Cases and P4 3Ghz Cooling Questions

Ardan

Mar 9, 2003
I might get a 3ghz P4 because my computer was annihilated by lightning. Should I get an OEM CPU and go for a custom HSF? If so, what combo do you recommend?

What case should I get if I can get a new one? I saw that Antec Sonata case...it looked nice. I don't want something super flashy with a neon light...I want a case that is practical, stylish, and does a good job of dissipating heat. If anyone could point me in the direction of some nice ones, please do! :)

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
I would go for the Retail version of the Processor because you get a 3 year mfg warranty and its only 3 dollars more than the OEM at newegg. If you don't plan to overclock you can just stick with the retail heatsink, you probably can even OC some with the Retail HSF without any problems. If you're want to upgrade heatsinks I would get a Swiftech MCX4000 or Thermalright SLK900U with a 92mm Panaflo L1A fan. More of a budged heatsink combo would be the Alpha PAL 8942 with a Panaflo L1A or YS Tech Adjustable fan.

As for the case The Antec Sonata is a nice case but only has room for 1 120mm fan in the rear, no fans in the front so you only have limited choices in cooling, However the Antec True 380 is a very nice quiet psu so you'll have a nice quiet Computer. I think the Antec SOHO SX1040BII with 400 Watt psu is nice case, its the ever so popular Chieftec style case without a window and a good psu. Thats just my 2 cents

mrzed

Jan 29, 2001
Or the Antec SLK3700AMB

I just got one, and it's got excellent stock cooling, cheaper than the Sonata too. It's noisier stock, because it has a slightly louder PSU, but still better than most systems out there.

Ardan

Mar 9, 2003
The Antec case that was pointed out by the second poster looks great, and I will look into that one. I am not sure if I will get a new case (or if the insurance company will allow us to just build our own), but I will take a serious look at that one. THE SLK3700AMB is what I think it was called. As for that Sonata, it doesn't have room in the front? I obviously don't have a PC to use but I have seen the specs and it says that 1 120mm front fan is optional.