Cat repellents

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I think the neighborhood cats are coming over to my house and pissing in my yard or flower bed areas. I've seen several cats around the house since I moved in and lately I've been smelling what I believe is cat piss (used to have a cat years ago so I know what it smells like).

I need something very inexpensive but humane. Any ideas?

I have a small dog, so need something that won't affect him also.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
22LR

Not sure if you were joking but either way, that's not an acceptable post.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Airsoft gun might do it.

But you would have to be around and actually spot them and shoot them.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Cats hate citrus for the most part. I've used orange and apple oils in spray form to keep my cats off various things.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Live trap them and send them to me. I could use another mouser or two. My main my excellent compatriot can't keep up with the number of field mice we have. Either that or he's just a fat lazy bastard.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Live trap them and send them to me. I could use another mouser or two. My main my excellent compatriot can't keep up with the number of field mice we have. Either that or he's just a fat lazy bastard.

Where ya' at? If within range, I'll give you a couple of good mousers. I'm running out of mice, and moles, and rats, and chipmunks, and... I've only seen one carcass on my porch all winter, so I'm feeding all these cats for nothing. :) Hopefully, this spring, I have time to seal up all the hiding spots in the barn. (Seal as in concrete mixed with coarse steel wool.)

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
My neighbor lets her cat out of the house every night and we frequently see it roaming around our yard.

I plan on purchasing a trap, placing it in my backyard, then turning the cat over to animal control.

Irresponsible pet owners FTL.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
My neighbor lets her cat out of the house every night and we frequently see it roaming around our yard.

I plan on purchasing a trap, placing it in my backyard, then turning the cat over to animal control.

Careful doing that.

If it's chipped and they contact the owner and inform them who brought it in you will at the very least have a upset neighbor and maybe a legal issue on your hands if you bait the trap.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
since when is leaving your cat free irresponsible? everyone who doesn't fear a car will run over it or lives in rural areas does that.
I've had outdoor cats for years and I've never smelled their piss. It's also plenty of cats where I live now, no smell of piss either.
It's always those damn martens that like to shit in front of your door and piss on the car. Cats don't do that.
I find much more irresponsible the people who let their dog shit all over the sidewalk and don't clean up just because there's no police around.

Anyway I think the motion detecting sprinkler is a good idea.

Last edited:

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Careful doing that.

If it's chipped and they contact the owner and inform them who brought it in you will at the very least have a upset neighbor and maybe a legal issue on your hands if you bait the trap.

I don't care if they're upset. I care that they're letting their pet roam free in the neighborhood which is both illegal and inconsiderate. We have a sandbox in our backyard and I don't need my children going to play in what could be the cat's impromptu litter box.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
since when is leaving your cat free irresponsible? everyone who doesn't fear a car will run over it or lives in rural areas does that.
I've had outdoor cats for years and I've never smelled their piss. It's also plenty of cats where I live now, no smell of piss either.
It's always those damn martens that like to shit in front of your door and piss on the car. Cats don't do that.
I find much more irresponsible the people who let their dog shit all over the sidewalk and don't clean up just because there's no police around.

Anyway I think the motion detecting sprinkler is a good idea.

Not only is it against the law, but all pet owners are responsible for anything their animal does. Cat scratches my child? The owner is responsible. Cat pisses on something and kills it? Owner is responsible. Cat gets into a fight with another pet in its own yard and hurts it? On the owner.

I don't have any desire to harm the cat just that the owners keep it in their yard unless leashed. Never would I allow a pet of mine to run free in the neighborhood, dog or cat.

And you're right, I find people who walk their dogs and don't clean up after it equally detestable, if not more. They're actually witnessing their dog shit on someone else's yard and willfully choose to leave it.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I don't care if they're upset. I care that they're letting their pet roam free in the neighborhood which is both illegal and inconsiderate. We have a sandbox in our backyard and I don't need my children going to play in what could be the cat's impromptu litter box.

Check your county laws as some make it illegal to use bait traps and people have been arrested for it.

Also letting cats roam is not illegal in many places like doing that for dogs are.

Even if it is legal to bait traps there you still can't simply do it to a known pet like that as that's what animal control is for if the neighbors refuse to listen.

Last edited:

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Check your county laws as some make it illegal to use bait traps and people have been arrested for it.

Also letting cats roam is not illegal in many places like doing that for dogs are.

It is in my town.

It shall be unlawful for the dog or cat of any person who owns, harbors, or keeps a dog or cat, to run at large. A person, who owns, harbors, or keeps a dog or cat which runs at large shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Yes, I'd research laws before placing a trap.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'd definitely talk to neighbors before starting to shoot or trap cats. Even if it's legal for you to do you may want to examine your soul if your first instinct is to shoot a small furry pet, even if it's on your lawn.