Case not grounded?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
6,889
0
0
I live a part of the country that is VERY dry during this time of year and therefore we have alot of static electricity. I have noticed that if I touch the metal of my computer case, I will get shocked and my computer will lockup. Isn't the case supposed to be grounded?

Jugs
 

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
3,871
0
76
Does that to me when I rub my hand on my monitor then touch my case.

Is your computer on carpet?
 

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
11,084
1
71
juternot, you get a shock BECAUSE it's grounded.
Think about it; if it wasn't, where would the charge go?
You sure do get a lot of static if it'll lockup your comp...I suggest you grab something else other than your comp :)
 

R0b0tN1k

Senior member
Jun 14, 2000
308
0
0
The computer case is grounded through the power supply. When you shock your computer like that, it is probably raising the voltage on the ground planes of all your components and possibly doing Very Bad Things to them. Don't do it. I used to do this all the time with the old 386, so I dunno.
 

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
62,365
14,681
136
Hhmmm....Sounds like the case IS grounded, maybe not very well judging from the reboot behavior. Are you plugged in to a real 3-prong outlet, or cheating with an adapter? Does the wall receptacle grip the plug tightly? Have you tested the receptacle with an inexpensive outlet checker?
 

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
6,889
0
0
Well I'm not doing it on purpose by any means! I will just be walking by and will touch my tower and i'll get a shock. My speakers pop and my computer will lockup, this this has happened about 3 times so far.

I know that the PS grounds the case, but I suppose I just got the concept of conductivity wrong. I thought when a computer was grounded the shock would be absorbed by the ground wire in the cable, no?

My computer is pluggin into a 3 pronged wall outlet, then hooked into a Interex surge suppressor.
 

heng1028

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
1,792
0
0
if you want to touch your case without a shock, just use your feet to touch the metal part of your chair. and you will never have a shock
 

white

Senior member
Nov 2, 2000
988
3
81
the case is grounded through the power supply because the power supply is grounded to earth through your house/apartment/etc. the reason you get shocked when you touch the metal on your case is because you are getting rid of charge that you developed through various activities. friction from walking on your carpet may do that especially in dry weather.