Catalyst 10.3 Benchmarks @WSGF

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I wonder how many sites will re-benchmark versus using the data they already collected. I'm guessing they will be spending enough time running fermi thru its paces and just rely on existing data for cypress.

Nah, I think there is plenty of time for them all to utilize the 10.3 drivers before NDA lifts.
Especially when it's available to them. It might be prudent to let them all know, that benchmarks with anything prior to 10.3's won't be taken seriously and shows a bit of slacking for the particular site. Use latest available drivers or don't bench at all. IMHO.

Last edited:

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
why does everyone keep saying upgrade? they had full retail boxed versions of Windows 7 Pro for $29.99 for several months. all you needed was an .edu email address.

Well, you see I never actually had to buy one, haven't really paid enough attention to detail. Thanks for correcting the error.

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
Hey Keys, just wondering if you can get a hold of a few strategy games to test there, for example Battleforge which is a DX11 game that really taxes the GPU at higher resolutions. I know the fps is not as important in strategy games, but it's still nice to see how the different cards perform.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Hey Keys, just wondering if you can get a hold of a few strategy games to test there, for example Battleforge which is a DX11 game that really taxes the GPU at higher resolutions. I know the fps is not as important in strategy games, but it's still nice to see how the different cards perform.

I've noticed that the demo isn't available anymore. So I'll have to see what I can do. I can't go around buying every game in the universe (so to speak), but I'll definitely try to get any DX11 titles that I can.

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
I wonder how many sites will re-benchmark versus using the data they already collected. I'm guessing they will be spending enough time running fermi thru its paces and just rely on existing data for cypress.
Probably. At least you'd expect the 5870 2GB to be tested with these drivers.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Probably. At least you'd expect the 5870 2GB to be tested with these drivers.

The HD5970 as well, since many gains in performance come from new drivers for Crossfire setups, sometimes significant ones, and when it's top end vs top end, it makes sense to use the latest drivers.
Certainly the HD5970 is more likely to gain performance than the HD5870.

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
I mentioned the 5870 2GB because apparently it will be launched right before Fermi.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I mentioned the 5870 2GB because apparently it will be launched right before Fermi.

Don't forget there will most likely be 2.5GB versions of the 470 and 3GB versions of the 480.
Don't quote me, but OEMs have been know to do this occasionally.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Thanks. Downloading now. Monthly fees? Or not needed to benchmark? Hey, don't look at me like that, I've never tried battleforge!! :D

It's microtransaction based, so I assume the full features are there (i.e. benchmarking), but to be successful when actually playing you need to spend money on "cards" which give you stuff in the game I think, so it's free as far as anything useful for your purpose goes, but as a game it's not so much if you want to do well.

I've never played it either, I just know it's free!

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Well, you see I never actually had to buy one, haven't really paid enough attention to detail. Thanks for correcting the error.

Toyota, I am not sure what the deal was in US, but in Canada it was Windows 7 Pro "upgrade", not the full version.

The point is value. They are selling the same Windows 7 Pro OS upgrade to students for $40 CDN / $30 USD and the upgrade version for the Pro 64-bit is $250 CDN (Futureshop) / $175 USD (Newegg). So just think about the markup on that... I was only comparing that because when I am no longer a student, I will have to think about spending 5x.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
Don't forget there will most likely be 2.5GB versions of the 470 and 3GB versions of the 480.
Don't quote me, but OEMs have been know to do this occasionally.

I expect both AMD and NV to limit consumer cards to around 2GB per GPU as maximum or it would be just too easy to convert them to Tesla/Firestream cards.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I expect both AMD and NV to limit consumer cards to around 2GB per GPU as maximum or it would be just too easy to convert them to Tesla/Firestream cards.

Sorry, but that never stopped them from doubling VRAM in the past.
And a 470 is supposed to have around 1280MB VRAM. It can only be doubled to 2560MB with the memory bus being the same. Same principle for a 480.
But, you never know. 1280 and 1536 for the 470 and 480 respectively may be well more than enough for even this years coming games. Time will tell. Those are some nice chunks of memory on those bad boys.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Nah, I think there is plenty of time for them all to utilize the 10.3 drivers before NDA lifts.
Especially when it's available to them. It might be prudent to let them all know, that benchmarks with anything prior to 10.3's won't be taken seriously and shows a bit of slacking for the particular site. Use latest available drivers or don't bench at all. IMHO.

IMHO I don't think it really matters since AMD/ATi are on a monthly cycle for their drivers,not like you have to wait long for the next new driver release.