Mar 30, 2006
Howdy...

First things first:

E4500 @ 3.15 GHZ
4 Gig Ram around 800mhz
Gigabyte P35-DS3P Mobo
Gigabyte 3870 with Cat 8.7
Vista 64 Bit SP1
Display: Philips 47inch 1080 HDTV (refresh rate 60hz)
other stuff...

So until recently I was switching Vsynch on and off depending on what game I was playing. For example, playing Bioshock I would enable Vsynch to avoid the tearing issue, but if I was playing CS:S i would disable Vsynch so that I could get the full 100 tic upload to the server (If you know what I'm talking about).

Now suddenly nothing I do will turn Vsynch off. I have used every Vsynch option in the CCC. Always off, Off unless application specifies etc. I have turned it off in games over and over... still nothing. I have even completely wiped the Cat 8.7 drivers, ran driver sweeper, and reloaded them multiple times. Nothing has worked. Games still show all signs of Vsynch being enabled: No visible tearing, FPS locked at 60.

Has anyone else had any experience with this issue? Only thing I can think of now would be a option on the TV, but that shouldn't effect how many frames the vid card puts out right? Also, I haven't messed with any of my TV settings, and my Fiance knows not to F with that kind of stuff.

I am at my wits end, any help would be greatly appreciated.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
So until recently I was switching Vsynch on and off depending on what game I was playing. For example, playing Bioshock I would enable Vsynch to avoid the tearing issue, but if I was playing CS:S i would disable Vsynch so that I could get the full 100 tic upload to the server (If you know what I'm talking about).
I don't, what are you talking about?

Hippiekiller

Mar 30, 2006
Originally posted by: taltamir
I don't, what are you talking about?

For CS:S the tick rate refers to how many times per second (discounting ping...) your computer communicates with the server.

Using console commands cl_cmdrate 100 sets the tick rate for commands coming from the server to 100 from the default 20. All competitive servers and many pubs feature the 100 tick rate. Which provides for better shot registration.

Using console command cl_updaterate 100 has your computer send information to the server 100 times per second. However, if your Frame Rate is only 45 for example, your computer can only send 45. That is why competitive players in CS:S disable Vsynch unless they have a display capable of 100hz refresh rate.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Untick 'Temporal AA' and click 'Use application settings' in the AA panel.