Cars in Japan avg 45mpg?! HOW?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Allanv

May 29, 2001
90% of cars in europe are petrol not diesel. But i do drive a 320D BMW and i get 700 miles per tank thats 49.9mpg

but thats motorway driving / freeway to you and i weigh less than you lot so i save gas that way and i dont need a 300lb lunch box for my dinner so take that out of the weight

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Allanv
90% of cars in europe are petrol not diesel. But i do drive a 320D BMW and i get 700 miles per tank thats 49.9mpg

but thats motorway driving / freeway to you and i weigh less than you lot so i save gas that way and i dont need a 300lb lunch box for my dinner so take that out of the weight

:confused:

:roll:

Allanv

May 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

oh its ok to post about british teeth but not about fat americans talk about one sided

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

oh its ok to post about british teeth but not about fat americans talk about one sided

Umm... I posted in that thread. Did you read my posts in it?

prism

Oct 23, 2004

Don't blame our heaviness solely on big bellies. I'm 6' (don't know how many meters that is to you metric folks :D) and when I took a vacation to England, I was towering over 90% of the populace. Thus, we burly Americans need cars that we can drive without being forced into the fetal position.

Allanv

May 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Prism

Don't blame our heaviness solely on big bellies. I'm 6' (don't know how many meters that is to you metric folks :D) and when I took a vacation to England, I was towering over 90% of the populace. Thus, we burly Americans need cars that we can drive without being forced into the fetal position.

i am 6' 2" i weigh 11 st or 73 kilos you must have been in London all the short forieners live there

Allanv

May 29, 2001

Umm... I posted in that thread. Did you read my posts in it?

You must have got my humour by now i have been here long enough it was just a joke well to me anyways

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I don't know if that 45mpg number is accurate, but in a place like India, 1L engines are common. Smaller engines in a car are not uncommon either. The Civic is looked at as a big car with a big engine. Here in the US, a Civic is almost looked down upon by some people for a lack of power.

I'd imagine that Japan is somewhat similar - smaller cars, small engines, etc.

Just simple physics, W = F*D. Decrease the force due to gravity and work will go down, reducing the amount of fuel consumed.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have ridden on the highways in Japan many times and have seen the kind of cars that the Japanese drive. Trust me, they don't average 45 mpg especially since there are so much stop and go driving in highly congested roadways over there.

Allanv

May 29, 2001
in my opinion and i have driven many cars / trucks auto's are the worst for fuel economy.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Your quote says vehicles, not just cars; I believe they make much better use of scooters and motorcycles over there. I had a 50cc scooter that did 35mph tops, but got 100+ mpg. I now have a 150cc scooter/cycle that does 55mph and gets 65mpg. Things like that can raise the average mileage in a hurry.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006

Yes we do, dangit :| It seems like every car today is made with "big" people in mind, short fat people that is. I'm 6' 4" and sick of having to lean my seat back in everything I drive; I can't ever see stoplights because the roof is in the way, and the rearview mirror is often at exactly eye level, so I can't see anything to the front-right of me without leaning back or hunching over.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
Even if that number is inaccurate, Japan and other 1st world countries have a much superior mass transit than us.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BouZouki
Even if that number is inaccurate, Japan and other 1st world countries have a much superior mass transit than us.
Most of those countries are much more compact than ours.
For example, Japan has a population of 127 million in an area roughly the same size as Montana. Of which, 35 million are located in Greater Toyko, which is roughly the same size as the New York City metro area (which has a little over half the population at 18 million).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

yeah..and whats the population by sq/mile?

its not hard to figure out why japan has such a superior mass trasnit.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001

Could it be that while Japan has just under 1/2 the population of the US it is roughly 1/30 the size? Mass transit makes a lot more sense with such a high population density. I've heard that some parking spaces in Tokyo have sold for $500k+.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger

Yes we do, dangit :| It seems like every car today is made with "big" people in mind, short fat people that is. I'm 6' 4" and sick of having to lean my seat back in everything I drive; I can't ever see stoplights because the roof is in the way, and the rearview mirror is often at exactly eye level, so I can't see anything to the front-right of me without leaning back or hunching over.

I am 5'10 and in my focus I have to lean forward to see stoplights. Many a car feels cramped these days.

gingerstewart55

Sep 12, 2007
Why is everyone so surprised other countries have better gas mileage than U.S. made and destined vehicles? Japan imports all its oil, taxes the crap out of it, making a 20 mpg vehicle impractical for most people over there, not to mention taxation on engine sizes as they go ver a liter and get larger. In fact, in Tokyo, one must prove one has the space to park a vehicle before one can even purchase a vehicle there.

And Japan is not alone in what they do to encourage conservation of oil. Italy, for example, also taxes cars on engine size. As the engines get larger, the tax increases exponentially.....only the very wealthy drive these 5L and larger go-fast cars we all lust after in the U.S.

Of course, looking as gas prices in the EU should also give a clue as to the direction the various governments have taken......the average price per liter of gas there is higher than what we in the U.S. pay per gallon. We still have it cheap compared to most of the industrialized world.

But smaller cars, more expensive gas...........much comes from the fact that almost all those other mentioned countries import almost all their oil, their cities are much older and have narrower streets so our "huge" cars would have a heck of a time fitting there, and their population densities are much more biased to cities....not suburbs like here in the U.S.

Then again, most of these countries are about as large as our middling-sized states, so mass transit is much easier to put into place (kinda hard to put in a subway system that runs from Boston to, say, Orlando or Miami...but we drive those distances regularly), and our cities grew up serving cars and trucks. Most of our city and suburb expansion was after WWII, and the car really helped it along. And to drive those distances, whether between home and work or home and grandma's house three states away, Americans made a determination to have larger vehicles over 50 years ago and we haven't let go of that since.

Personally, I'd like a Mini, but the thought of driving one on the Interstate makes me think three times before I'd buy one. I know my smallish mid-sized car, that barely weighs 3K pounds, gets blown around by semis....cannot stand to think what a small car would have happen to it.....and I did drive a very small car once, a Fiat X1/9, and it absolutely sucked driving the Interstate. Was a blast in towns, but on the highway.....small cars suck so badly they provide gravity for half the earth.

We've just developed and expanded a country based on cars......our towns are spread out to no end, we drive long distances between cities for shopping, going to concerts, etc., and we've decided to not be cooped up in sardine cans while driving. That's been our decision....from before the 1950's until now, and it's not going to change any time soon. So instead we pay at the pump for the luxury of having the choice to drive something hospitable while driving.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDI
CNN

"Vehicles in China average around 30 miles per gallon, a figure that is set to rise to about 35 miles per gallon by 2009, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists.

In Europe vehicles average about 37 miles per gallon and are set to get 50 miles a gallon by 2012.

In Japan they currently average 45 miles per gallon."

Ok, in the US we have Hummers and SUV's that lower the avg.
But i doubt those big cars lower the avg by 20mpg.

Small cars in Japan is part of the reason. But since 45mpg is the AVG, that means they have lots of cars that have HIGHER mpg.

How does cars in Japan have such high MPG?

I believe that any car with an engine greater than 2.0l is heavily taxed in Japan.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Funny, my friend who is 6'4" had no trouble fitting into a Lotus Elise...

Oh, and I think you mean fat Americans...burly is a word I'd use to describe someone who is strong and heavily built. I sure as hell wouldn't call the 300lb tub of lard I saw wheeling down the sidewalk yesterday in a motorized wheelchair burly. If you're going to generalize I think it's best to use the most accurate terms. ;)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

90%??? I don't think so. Americans are no bigger than average. You want big boys? Try Netherlands or Denmark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height