CBO: National Debt headed for Highest Level since WW2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Deficits were shrinking under Obama from the high during the crisis. Trump and the Rs took a $400B a year deficit when Obama left and turned it into what will be a $1T (and growing) deficit for 2019.

1WVrlTt.png
Why would he let something like facts get in the way of a good shitpost?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Guys this thread is way too early. Don’t you know the deal? We don’t care about the national debt until the Democrats are in power. Then we will hear about how the Republican Really Mean It This Time And they Lost Their Way in previous years.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
But muh freedom cockass and tea party and fiscal conservatism!!! I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE RESPONSIBILITY!

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The answer? More taxes.

Seriously though. I'm getting the crunk out of America. Anyone want move to Thailand with me? :D:D:D

I just see this mess as a foreshadow to what is coming. A major recession that is going to destroy many lives in this great country. You're either wealthy and can ride this mess out, or you'll be sucked into the pit of despair.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Guys this thread is way too early. Don’t you know the deal? We don’t care about the national debt until the Democrats are in power. Then we will hear about how the Republican Really Mean It This Time And they Lost Their Way in previous years.

By the time that happens the Dem attitude to that is going to be "get fucked" as younger people who's futures have been squandered by these people gain political power.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You can't be fucking serious with this statement can you?
So out of one side of your mouth you'll thank Trump for the economy, and out of the other blame Obama for the debt?

He's seriously trolling all the time, has repeatedly admitted it.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
No worries. By that time, Dems will be in power again and Repubs will just blame Dems for the debt caused, inarguably, by Republican policies. again, and again, and again.

As it always is. No ideas, no policy, no leadership, just theft and graft. The GOP way.
And it will work.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yep, nothing compuwiz posts is to be taken seriously by his own posts. But if we can't take his posts seriously how do we know he was serious that he was just trolling?

Lol, I'll play it safe and just assume he's as disingenuous as the rest of the cons

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Only matters what we spend it on. Any other kind of spending or tax relief is better than redistributionist social welfare spending to the poors.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Only matters what we spend it on. Any other kind of spending or tax relief is better than redistributionist social welfare spending to the poors.

Isn't a huge amount of military spending re-distributive spending on the poor too?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Hmm, well science and empirical research disagrees with you so I'm going to have to go with them over your feelings on this one.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
That poor, poor Raytheon is only able to scrape by with 25 billion a year.

I am also talking about the vast array of benefits and services, very very generous at that, that are provided in the name of defense. That is of course social welfare. But since its beneficiary is right's solid constituents, the right never complains about the massive waste and corruption in military spending, not to mention a lot of proper, usual spending is waste in itself. And digs the country deeper into debt. And destroys the future generations. If the right cares about family and values self sacrifice and those traditional values, defense spending is the first thing they should be taking up arms against.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Over extending themselves militarily is one of the reasons empires die. There are many other reasons but this is one of them. American empire is in its last stages, so we are just following law of nature so to speak.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Pay no mind to Trump's deficits, just like with Reagan, Bush, and Bush II, it's all the fault of those 'tax and spend' Democrats in control of Congress... oh, wait.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Beyond what K1052 used to shoot down your claims, the CBO noted that the Trump/Republican plan adds $1.84 trillion to the deficit over 10 years. That is exclusively their fault. Not Obama's.

But Hillary's emails! Put her in Jail!

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
^ this is completely wrong. Banks borrowing from the Fed has nothing to with national debt or funding the government. Only to the extent that banks can buy treasure notes are they involved. I don’t see how corporations are involved at all, except to the extent that the government contracts with them to provide services.

It’s really simply - we don’t collect enough taxes to support our massive military spending and relatively modest welfare state. We’re on the low end for industrialized nations:

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/how-do-us-taxes-compare-internationally
Did you read what you responded to? I said the problem is allocation, not that banks and corporations increase the debt by simply existing. But they do get access to those funds first, and they use it to multiply their own power over the economy as a whole, and everyone else. Because they control the money right out of the gates.

The problem is that the money doesn't get used to do actual useful things first, which would result in people getting paid and using that money to...pay corporations and banks money. For example, the bailouts that happened in 2009-2010. The banks were essentially handed money. It allowed the banks to fix their books, and allowed them to keep the mortgages/properties. If the money had just been used to pay off houses, it would have accomplished the same thing, and the people wouldn't still owe the banks money. In essence, banks always get paid off, while everyone else is left to rot.

And by the way, the debt actually isn't a problem. Paying it down isn't a necessity. It's just an accounting column that Republicans use to prevent Democrats from spending money on things that Democrats like to spend money on. Republicans get into power, cut taxes, and increase the debt, and voila, nothing happens. Unless there is hyperinflation (and look at interest rates...not even a chance) the current debt is more than manageable.

Jan 25, 2011
Can someone tell me what the people in this admin are smoking and where they are getting it? I can use this level of escape from reality sometime.

Kudlow on FNB: “The deficit, it’s coming down and it’s coming down rapidly.”