Carnival Cruise ship nightmare!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Which in a way is a good thing. Imagine if they had to go through thousands of lawsuits. Cruise prices would have to drasticly go up for everyone if they were sued every time something like this happens. Typical lawsuit is a few mil but people can just make up any number they feel they want, so figure it could cost probably over a bil for this one incident.

The compensation seems fair to me. Full reimbursement + free trip of same cost + $500 cash.

Sound shitty to me. Money back, my cost is back at zero. Free trip on a cruise line I will never use again, can it at least be sold? Probably not, but if so how much is it worth? Plus $500 in cash? That isn't much cash honestly. And regardless, so fucking what, my vacation days are gone and I spent them sitting in a dark room full of feces. A better vacation would have been going to work instead. You would have ended up with more money in the end and had a better time since your work has functioning microwaves and toilets.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sound shitty to me. Money back, my cost is back at zero. Free trip on a cruise line I will never use again, can it at least be sold? Probably not, but if so how much is it worth? Plus $500 in cash? That isn't much cash honestly. And regardless, so fucking what, my vacation days are gone and I spent them sitting in a dark room full of feces. A better vacation would have been going to work instead. You would have ended up with more money in the end and had a better time since your work has functioning microwaves and toilets.

yea it really is tough for me to say that would make me feel "okay" with what carnival would give me if i was on that ship. i wouldn't be happy with what they are offering.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
So which cruises are the one that aren't filled with rednecks?

From some of my friends that cruise frequently, Carnival really is bottom of the barrel.

Royal Caribbean/Disney are a lot more upscale, priced accordingly as well.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
yea it really is tough for me to say that would make me feel "okay" with what carnival would give me if i was on that ship. i wouldn't be happy with what they are offering.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a starting point for negotiations. If they take it great. If individuals are still upset try $750 then $1,000.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
So which cruises are the one that aren't filled with rednecks?

I've been on about 5 cruises and I've never noticed many red necks. Most of the demographic is retired people with too much money left. I think I've seen more people with oxygen tanks than red necks.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Wow according to an expert on CNN, the passengers won't be able to sue unless they were physically injured, they waived their right sue when they got on that ship.

The contract you sign/agree to, forbids class action lawsuits, and only allows jury trials in death or personal injury. All other claims have to go through arbitration.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It wouldn't surprise me if it was a starting point for negotiations. If they take it great. If individuals are still upset try $750 then $1,000.

i would want to get what i missed in pay at work on top of all that since i had to use vacation days that i can't get back.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
[redacted] would be able to cover this better but from what I have watched and read they do the complete turnover within hours in a port. Herd the sheep off, quick- efficient clean, herd the new sheep on, leave port. A lot of maintenance is handled at sea

And those ships are expensive. The cheapest ones are $150M while new ones are in the $1B+ range. I'm sure the upkeep is a pretty penny too. It doesn't surprise me they don't leave extras laying around for the once a year they might need them - not to mention the difficulty in having one close by to the cruise ship that needs it. You'd probably need several in the caribbean and mediterranean another one or two for alaska, another one for Hawaii etc etc. I also don't think anyone wants to try transferring 4,000 people in the middle of the ocean either. A couple of people fall in the ocean and get crushed between liners would make for much worse press.

To expand on this, ever watch a video of an aircraft carrier receiving fuel and food from one of it's supply ships? It looks insanely dangerous and time consuming...and those are professionals that are trained to do that. Docking two ships side by side that are the size of an aircraft carrier or bigger and transferring thousands of people would be insanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
[redacted] would be able to cover this better but from what I have watched and read they do the complete turnover within hours in a port. Herd the sheep off, quick- efficient clean, herd the new sheep on, leave port. A lot of maintenance is handled at sea

And those ships are expensive. The cheapest ones are $150M while new ones are in the $1B+ range. I'm sure the upkeep is a pretty penny too. It doesn't surprise me they don't leave extras laying around for the once a year they might need them - not to mention the difficulty in having one close by to the cruise ship that needs it. You'd probably need several in the caribbean and mediterranean another one or two for alaska, another one for Hawaii etc etc. I also don't think anyone wants to try transferring 4,000 people in the middle of the ocean either. A couple of people fall in the ocean and get crushed between liners would make for much worse press.

Royal Caribbean's 3rd Genesis Class ship(Oasis/Allure) is going to cost over $1.3billion.

As for maintenance, its 7 days a week 24 hrs a day at sea or on land. But yes turn around day they typically arrive at 7am, with disembarkation starting at 7:30. New people can embark starting at 11:00am but can only wander about the public areas, official boarding time is 1:00pm, rooms are usually avalible by 1:30pm. All aboard is 3:00pm and the ship sails at 4:30pm.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Haha just saw that the bus broke down.. would be too classic if they tow-trucked it the rest of the way with people still in there.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hahaha wow, that's hilarious. These people will be terrified of going into any public vehicles now. LOL.

If they have to fly back home, they'll really be scared of going in a plane lol.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
triumph-worst-cruise-ever.jpg

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Royal Caribbean's 3rd Genesis Class ship(Oasis/Allure) is going to cost over $1.3billion.

As for maintenance, its 7 days a week 24 hrs a day at sea or on land. But yes turn around day they typically arrive at 7am, with disembarkation starting at 7:30. New people can embark starting at 11:00am but can only wander about the public areas, official boarding time is 1:00pm, rooms are usually avalible by 1:30pm. All aboard is 3:00pm and the ship sails at 4:30pm.

Is that the one being built that can hold 11,200 passengers and will have a walmart inside?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Is that the one being built that can hold 11,200 passengers and will have a walmart inside?

I think you are thinking about one of the several proposals(not by Cruise lines) for floating cities. Like the Freedom Ship proposal(not to be confused with Freedom of the Seas).

Oasis, Allure, and the 3rd Genesis class ship have max capacity of 6296 passengers and 2384 crew.