Carpenter Paints Mona Lisa. With a Nailgun.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
nailgunmonalisafake.jpg

CGI - It's a fake, right arm of guy on left disappears at 0:58 seconds on video.
Anyway, nails guns only work on contact with a surface (for safety reasons), last time I checked.

Snopes - http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=58024

Google - Nail gun Monalisa

How Nail Guns Work
Most modern nail guns are built with similar safety catch devices, to keep people from accidentally shooting nails through the air. In the diagram below, you can see how a simple safety mechanism might work in an electric nail gun. The gun has a catch that holds the blade in place. To release the catch, you have to press the gun against something.

Last edited:

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
CGI - It's a fake, right arm of guy on left disappears at 0:58 seconds on video.
Anyway, nails guns only work on contact with a surface (for safety reasons), last time I checked.

Snopes - http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=58024

Google - Nail gun Monalisa

How Nail Guns Work

You can disable the contact safety, but I'm not claiming this video is real

There's another video or two carpenters having a target shooting competition - one of them splits the other guy's nail down the middle.

Fake, but pretty funny.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Outside of the fact that it is physically impossible to be that accurate with a nail gun at that range, you can tell it's fake based on the reactions of the other 2 guys alone.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Fake.

Nail gun keeps on shooting while the guy looked a way that hit on the mark.
Noway the compressor/air tank have enough air to supply that many continuous shots.
The roll of nail isn't long enough to supply the needed nails for the picture.
And last but not least is that nail gun contact-tip have to be depressed against the intended object to fire, or have to be physically pull back by hand (in the video the guy had his hand clear away from the tip).

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ha, the left guy's arm disappears at 0:57.
The guy wearing tan, right? Which arm?
I'm not seeing any disappearing arms.:confused:

Edit: Ah, ok, I see it now - his arm doesn't disappear, that's the problem.
A tiny portion of his arm gets covered up by the white section of the canvas.

I was expecting full-arm vanishing.

Last edited:

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
You've never used a nail gun have you?

nope. i've watched people use them, and they usually have the head against the wood.

but i know the guns send the nails out with a lot of force.

so nail guns cannot be used in "Projectile" mode ?

so some person with a lot of time on their hands hammered a Mona Lisa by hand using nails, and then used that as a prop to make the video. Jesus. wonder how long that that took.

was it for a reality TV show, so there was somebody to pay for it ?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
nope. i've watched people use them, and they usually have the head against the wood.

but i know the guns send the nails out with a lot of force.

so nail guns cannot be used in "Projectile" mode ?

so some person with a lot of time on their hands hammered a Mona Lisa by hand using nails, and then used that as a prop to make the video. Jesus. wonder how long that that took.

was it for a reality TV show, so there was somebody to pay for it ?

You can use nail guns in "projectile" mode if your target is a barn door at roughly 10 paces. They really are not very accurate and are just used that way for scaring the 'new guy' or arsing around.

You could paint the Mona Lisa with one in the same way you could get a room full of monkeys to write Shakespeare.