Question case fan?

bjlockie

Dec 10, 2005
I don't need a case fan but I have one (boxed).
I think my cpu cooler fan is blowing air over the cpu heatsync (~1100 rpm) towards the rear of the case.
If I install the other fan in the rear of the case would both fan run at ~500rpm or am I just adding noise for a lower temp?

Should the rear case fan blow outward or inward (opposite the cpu fan)?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Your CPU fan is just blowing air downward into the CPU cooler fins... it isn't directed anywhere except down, and the airflow would spill out the sides of the heatsink.

if you have an extra fan, mount it in the rear of the case, directing air out, and plug it into the case fan header. Your CPU fan should run independently of any case fan(s.)

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Adding a fan doesn't split the RPM's as you add more.

What does happen is when you add more fans they all end to run at lower speeds if they're PWM by reducing the heat soak by pushing the warm air out the back/side/top of the case. I run several fans and the average speed of them is in the 600-700RPM range and it's whisper quiet.

If you use DC 3-pin fans they usually only run at the specified speed and don't adjust. If you have a limited amount of fan headers for use then look into the Arctic PWM PST series as they daisy chain together. 5-packs average $40.

Also, using a different cooler on the CPU can assist in lowering the temps and slowing the fans as it's removing heat more efficiently through a better design. There are coolers that you can fit 2-3 fans onto that will flush the heat more effectively than a single fan option.

1663850851817.png

I have 2 x CPU for the cooler, 3 x Front for intake, 2 x top for exhaust and a single int he rear for exhaust.

1663850973794.png

Reactions: bigboxes

bjlockie

Dec 10, 2005
I have a Gammaxx 400 v2 cooler and the fan is attached vertically to the inside of the massive heatsinc.
I guess I'll add the rear case fan, I can always turn it off. :)

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Adding a fan doesn't split the RPM's as you add more.

What does happen is when you add more fans they all end to run at lower speeds if they're PWM by reducing the heat soak by pushing the warm air out the back/side/top of the case. I run several fans and the average speed of them is in the 600-700RPM range and it's whisper quiet.

If you use DC 3-pin fans they usually only run at the specified speed and don't adjust. If you have a limited amount of fan headers for use then look into the Arctic PWM PST series as they daisy chain together. 5-packs average $40.

Also, using a different cooler on the CPU can assist in lowering the temps and slowing the fans as it's removing heat more efficiently through a better design. There are coolers that you can fit 2-3 fans onto that will flush the heat more effectively than a single fan option.

View attachment 67948

I have 2 x CPU for the cooler, 3 x Front for intake, 2 x top for exhaust and a single int he rear for exhaust.

View attachment 67949
Exactly. I use Noctua fans and enjoy a very quiet environment. Much different than back in the 2000s. I worked so hard to reduce noise back then. Today, it is easy. I remember using Yate Loons on some build in 2006.

bjlockie

Dec 10, 2005
So I installed the fan by using my own nut so I can't figure how to do it with only the provided parts.
I used the black screw to go from the inside of the case through the fan and through the case to stick out the back of the case (back-screw...) where I put my own nut on.
The fan also came with 4 short screws that I didn't see any way to use.

Attachments

• screw-20220923_172106.jpg
    screw-20220923_172106.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
  • installed-fan-no-nuts-20220923_184808.jpg
    installed-fan-no-nuts-20220923_184808.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 4
  • back-screw-20220923_184922.jpg
    back-screw-20220923_184922.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 3

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The screws go from outside the case through the case into the fan plastic?
Won't that damage the fan plastic?

The screws thread into the plastic holes in the fan. That's how they're made to be mounted.

You CAN get rubber anti-vibration mounts if you prefer. They CAN reduce some of the vibration noise from fans, but they're optional.

• Love
Reactions: bjlockie

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You CAN get rubber anti-vibration mounts if you prefer. They CAN reduce some of the vibration noise from fans, but they're optional.
Those are also a real pain in the butt to deal with as you need to pull those rubber stems through the fan's screw holes and hope you pulled them hard enough so that they get a friction fit, but at the same time not too far as to remove the anti-vibration capability that you used them for in the first place.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Those are also a real pain in the butt to deal with as you need to pull those rubber stems through the fan's screw holes and hope you pulled them hard enough so that they get a friction fit, but at the same time not too far as to remove the anti-vibration capability that you used them for in the first place.
I use them in my server.