Caved in roof = totalled? (Now with pics)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
My parents' car port collapsed sometime in the last few days, 12" of snow + ice & it came crashing down. Unfortunately the newest vehicle they own (94 Taurus Wagon) was parked in it.

They haven't dug it out yet, but they can see that the roof of the car is clearly crushed. From what they can tell no windows were broken.

I'm heading out there later today to get some good pictures of it, but from their description I'm guessing insurance will likely total it.

Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? I would guess 12" of snow & ice + roof structure falling from probably 12' at the peak.

Might as well make a poll.

[EDIT]PICS[/EDIT]

Viper GTS

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This wouldnt be to hard to answer. You can call a couple of shops yourself and ask them to give you an idea of how much it would cost to fix it. If it exceeds the value of the car then yes they would total it. .

Im guessing car is $2500 - $3500, so probably so.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
they won't total it. Unless there was some really heavy stuff the frame isn't bent. fix the roof, some new glass, and a few new side panels. Maybe some interior work, but they'll probably be able to fix it.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
This wouldnt be to hard to answer. You can call a couple of shops yourself and ask them to give you an idea to fix it. If it exceeds the value of the car then yes they would total it.

I'm not really in a position to do that at the moment, I'm at work.

Viper GTS

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
If the cost of repair = close to or greater than the value of the car, yes

- Kevin

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
This wouldnt be to hard to answer. You can call a couple of shops yourself and ask them to give you an idea to fix it. If it exceeds the value of the car then yes they would total it.

I'm not really in a position to do that at the moment, I'm at work.

Viper GTS

What, just can't wait until you get home to find out, eh? Ya impatient bastid?

;)

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
totalled = % of total car worth

no way of telling without knowing what percentage your insurance uses, how much the car is worth and how much the damage is estimated at

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: EMPshockwave82
totalled = % of total car worth

no way of telling without knowing what percentage your insurance uses, how much the car is worth and how much the damage is estimated at

Okay. Everyone obviously knows this. It's been said many times already. Read the thread!!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I would estimate KBB at <$4,000. Even if there's no glass or door damage you'd be looking at a hood + roof.

If we make those assumptions can we get an estimate without pictures?

Viper GTS

csiro

Golden Member
May 31, 2001

I'd say they'll total it. A 94 Taurus is approximately $2k. If the roof is caved in good, repair costs would be around there as well.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: csiro
I'd say they'll total it. A 94 Taurus is approximately $2k. If the roof is caved in good, repair costs would be around there as well.

I got KBB private party of around $3500, it's pretty well loaded (3.8 V6, power everything, etc.).

Viper GTS

Place 3 two-by-fours across the front seats, on top of that place a high lift hydraulic jack, on top of that place two more two-by-fours, jack roof back into position :p

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
Let the insurance company total it out. Buy it from them for 10-20% of the value. Take a cutting torch and make it a taurus convertible. Pocket the difference.

Then have one hell of a time getting it reregistered with a salvage title.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Get in there with a rubber mallet and bang that sucker back out..might look a little lumpy..you'll have no problem finding your car in a parking lot...

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
The pillars look ok...maybe it was just the roof that got pressed in (and hood). It looks like the glass broke on pic number 11.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
wow, thats some weight there if the rears sitting that low, my totally unprofessional opinion is that its f*cked. too bad, the car looked in ok condition too, i haven't seen that type of tarus here in ca for a while. they all seemed to dissapear.