CBD is real! (Turning conservatives into liberals)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do you have the whole article? Its behind a pay wall.
Really? I've never had a problem reading their articles.

Using Firefox Nightly 59a1 64-bit for Windows, with Tracking Protection set to Always, and uBlock Origin, and Privacy Badger. I'm not using the new NoScript on this box yet.

Reactions: tential and Ken g6

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
So I guess this means Democrats should try to get hand sanitizer dispensers installed at polling places?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Really? I've never had a problem reading their articles.

Using Firefox Nightly 59a1 64-bit for Windows, with Tracking Protection set to Always, and uBlock Origin, and Privacy Badger. I'm not using the new NoScript on this box yet.

uBlock Origin is the killer app for Firefox. Best thing I ever installed.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So basically this study reaffirms what moonbeam has been preaching about, the differences between a conservative brain and a liberal brain. Not only that but apparently it's conservatives that are actually snowflakes and they are the ones that need safe spaces. So the posters who have been telling everyone that if Democrats were nicer that the right would be more accepting were actually being super honest. Hmm...

Has anyone looked at this study? It seems almost too truthy to be true.

It looks like I'll have to change up my posting style if I want to make any impact on these people. Hmm... That sounds easier than it is.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Did you read the article at all. There may be hope yet for them.

The research suggests no course of action for tamping down conservative fears on a mass scale. It suggests that individuals should try not to be so easily manipulated. That's not going to happen.

We can always remind them of the facts. For example, that the chances of dying in a terrorist attack are less than the chance of being struck by lightning. But there's one problem. They don't listen to anything from anyone not a member of their tribe. Indeed, the backfire effect suggests that any attempt to do so would likely make them even more fearful. Perhaps we should try reverse psychology and pretend that we do indeed have much to fear.

Honestly, I'm at a loss for any feasible strategy to take advantage of the knowledge this research imparts.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Conservatism appears to be rooted in a mindset of primordial fear that clouds any ability at having a larger perspective on the realities that current issues pose. I guess that's why it's easier to cling to ideals such a religion and trickle down economics. When you give them a mindset of security like the study did, it helps free them from the fear-based shackles. The problem with this primordial mindset is that the more you try and change a mind, the more defiant and rooted in the ideals it becomes.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So basically this study reaffirms what moonbeam has been preaching about, the differences between a conservative brain and a liberal brain. Not only that but apparently it's conservatives that are actually snowflakes and they are the ones that need safe spaces. So the posters who have been telling everyone that if Democrats were nicer that the right would be more accepting were actually being super honest. Hmm...

Has anyone looked at this study? It seems almost too truthy to be true.

It looks like I'll have to change up my posting style if I want to make any impact on these people. Hmm... That sounds easier than it is.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who woulda thunk the world would be so much better just by treating people with respect.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The only cure for CBD is:

winning a darwin award

Did you read the article at all. There may be hope yet for them.

I thought the only hope was a visit from these three guys:
1-scrooge-and-the-ghost-of-christmas-past-angela-pleasence-1984.jpg

george-c-scott-stars-as-the-penurious-stingy-businessman-ebenezer-picture-id473970424

2sbr8rb.jpg

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who woulda thunk the world would be so much better just by treating people with respect.

I don't think coddling people is a sign of respect. This article suggests that conservatives must be manipulated into feeling safe before conservatives will even have an open mind. It sounds like talking down to them and giving them hugs is the way to go. That's something I'd do with a child, not an adult with whome I'm trying to have a conversation with.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
I don't think coddling people is a sign of respect. This article suggests that conservatives must be manipulated into feeling safe before conservatives will even have an open mind. It sounds like talking down to them and giving them hugs is the way to go. That's something I'd do with a child, not an adult with whome I'm trying to have a conversation with.

You risk activating the defensive shields if you don't. You basically have to trick them into coming to the right conclusion themselves. This helps them feel in control(their #1 belief), smarter, and safer.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I thought the only hope was a visit from these three guys:
1-scrooge-and-the-ghost-of-christmas-past-angela-pleasence-1984.jpg

george-c-scott-stars-as-the-penurious-stingy-businessman-ebenezer-picture-id473970424

2sbr8rb.jpg

Believe it or not I think the study could have shown that conservatives will adopt new policies or ideas if they are scared into them. My guess is that's why Bernie Sanders appealed to a lot of them, he used fear-mongering and the billionaire class as the scapegoat for all their problems.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You risk activating the defensive shields if you don't. You basically have to trick them into coming to the right conclusion themselves. This helps them feel in control(their #1 belief), smarter, and safer.

I agree, I just don't think using those techniques is a form of respect.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, if moonbeam's running commentary has any truth to it, then many of these so-called "adults", are really just scared, hurt, children inside.

But I don't want to speak for moonbeam, I'm curious what he thinks about all of this.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The solution I see is for the GOP Ministry of Propaganda to start telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Now seeing as if that will never ever happen due to the fact that if the GOP did start telling nothing but the truth to their constituents then their working class and poor constituents would see exactly the kind of monsters they elected and sends to the Capital over and over again.

Let's face the facts here. The present day GOP is built on a shit pile of lies the size of Texas and as high as Everest and growing. They have Trump, he is the worst pathologically infected liar I have ever seen hold political office and he is THEIR clearest example of how corrupt, desperate and criminal the GOP has become. It didn't happen by chance, it happened because that's where the party was headed to begin with.

The party of lies elected the best liar they could find and look at it now. Look at the legislation they're trying to ram through before their own constituents can really see what they're up to. Look at their legislators right down to each and every individual and every one of them is lying about how THEIR tax reform package is going to be a big whopping benefit for their middle class when it's actually going to rob the middle class and the poor in order to enrich the very wealthy even more than they already have. Reagan scammed them big time and them made them believe he was some kind of superstar to boot.

The formula was perfected right then and there.

edit - syntax

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
And while we are at it why dont we cure religion all together?
What is going to church and adapting a priests interpretation of a faith with a promise of damnation if you dont - compared to this? I dont see deprogramming entire lifetimes of this behavior with "being nice to them".

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
What I'd like to know now is how conservatives have been convinced not to be scared of global warming. I think if knew that we could convince them not to be scared of other things.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well, if moonbeam's running commentary has any truth to it, then many of these so-called "adults", are really just scared, hurt, children inside.

But I don't want to speak for moonbeam, I'm curious what he thinks about all of this.
Well, to do a thorough job is going to be challenging because reading to post 24 so far I have thought of a million things to say. I was about to go lay down with my ipad and read about guns, I think they make my conservative brain feel safe, but I will say now that I think your link is pretty spot on. One think I have said a number of times to conservatives here is that they should get out into nature and soak in the beauty of the universe. A thing that has happened to me on occasion is the appearance of a timeless moment in the sun with the feeling that the sun warming my arm feels to me just like it must have to Jesus. Fear just seems to vanish in a state of being there. Right now I can hear it is starting to rain. Me, my kitchen, the sound of the furnace, and the sound of the rain. When I feel fear it is because I am thinking. Who knew that suicide by thought is reals. If you don't die from it you can still fuck up your day. How do we stop thinking? I think behind anxiety are suppressed tears. Everything we fear we fear because we know what fear is because everything we fear has already happened. I think it is the waking of memory we really fear.

Very interesting thread. I am glad you posted it.