Cawthorn. Lights on. Noone home.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I find it even more strange to hear Putin and the Russians echoing Fox and Trumpist 'talking points' than the reverse. Putin complaining about 'cancel culture' and 'mixed gender bathrooms' or comparing Russia to JK Rowling, seems even weirder to me than US Republicans echoing the Kremlin.

It's like there's a global oligarch class, who have all hit on the same tactics, whether independently invented, or by collusion.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
It's like there's a global oligarch class, who have all hit on the same tactics, whether independently invented, or by collusion.
I think there’s a secret “Fascist Propaganda for Dummies” paint-by-numbers picture book guide, revised and edited by Fox.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
According to this twat waffle, a group that wants to turn an abandon railroad line into a trail for people to walk on is "communism".

Cawthorn "called the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy with reference to the Ecusta Trail as a communist activity, or communist project, is what it was called."

There is a rock somewhere that is missing the slug that crawled out from under it.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Madison Cawthorn appears to be learning the hard way that Rule Number One of Republican Cocaine Orgies is “You do NOT talk about Republican Cocaine Orgies”.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
According to this twat waffle, a group that wants to turn an abandon railroad line into a trail for people to walk on is "communism".

Cawthorn "called the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy with reference to the Ecusta Trail as a communist activity, or communist project, is what it was called."

There is a rock somewhere that is missing the slug that crawled out from under it.
What a weird situation, from the other article linked in there:

The homeowners News 13 spoke to support the trail and say the legal wrangling is a separate issue, as the trail project goes full steam ahead.
No matter what side of the railroad tracks they live on, neighbors like Evelyne Layton have heard about plans for the Ecusta Trail for years.

"I think it's a great idea... I mean the tracks are sitting their empty," she told News 13.
She supports the 19-mile, multi-use walking, hiking and biking greenway along the railway corridor that would link Hendersonville, Laurel Park, Horse Shoe, Etowah, Pisgah Forest and Brevard.
Earlier this year, law firms began reaching out to Layton.

"Lawyers from out of state. And I thought, 'Hey, why are they getting involved?'" she says.

According to Friends of Ecusta Trail, adjacent landowners along the rail corridor have been contacted by multiple out of state law firms offering to represent them in a lawsuit against the federal government.

Carol Delise is among the property owners seeking compensation after part of her land was granted as a right-of-way to the railroad. She also believes the federal government should have notified her about the situation.

"Well, I just feel the government should send out notification," she said. "I'm in favor of the trail, but I just feel like we wouldn't have known what was happening, had we not received the solicitation from a couple of different law firms."

Friends of Ecusta Trail board member Chris Burns says litigation will do nothing to stop the rail-trail from being developed.

"There's potential that those attorneys can find that those landowners may have a claim," he said. "That claim would be taken up in one specific part of court. The claim would be against the federal government because it's the federal government that actually does railbanking."

CONSERVING CAROLINA REACHES DEAL TO BUY CORRIDOR FROM RAILROAD FOR ECUSTA TRAIL

"These owners are entitled to compensation for the land the government took from them," attorney Thor Hearne of True North Law, LLC said in a statement to News 13. "In addition to being paid the compensation, the owners I represent are also working to resolve the related issues concerning access to these owners' land and mitigating the damage to the owners' land."

Friends of Ecusta Trail is close to closing on the transaction to purchase the corridor, Burns says. The legal proceedings, he stressed, aren’t indicative of widespread support for the trail.

"While lots of people may actually join in on the suit, I'm not sure that the vast majority of those folks are really that discouraged about what's getting ready to happen out here," he said.

Burns added that a couple of property owners who are part of the lawsuit have promised to give whatever money they receive to Friends of Ecusta Trail, to help speed up development of the trail.
It sounds like the claims of communism stem from the practice of the railroad being granted land as right-of-way. Guess we've been doin' a communism since the 1830s, and some lawyers smelled money.

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
One point of rails to trails is that it’s a form of rail banking, preserving rail corridors if needed in some remote future when the US stops being stupid about transportation. Once the corridors are gone, getting them back is a bit spendy.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
And now he's pulled out the old "The evil Demonrats and Immoral Media are at fault for the things that came out of my lie hole!" defense.

Reactions: sandorski

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Madison Cawthorn appears to be learning the hard way that Rule Number One of Republican Cocaine Orgies is “You do NOT talk about Republican Cocaine Orgies”.

I plan to do my part. I am registered as unaffiliated, which means I can choose which primary to vote in.

Even our douch bag (R) senator is supporting one of Cawthorn's opponents in the May primary.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Turns out he's lied about a bunch of other stuff too.

Said he was training for the Paralympics in 2020 but he has never registered as an applicant in the IOC database, and he has never participated in any Olympic qualifying event.

Said his friend left him to die in the 2014 car crash that paralyzed him. Police report says his friend pulled him from the burning vehicle. Cawthorn's family posted their gratitude to the friend on social media after the incident. Cawthorn testified under oath that he has no memory of the crash.

Said he was planning to go to Naval academy before the car crash that left him paralyzed and that the car crash kept him from attending. His application was denied before the crash.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Turns out he's lied about a bunch of other stuff too.

Said he was training for the paralympics in 2020 but he has never registered as an applicant in the IOC database, and he has never participated in any Olympic qualifying event.

Said his friend left him to die in the 2014 car crash that paralyzed him. Police report says his friend pulled him from the burning vehicle. Cawthorne's family posted their gratitude to the friend on social media after the incident. Cawthorne testified under oath that he has no memory of the crash.

Said he was planning to go to Naval academy before the car crash that left him paralyzed and that the car crash kept him from attending. His application was denied before the crash.
The lie about his friend is the one that bothers me the most. Imagine saving your friend from a horrifying car wreck only to have him turn around and say you left him to die so he could further his career.

Like…what kind of psychopath does that.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The lie about his friend is the one that bothers me the most. Imagine saving your friend from a horrifying car wreck only to have him turn around and say you left him to die so he could further his career.

The kind who beats up trees and blames the "left" for the words that came out of his mouth. It's pretty clear he is fucking nuts. For some reason though it makes conservatives happy to send crazy people to congress.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

It's seriously disturbing behavior. I would not want this type of person representing me in congress even if they held the exact same political beliefs that I held.