would like to know from ppl that have been using the Fan Fix.

Coming from Nvidia cards/drivers, I understand how the CCC profiles work now but the pain in neck thing I had to get used to is manually switching profiles in and out of games between Windows Sessions. I have an old system with a 3850 AGP card in it and I put a shortcut to "Default Profile" in Windows Startup in case I forget to switch back video profiles before I shut down the computer. I don't like doing this but its the only way I can think of to help automate the profile switching (Nvidia's Gaming Profiles are far better this way).

Question:
What happens to the "Fan Speed Fix" when using other gaming profiles between Windows Sessions??? Is the fan speed fix independent of custom CCC Video Profiles?

Nov 26, 2005
If you keep your 3D settings the same all the time, the fix is great! Thing is, once you set the profile and save it, going back and changing something like mipmap detail level will null the saved profile. I've set mine to the settings I wanted, went through the instructions and I have fan profiles like on RivaTuner.

EDIT:

First off if you are using a gigabyte board you MUST flash your bios to the newest bios available. Than just follow these simple steps.

Make sure windows is set to show hidden files.

First Enable Overdrive in the Catalyst Control Center.

Next Create a new Profile using the Profiles Manager in the CCC and make sure Save All Catalyst Control Center Settings is checked.

For Vista 32/64

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP 32/64

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file, then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC. Done.

Copied and Pasted from UT3 forums, Enjoy

Zillatech

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks for info., that answered my question. I suppose I could make a couple of different profiles, using higher fan speeds for games and adjusting the "Default" settings a little lower for idling in Windows. I do hope that a BIOS fix across the board will make the fan speeds a little better in the near future thou.

If I don't see a "TOXIC" version of the 4870 soon, I may have to go with the stock cards and do the profile fix. At least now I have the information I need before my purchase.

~ THX ~

Nov 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Zillatech
Thanks for info., that answered my question. I suppose I could make a couple of different profiles, using higher fan speeds for games and adjusting the "Default" settings a little lower for idling in Windows. I do hope that a BIOS fix across the board will make the fan speeds a little better in the near future thou.

If I don't see a "TOXIC" version of the 4870 soon, I may have to go with the stock cards and do the profile fix. At least now I have the information I need before my purchase.

~ THX ~

you got it :)