Cavalier owns my 240sx :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: rh71
Where are you people finding these highways with those kinds of speed limits ?! Amazing!

Germany don't got Cavaliers ...

Germans are too intelligent to buy a junk mobile like the Cavalier.

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I've driven rental Cavaliers twice--they are the worst car I've ever experienced . . . You should pity your friend.

(Oh--and Hertz classifies the Cavalier as a "mid-size" car--LOL.)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Bulldozer
2001 Camaro SS: 1200rpm @ 60mph.

1997 M3: 2600rpm @ 60mph

That's a perfect example of why the American cars have ultra low top gears. It's for fuel economy...nothing more. The engine in your car is more efficient so you don't need to be turning 2000 rpms to get decent mileage. Same with the M3. I had a '94 Mustang GT with a 5 spd (5.0l V8 engine-I modded it to heck) and it came with a 2.73 rear gear which gave around 19-20 mpg freeway cruising. I changed to a 3.73 rear gear and went from running at 1500rpm in 5th at 60mph to around 2500rpm in 5th at 60mph. Fuel economy dropped to around 15 freeway though. The car was much quicker with that 3.73 rear gear though.

It's a trade off. Be happy, you have a better car.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
If you wanna drift like a mofo, get a truck. Light rear end+torque+RWD and the possibility of having tires that are rock hard=the easiest tail to wag. But drifting doesn't mean you're any good at driving fast.
Usually it does, but you what you described is not a configuration for drifting.

How many F1 drivers drift?
How many Winston Cup drivers drift?
How many Lemans driver drift?

The ONLY time I ever see people drifting on purpose is on loose surfaces or during victory celebrations or just showing off. And unless you define "drifting" as "pulling on the e-brake and dragging the rear end around" a light truck is actually quite a good combo for accomplishing it, it won't be fast. But then if you want fast, why are you drifting on pavement?

Physics lesson here:
The coefficient for static friction is higher than the coefficient for dynamic friction, meaning once something starts sliding it's easier to keep it sliding than it was to get it sliding in the first place. So if you want maximum grip, you gotta keep the tires from sliding, not pitch it into a curve and get the tires pointed in a completely different direction. On loose surfaces you can effectively use the car as a jet ski. But it just doesn't work on good surfaces.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Bulldozer
2001 Camaro SS: 1200rpm @ 60mph.

1997 M3: 2600rpm @ 60mph

That's a perfect example of why the American cars have ultra low top gears. It's for fuel economy...nothing more. The engine in your car is more efficient so you don't need to be turning 2000 rpms to get decent mileage. Same with the M3. I had a '94 Mustang GT with a 5 spd (5.0l V8 engine-I modded it to heck) and it came with a 2.73 rear gear which gave around 19-20 mpg freeway cruising. I changed to a 3.73 rear gear and went from running at 1500rpm in 5th at 60mph to around 2500rpm in 5th at 60mph. Fuel economy dropped to around 15 freeway though. The car was much quicker with that 3.73 rear gear though.

It's a trade off. Be happy, you have a better car.

I know I have a better car :). But I'd like to cruise at low rpm, without feeling like I'm going to... crack a head.

Groovin' on the freeway, gauge is on the red
Gun down on my gasoline, I believe I'm gonna crack a head.

-Led Zeppelin

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
If you wanna drift like a mofo, get a truck. Light rear end+torque+RWD and the possibility of having tires that are rock hard=the easiest tail to wag. But drifting doesn't mean you're any good at driving fast.
Usually it does, but you what you described is not a configuration for drifting.

The ONLY time I ever see people drifting on purpose is on loose surfaces or during victory celebrations or just showing off. And unless you define "drifting" as "pulling on the e-brake and dragging the rear end around" a light truck is actually quite a good combo for accomplishing it, it won't be fast. But then if you want fast, why are you drifting on pavement?

Physics lesson here:
The coefficient for static friction is higher than the coefficient for dynamic friction, meaning once something starts sliding it's easier to keep it sliding than it was to get it sliding in the first place. So if you want maximum grip, you gotta keep the tires from sliding, not pitch it into a curve and get the tires pointed in a completely different direction. On loose surfaces you can effectively use the car as a jet ski. But it just doesn't work on good surfaces.

I drift sometimes because it feels good :). Why I like RWD is I can floor it while turning (only 155hp) and still be able to steer! Drifting is secondary. Not to mention, I don't think front wheels should solely drive a car.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
I drift sometimes because it feels good :). Why I like RWD is I can floor it while turning (only 155hp) and still be able to steer! Drifting is secondary. Not to mention, I don't think front wheels should solely drive a car.

I can understand that. You're not trying to go fast, just have fun. (I've done the same)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

Physics lesson here:

RWD is better for positive handling traits and powering out of a corner.

Sliding is slower and eats up tires, not good for a fast lap time.