Cat6 Line Connector Broke - Need New RJ45

Pettrix

Oct 6, 2017
I broke the RJ45 connector on my flat Cat6 line and I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time installing a new RJ45 plug as the flat Cat6 line wires are SO SMALL and difficult to work with. I need a magnify glass just to make sure I have the right color coded wires. The Cat6 flat wires are so tiny.

Any tips or special connectors out there to help me out?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Get the RJ45s connectors that comes with a wire guide. It's a tiny rectangular piece with 8 holes that you pre-slide the wires into before you put it into the RJ45 jack.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Buy another cable
+

DingDingDing! Correct answer.

OP, if your "flat cable" is anything like the flat Cat5e cables I just got from Newegg, they're not designed for repairing the ends of them.

Seriously, just buy a new cable, OP.

Pettrix

Oct 6, 2017
I can't buy and install a new cable since the cable was pulled through the wall for over 75 feet and is meant to install into an outdoor POE camera. This was done during the house build and the walls are now closed in and sealed.

I have to fix this connection. I have no other option.

Pettrix

Oct 6, 2017
GetAttachmentThumbnail

The above is what the CAT6 company sent me. Is this the order the wires are supposed to enter the RJ45 plug? Does the tab face down in the above order?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I can't buy and install a new cable since the cable was pulled through the wall for over 75 feet and is meant to install into an outdoor POE camera. This was done during the house build and the walls are now closed in and sealed.

I guarantee if the line was pulled 75 feet, there are multiple breaks in the line. I truly do not foresee successful installation without drilling a hole and running another line. You might even have to run conduit.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I guarantee if the line was pulled 75 feet, there are multiple breaks in the line. I truly do not foresee successful installation without drilling a hole and running another line. You might even have to run conduit.
I don't think the word "pulled" was meant to be taken so literally.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
GetAttachmentThumbnail

The above is what the CAT6 company sent me. Is this the order the wires are supposed to enter the RJ45 plug? Does the tab face down in the above order?
Your image is not showing up but the tab should be down. It more than likely is wired to the 568B standard. Can you see the color coding on the other end? If so, you can duplicate what you have on the other end.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Was the cable stapled down? or run in a way that makes using the existing cable to pull another (or two) through the wall a no-go?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Flat data cable was not intended for in wall use. It is not durable enough and is most likely not fire or plenum rated. It also should not be stapled down inside a wall (this holds for all types of data cable) .. They can run through cable rings with no issues. You may be able to pull in a new cable using the old one. A BICSI certified cable installer can do the job for you. https://www.bicsi.org/double.aspx?l=1102&r=1104

Reactions: ch33zw1z