Carnivale: Episode 2! (questions/spoilers)

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Still going strong!

What a great series.. anywho, question... what was the signifigance of the thing the kid saw on management's trailer at the end of the episode?? Did I happen to miss something?

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
I didn't know what that thing on the trailer was either. I like this show, the mysteries just keep unfolding.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
The thing he saw on the trailer was being worn by the animal that attacked the WWI soldier in his dream.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
The thing he saw on the trailer was being worn by the animal that attacked the WWI soldier in his dream.

There was an animal during the WWI dreams?

How did I miss that part.. was it during the extended dream sequence towards the end?

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Yep, the bear that attacked the soldier in his dream was wearing the hat.

Good show, but they need to make some headway. Too much "WTF?" each episode. I feel sort of drained after watching an episode from trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe after the first 2 or 3 episodes, things will settle down. It's just starting to get boring since I have no clue what's really going on. On the otherhand, next week looks pretty intense. They start exploiting his powers.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: royaldank
Yep, the bear that attacked the soldier in his dream was wearing the hat.

Good show, but they need to make some headway. Too much "WTF?" each episode. I feel sort of drained after watching an episode from trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe after the first 2 or 3 episodes, things will settle down. It's just starting to get boring since I have no clue what's really going on. On the otherhand, next week looks pretty intense. They start exploiting his powers.

The "WTF" factor is what keeps me wanting more.. if they just make it all make sense then the draw wont be there anymore and it will just be another boring series..

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
The "WTF" factor is what keeps me wanting more.. if they just make it all make sense then the draw wont be there anymore and it will just be another boring series..

I'm not saying they need to get rid of all of it, but there's too much right now. Again, I think it will get settled after another episode or two. It's just dragging a bit right now in my opinion. They have taken their sweet time introducing characters and so forth. I guess I'm just looking forward to the point when you know most of the characters and are watching their "adventures." I guess I'm just saying it could move a bit faster during this introductory part. I could see some folks getting tired of waiting 3 or 4 hours for things to start clicking.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001

I'm not saying they need to get rid of all of it, but there's too much right now. Again, I think it will get settled after another episode or two. It's just dragging a bit right now in my opinion. They have taken their sweet time introducing characters and so forth. I guess I'm just looking forward to the point when you know most of the characters and are watching their "adventures." I guess I'm just saying it could move a bit faster during this introductory part. I could see some folks getting tired of waiting 3 or 4 hours for things to start clicking.

Yeah, but those of us who do wait I can see being rewarded.

As a guy who likes David Lynch movies I must say this series is a plesant suprise. I love it when things don't make sense and force you to wonder... this one seems to be doing just that right now.

If they go and change it to make complete sense then it will just become a plain show about some freaks at a sideshow who have magical powers. If it keeps with the whole magic/demon undertones and refuses to explain everything to everyone then HBO has a great series again.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: LordJezo

There was an animal during the WWII dreams?

How did I miss that part.. was it during the extended dream sequence towards the end?

WWI (1) (one) This show takes place during the mid 1930s during the great depression. How would he be having WWII dreams about a long dead soldier if WWII hasn't even happened yet?

AgentBehemoth

Jun 13, 2003
Well i've only watched this one episode but what I'm wondering is how the preacher is going to play that much of a role if the carnival is moving down south. I thought the interaction of all the characters in the town was the show.

What up with that?

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AgentBehemoth
Well i've only watched this one episode but what I'm wondering is how the preacher is going to play that much of a role if the carnival is moving down south. I thought the interaction of all the characters in the town was the show.

What up with that?

I don't think the Preacher and the Carnival are in the same town. The Preacher hasn't interacted with the carnival outside a dream, has he? I'm assuming the Preacher is in the next town or two they hit. Once they start exploiting Ben's ability I think the Preacher will show up.

I'm not sure what I said earlier made sense or was taken the right way. I think the show is good, but it's a bit frustrating at first. I think after a few episodes are done and you know the characters better, it will get better. I do think it's somewhat slow, but I'll play along since it's been enjoyable so far.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: AgentBehemoth

What up with that?

I don't think the Preacher and the Carnival are in the same town. The Preacher hasn't interacted with the carnival outside a dream, has he? I'm assuming the Preacher is in the next town or two they hit. Once they start exploiting Ben's ability I think the Preacher will show up.

I'm not sure what I said earlier made sense or was taken the right way. I think the show is good, but it's a bit frustrating at first. I think after a few episodes are done and you know the characters better, it will get better. I do think it's somewhat slow, but I'll play along since it's been enjoyable so far.

That was my impression too. The preacher and the carny are only connected through dreams. The carny is in the Midwest, and the preacher is in California (you can see this in all the license plates).

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
That was my impression too. The preacher and the carny are only connected through dreams. The carny is in the Midwest, and the preacher is in California (you can see this in all the license plates).

Also from the first episode when it said "California" on the screen as it moved to the church.

Maybe the circus will move south west into CA...

Also, I wonder what they mean when they say how nothing good happens in the south...

Management also scares me.. I wonder who (s)he/it is..