cats panting

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
my room is not too hot but seems hot. i'd say in 80s without fan nor air conditioner on.

there are two cats i'm taking care for my friend since he is on his intern and his new place doesn't accept pets. however, with them in my room; they are panting. is it because of hot temperature?

if so, is it okay to retain them in my room overnight or they need something cooler?

-juno

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Are they Maine my excellent compatriot?

If so it could be a sign of heart failure. Our 2 year old cat died of it.

Very odd to see a cat panting as they usually never do it.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: binister

no, both cats are not maine my excellent compatriot bred.

one is some sort of mackerel type cat and other one is just completely black with white spot.

if it's related to heat then i'll let them out of my room.

both are females and are neutered.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Phokus
i've never heard cats do anything but meow before... weird.

both cats are not even 2 years old yet. i have had never heard one of them meow before. one of them tends to hiss a lot. she's probably too shy so she hisses when something comes closer to her.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
One of my cats started panting once when he was playing with the laser pointer. He goes crazy for that thing and won't stop until you put it away. We now have a session time limit for the laser pointer.

So, I would say that they are too hot. You could take them to Petco for a bath and have them get a "lion cut". That will cool them off a little. (They shave all the hair except for the head, feet, and tail).

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
cats will pant when they are extremely upset, such as when you move them to a new location. that's really traumatic to a cat, though it is no big deal to a dog. also, when cats get upset, their temperature can rise. regardless of whether or not they are panting to cool down, having upset cats in a really hot room (and yes, 80 degrees is HOT, fool!) is not a good idea. open a window, turn on the A/C, something. how can you even stand it? anything over 70 degree and i'm sweating like a pig and sleeping on top of the bed.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: binister

Or if they're really scared. My one cat will pant when she's in her pet carrier on the way to the vet.

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
If there is a swimming pool around, toss them in. That will cool them down and they will appreciate it.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Cats are actually very tolerant to heat. I highly doubt that 80+ degrees is too hot for the cat.
There may be something else wrong.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
cats will find the hotest source of heat all the time. My cat opens my drawer and sleeps in it since the dresser is on top of the heat vent so it creates a cat's dream in there. in summer she gets a fast suprise when she finds out its A/C coming out of there... lol

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
My cats pant when they've been running around outside for awhile. Occasionally after running around for awhile inside, but that's rare (since usually they're either sleeping or eating).