CC advice

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Is there any kind of visa or mastercard student card that is similar to the AMEX blue? Probably the biggest reasons I want a CC now are for more online purchase protection (i haven't been burned yet, but better safe than sorry) and/or if I lose it.

Features i'm interested in:
some sort of rewards like cashback or frequent flier miles
no or low setup fee
no annual fee

I'd prefer Visa or Mastercard simply because I'm pretty sure they're accepted at far more places.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
get a regular card... screw all these student ones... i had no credit and still got regular card for my first one.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Yeah, I was also thinking about that. It seems that all the student ones are really just an excuse to have a high APR.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
but still, are there any visa or MC cards that are similar to Amex blue?

You might look at CitiBank's Sony card, I have about $140 of Sony points saved up.

Not sure yet what I'm going to spend them on.

Viper GTS

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

You might look at CitiBank's Sony card, I have about $140 of Sony points saved up.

Viper GTS

might get a new cd player for you car or something

jorken

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
get a regular card... screw all these student ones... i had no credit and still got regular card for my first one.

I have no credit and everywhere i've applied basically said, "Screw you, you have no credit"

ddwbi0

Jun 22, 2002
Go to your nearest university, and look for the ppl that are always trying to get students to sign up for another credit card. Thats where i got my first one(an AMEX student blue). You probably have a better chance getting one there...plus you get a free tshirt for signing up right there~!:)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Rallispec
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

might get a new cd player for you car or something

If I had a car.

:D

Still waiting to know what I'm doing with my vision.

I still do have the Pioneer head I was using in my Accord, all I'd have to is get a new wiring harness for it & I could use it in anything I buy.

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jorken

I have no credit and everywhere i've applied basically said, "Screw you, you have no credit"

I was in the same position when I applied for my Sony card. Up until then all I'd been approved for were the "$500 limit, $49 annual fee, 29% interest" type cards. Citibank gave me $1,200, no annual fee, and <15% interest.

You could always go for a secured card if you can come up with a $500 deposit (which will be refunded).

Viper GTS

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: jorken

Good luck, I hear applying for at least 2 cc's a week for 10 months will work wonders on your credit report (j/k).

:D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
If you can't get a card from anywhere check your score at equifax.com or somewhere similar. You need to read a detailed report and see what's wrong.

Anyway the card for you, goober is an MBNA card. Mine has shopsafe so I can make one-time use numbers with a set dollar amount, expiry - good for only one purchase. Also every dollar I spend I get an eliterewards.com point. These points are valid for a butt-load of stuff. You get one point a buck and need like $2500 for a $25 gift certificate to somewhere like best buy, so it's not super high on the points, but it's not too bad and they are useful points. Plus my card is 11.9% APR and no annual fee and MBNA has done me right since I got it.