Catalyst 10.4 preview- Fix BC2 loading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Cinebench OpenGL scores through the roof with this! Nearly TWICE as fast! :eek:

cb115oglcat104p.gif

Crossfire related, or do single cards show the same?

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Perhaps it's a DX10.1/Shader model 4.1 issue? Radeon 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx and GTX 4xx all do Shader model 4.1 or 5.0 and all reportedly have the issue, where all other Nvidia cards except GT240/220 only do SM 4.0/DX10 and don't have the issue.

Last edited:

deaner

Mar 13, 2009
This is wrong.. Dx10 and Dx11 loaded slowly on ATI cards prior to these drivers, Dx9 loads quickly but looks like ass (no AA, no HBAO, flickering textures). Nvidia does not have this problem with any version of DirectX.

Arghhhh, negative Ghost rider... I have a GTX 470, DX11, and having moved from a GTX 275 DX10 - my load times went from instantly into the Map to a good 30 -40 seconds... known issue. :)

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
My initial thought was DX11 as well, but my friends with 4800 series cards are loading slow as well, so it isn't simple.

Also, while GTX400 cards might be affected by this problem, they were virtually nonexistent when this became a known issue so it became easy to clump the problem as only certain ATI cards having the issue.

I don't know if that happens only in multiplayer mode, but I never experienced that slowdown in single player mode. I don't know if the issue doesn't affect multi GPU configurations.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Arghhhh, negative Ghost rider... I have a GTX 470, DX11, and having moved from a GTX 275 DX10 - my load times went from instantly into the Map to a good 30 -40 seconds... known issue. :)

Ghoooost Rider motorcyle heeeeerrooooo yeah!

Thanks for the update.. Kyle seemed to hint at it but then back pedaled and said not to read anything into it.

ermasta

May 22, 2007
What were you expecting them to do?

EDIT: Rubycon, is that OpenGL performance practical or useful in any programs, or simply for that benchmark only? Thanks for posting!

Are you serious? I was going to be rude but i guess its Friday and i dont whant any drama. Anyway, maybe you didnt read the first post...........

ATI Catalyst™ 10.4 Preview features:
The ATI Catalyst 10.4 Preview provides resolution for the following issue:

* Long load times for new maps in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when using an ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series graphics card

Shilohen

Jul 29, 2009
Are you serious? I was going to be rude but i guess its Friday and i dont whant any drama. Anyway, maybe you didnt read the first post...........

ATI Catalyst™ 10.4 Preview features:
The ATI Catalyst 10.4 Preview provides resolution for the following issue:

* Long load times for new maps in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when using an ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series graphics card

You said "Well these drivers suck for me....it did nothing for me dx9 5750 sapphire", so he was asking you what you were expecting the driver to do. I guess what you meant is that the driver update did not fix the long loading time issue for you, but it looked like it you were expecting it to solve Goldman's last theorem or something.

ermasta

May 22, 2007
You said "Well these drivers suck for me....it did nothing for me dx9 5750 sapphire", so he was asking you what you were expecting the driver to do. I guess what you meant is that the driver update did not fix the long loading time issue for you, but it looked like it you were expecting it to solve Goldman's last theorem or something.

LOL wut?

Let me try this again......Topic of thread = my response.

What did you guys not get? How was i expecting anything else? I thought i was the guy with a driking problem but i guess not.............

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

EDIT: Rubycon, is that OpenGL performance practical or useful in any programs, or simply for that benchmark only? Thanks for posting!

I should find out soon enough.

In the past it was noticeably weaker than my 285GTX.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I should find out soon enough.

In the past it was noticeably weaker than my 285GTX.
Cool, I would be interested in seeing the results :).

LOL wut?

Let me try this again......Topic of thread = my response.

What did you guys not get? How was i expecting anything else? I thought i was the guy with a driking problem but i guess not.............
Evidently. It's video cards, take a deep breath or another shot and calm down. They work for everyone else; I was going to suggest some things but it seems like you'd rather be pissy and bitter than resolve the problem, so enjoy.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009

Evidently. It's video cards, take a deep breath or another shot and calm down. They work for everyone else; I was going to suggest some things but it seems like you'd rather be pissy and bitter than resolve the problem, so enjoy.

Kind of looks like you baited to flame here TBH MrK6. I mean, you did kind of ask him an obvious question. I think we know what he expected them to do. Now the dx9 guy, I think he was only stating that the drivers only help dx11, which apparently is not what he uses.

On the other hand I would like to ask the person using the 5970. Are you absolutely positive that you are using dx11? I had an issue with it because I did not have all of the service packs from Vista. I found I had to install an update to IE to get them to load automatically in my windows update.

run dxdiag and double check. Other than that I am unsure why they would not help with your card, maybe it is not enabled for the dual board yet?

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
Kind of looks like you baited to flame here TBH MrK6. I mean, you did kind of ask him an obvious question. I think we know what he expected them to do. Now the dx9 guy, I think he was only stating that the drivers only help dx11, which apparently is not what he uses.

On the other hand I would like to ask the person using the 5970. Are you absolutely positive that you are using dx11? I had an issue with it because I did not have all of the service packs from Vista. I found I had to install an update to IE to get them to load automatically in my windows update.

run dxdiag and double check. Other than that I am unsure why they would not help with your card, maybe it is not enabled for the dual board yet?

I am positive. I forced D11 in the BC2 ini file. It's not unbearably long, but man my other Nvidia setup loaded much faster.

That said, the 5970 smokes two GTX260's and that has made it worth it.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009

MrK6 - I was expecting them to do exactly what they said they would do - fix the long load times with 5xxx series cards. This driver preview was released for that sole purpose. It's not like I am asking for the world here - I would just like the fix to do specifically what it is supposed to. Does that make sense?

ermasta

May 22, 2007

If he did wanted to help he would not have come in and post a sarcastic response...Now he wants to act like the victim.

You dont have to help me since i did not ask you for it. BTW is not that im pissy , its just the way you came in here.

Good night.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
If he did wanted to help he would not have come in and post a sarcastic response...Now he wants to act like the victim.

You dont have to help me since i did not ask you for it. BTW is not that im pissy , its just the way you came in here.

Good night.
"What were you expecting them to do?" is a legitimate question. Are you seriously that sensitive? Forget I even asked.

MrK6 - I was expecting them to do exactly what they said they would do - fix the long load times with 5xxx series cards. This driver preview was released for that sole purpose. It's not like I am asking for the world here - I would just like the fix to do specifically what it is supposed to. Does that make sense?
Phrases like "these drivers suck" and "same for me" doesn't really give a lot of information, especially what you just described. For all I know, "these drivers suck" could mean your crashing to desktop nonstop, despite them fixing the load times. Did you notice any reduction in load times?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I used to be able to go pee and get something to drink and the maps would still be loading. Now I can barely get something to drink before the map loads. Works great.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
"What were you expecting them to do?" is a legitimate question. Are you seriously that sensitive? Forget I even asked.

Phrases like "these drivers suck" and "same for me" doesn't really give a lot of information, especially what you just described. For all I know, "these drivers suck" could mean your crashing to desktop nonstop, despite them fixing the load times. Did you notice any reduction in load times?

Still don't get it. "Same for me" (which is the only statement attributable to me) is not exactly a loaded comment. I did not experience the gains that the preview driver advertised. What exactly did I say that was so outlandish?