Cars: Ignore the airbag wars

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

The obvious implication is that a car with more airbags is safer than one with fewer. If a car has 10 airbags while its competitor has only six, you can just imagine the sorts of injuries you could suffer with four fewer bags.

This is not to say that the LX570 will be anything other than very safe - just like every other Lexus vehicle. It's just that, in the end, airbag counting isn't the most useful way to gauge safety.

Besides, airbags by themselves don't make a car safe. They're complex devices that work with a car's metal body and its seatbelts to protect occupants. Fewer, better designed airbags in a well-engineered car body are worth more than a whole bunch of airbags in a car that offers little protection on its own.

And the proof lies in crash test results from agencies like the government's National Highway Traffic Administration and the private Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
5 point harness+full cage+hans+firesuit FTW!

Hell, just let me drive around a D9R that way if I hit something it'll disappear.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I can just picture in my head someone getting squished between all ten airbags as they deploy at the same time in an accident.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm just curious to know what the repair costs would be if all of these things blow at the same time for a fairly low impact collision.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: vi_edit
I'm just curious to know what the repair costs would be if all of these things blow at the same time for a fairly low impact collision.

</end quote></div>

I've heard of cars being totalled because of the cost of replacing airbags.

Edit:
The best estimates I can find on airbag costs:
$100 for the OEM to buy the airbag from the supplier.
$500-800 to buy it from the OEM
$800-1300 to have it replaced

That is per airbag. (they should go off in pairs...)

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Give me foamy cocoon ala Demolition Man mode, and I'll be happy.

hahaha I was thinking the same thing.

I can't see how 10 airbags will save you when you don't wear a seatbelt in the first place. And at least here in Minnesota, they figure that almost 40% of the drivers (even tho we do have a seatbelt law) don't wear them. And they wonder why more people are getting killed. Faster we go, but the walls and trees still don't move. :p Not to mention the stupid cell phone usage.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Wolfie
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SSSnail
Give me foamy cocoon ala Demolition Man mode, and I'll be happy.</end quote></div>

hahaha I was thinking the same thing.

I can't see how 10 airbags will save you when you don't wear a seatbelt in the first place. And at least here in Minnesota, they figure that almost 40% of the drivers (even tho we do have a seatbelt law) don't wear them. And they wonder why more people are getting killed. Faster we go, but the walls and trees still don't move. :p Not to mention the stupid cell phone usage.

I believe you're actually MORE likely to die in an airbag-equipped car if you don't wear your seatbelt. 'Course, what kind of moron doesn't wear their seatbelt?