Carpenter Bees

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Our wood shed seems to be taken over by them. Everytime I have to go into the shed to get the mower I get damn near attacked by them.

Just did a quick search and it seems that the male cannot sting, but the female has a stinger. The female is the borer and egg layer (of course). From what I understand, the females are the ones that need to be killed, in order to stop (or slow) down the carpenter bee cycle.

Anyone know of a good product to use to rid of these bastards?

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
We've had exterminators come out to our house each spring to get rid of them. I'd suggest looking at that route.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Pics?

When I hear people describe anything wildlife, I think about when someone sees a snake........ Uh, Yep, that's a Rat Snake alright.
Find a pic online that shows exactly what they are and I'll help ya'.

shekondar

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Bayer PowerForce Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer

I had carpenter bees in my fence & deck last year - sprayed with this stuff, and haven't seen any since. Also fill the holes with putty once they're gone, or they'll come back. I've also heard that painting the wood will keep them away.

If that fails, napalm. Lots and lots of napalm.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Carpenter bees are cute. I like the way they hover in front of me trying to figure out if I'm a yucca stalk.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
If you kill those bees you are only adding to the billions that are being killed! Would you like to go to jail form helping in a genocide of an entire species sir?

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
Our wood shed seems to be taken over by them. Everytime I have to go into the shed to get the mower I get damn near attacked by them.

Just did a quick search and it seems that the male cannot sting, but the female has a stinger. The female is the borer and egg layer (of course). From what I understand, the females are the ones that need to be killed, in order to stop (or slow) down the carpenter bee cycle.

Anyone know of a good product to use to rid of these bastards?

They drove me crazy for two years.

I sprayed termite killer into the holes they made and poof--gone.

First time I ever saw a queen--what an ugly thing.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
1. Introduce fire ants, killer bees and praying mantis hordes to the shed.
2. watch the carnage.
3. ......
4. profit!!!