Case Insulation for Sound

vvizecrk

Sep 12, 2000
Im looking to cover the side of my case with some sort of material to dampen the sound. I have a GlobalWin F0P32-1 HSF and it is extremely loud. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sort of material I should insulate the case with in order to allow maximum absorbsion of noise and not prevent air flow. Also any suggestions as to where to purchase specific products designed for this purpose that can't be picked up at the local Home Depot.

Also I am considering purchasing an ALPHA socket A HSF. Is is any less noisy or provide better cooling than the F0P32-1. I had broken the GlobalWin clip and had to rig my own clip together but am afraid of it popping off one day and my CPU burning up.

I have a 900Mhz T-Bird@1050Mhz on A7V board.
Cpu Temp is 34C right now under no stress. But can get up to ~50C.

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
well dynamat sorta works. it was designed to reduce vibrational noise, such as a bass tube in a car or something like that. It will work to some degree but you will pay a lot more than what you will get out of. If you add styrofoam to your case that will just as much as the dynomat, if not more.

Techwhore

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
but with styrofoam, how much would that insulate heat as well as noise. One of the reasons i haven't gone to dynamat was for heat concerns, though i'm sure it retains less heat than styrofoam

webguy

Aug 20, 2000
Dynamat is too expensive, I'll if you throw your 1/2 inch thick rug over your pc will have the same effect, Dynamat just looks better. If you go to home depot you can pick up a piece of R19 (pink stuff) for like 5 bucks for 10 square feet. or you can simply glue 1/4in thick styrofoam to the inside of your case, and at will work. Basically the only reason why you hear your pc is because of the echo that is produced by the walls of the case. Any Good absortive material inside your case will help.

Webguy

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
Dynamat is also heavy. My case was so heavy after I lined it. And it really didn't help that much. Carpet padding is supposed to work well too.

MrNick

Mar 13, 2000
The foam sheets that come with mainboards is OK for insulating the inside if a case. It reduces the sound somewhat without turning you case into a thermos. Something that you might try instead of insulation is putting your PC in your desk. Remove the drawers on one side, and put the case in the hole. This is of course assuming that you have a desk that will work for that.

vvizecrk

Sep 12, 2000
I went and bought some Dynamat. It was expensive. Costed $30 for about 4sq ft. I don't think it was a wise investment but oh well. My problem isn't sound anymore it is heat. Im up to like 53c under stress and at 48c right now. I need to get a new 90mm exhust fan and Im still considering getting an Alpha. What does everyone think about dropping my GW FOP32-1 and getting the alpha.

Nov 20, 1999
You want noise - I have a Globalwin FOP38 and man it's loud - I have to do something about the noise for sure. I will be doing a video review of a Duron 700 @ 1045MHz and a KT7 mobo next week and will try to come up with a solution (cheap)