Carpenters are in trouble

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: sisq0kidd
That is a crazy way to die. Maybe the killer mistook him for a wall. :D

You didn't need to troll bait with your title though.
Fuck Nail Guns, a real Carpenter uses a Hammer.

And real computer programmers use punch cards, eh gramps?

Now back to bed with you, or the nurses won't give you your pudding tomorrow.

Your father's hammer. This is the tool of a Carpenter. Not as clumsy or random as a nail gun; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Jun 26, 2007
Nail guns have a triggerset in the UK, if it's not pressed on the board it won't fire, i suppose you could remove it and ruin the nail gun but you could also just use a BB pump action with a compressed load to achieve the same thing. After all, there are air rifles powerful enough to kill deer.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
I wonder if DHS will put ex-carpenters like RedDawn on the "list" now. ;)
Like I said a real Carpenter would use a Hammer.:shocked:

This was obviously a Gangland hit in OZ. While they are concentrating on the OMG's the Ethnic Gangsters there are going Apeshit.

Apeshit, huh? Interesting choice of description there...

Them damn scary ethnics!!!! :roll:

Apeshit isn't a racist term, you dipshit.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Dear goodness that is a bad way to go, that X-Ray is horrifying. Glad that they did not give him an MRI...

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008

Maybe thats why you blew your back out? Only idiots use hammers these days.. so.. so Bronze Age...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

Maybe thats why you blew your back out?
No, I ruptured a disc lifting heavy concrete stair treads and that was over 25 years ago.

Only idiots use hammers these days.. so.. so Bronze Age...
:roll: As if you'd even have a clue seeing as I doubt your pudgy ass ever worked a hard days labor in your life let alone built a house.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

That's what I thought until I actually used one. It's the difference between finishing in 30 minutes, and finishing in 3 days.

I'm serious.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Atreus21

That's what I thought until I actually used one. It's the difference between finishing in 30 minutes, and finishing in 3 days.

I'm serious.
They have their place and I'm sure they've become a lot better since I was a Carpenter but there's still a lot of jobs where they'd not work, especially if you have to use a compressor. For instance they'd be to cumbersome for rolling joist or stacking a roof.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005

Worked construction one summer and reminds me of what some older guy I worked with would say. Something along the lines of "back in my day, we took our guns home with us." :p

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I'm serious.
They have their place and I'm sure they've become a lot better since I was a Carpenter but there's still a lot of jobs where they'd not work, especially if you have to use a compressor. For instance they'd be to cumbersome for rolling joist or stacking a roof.

sure, they may not be useful for stacking but very few builders do that anymore. Engineered trusses are cheaper and stronger anyway. I also used a positive placement one for hanging joists when helping a friend build his house. Pretty damn slick.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

I'm serious.

sure, they may not be useful for stacking but very few builders do that anymore. Engineered trusses are cheaper and stronger anyway. I also used a positive placement one for hanging joists when helping a friend build his house. Pretty damn slick.
They've been using them for years and you are right, they are cheaper and stronger but I still think using a Nail gun would be to cumbersome. But I could be wrong, I haven't swung a hammer in over 20+ years.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008

No, I ruptured a disc lifting heavy concrete stair treads and that was over 25 years ago.

:roll: As if you'd even have a clue seeing as I doubt your pudgy ass ever worked a hard days labor in your life let alone built a house.

I think you forgot to take your geritol old man.. What are you doing lifting concrete as a carpenter? Your union wasn't doing its job.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I think you forgot to take your geritol old man.. What are you doing lifting concrete as a carpenter? Your union wasn't doing its job.

Concrete STAIR treads. Who else would put them in?

Meh, there is plenty to blast Red and unions about but seriously "carpenters" do more than just wood.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: dawp
Originally posted by: nonameo
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
There ARE nail guns that use a explosive cap to propel the nail (or something similar) into whatever. I've even picked up a entire clip of the damn things, normally kept under lock and key.

Ramset makes them, and it works on the same principle as "real" guns.

so does Hilti, tho on some you hit the backside with a hammer to fire it.

In my old house the guys that helped me remodel the kitchen had a .38 cal. one (most are .22). They nailed a 1"X 6" to the bottom of a steel girder. The nails went right through the girder (maybe 3/8" thick near the center) with the nails only exhibiting a curve when they came out the other side.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Weak Puke
[

It's all about doing the job boy. I was tired and I used my back instead of my legs. America was built on the backs of it's men, I'm glad to do my part and I have no regrets

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Weak Puke
[

It's all about doing the job boy. I was tired and I used my back instead of my legs. America was built on the backs of it's men, I'm glad to do my part and I have no regrets

Sexist bigot.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
My uncle was on a construction site back in the early 1980s got shot in the head by a nail gun. He was flown by helicopter to a hospital. The guy that shot him showed up at work drunk and upset after his dog died, and was using a nail gun. Lucky he survived with no major brain damage (we think his common sense was slightly off after the accident hehe).