Caring for someone..

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
My SO is having 4 wisdom teeth broken into smaller pieces, cut out, then sewed back up today at 10am. I'm guessing it's extremely painful? They are prescribing tons of drugs and a few days rest so the blood can clot or something.
Anyone have this done? What am I in for?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Well I'll have to have that done to me soon. I reckon they're gonna need a Jackhammer with the size I let my wisdom teeth grow... ah well.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
Well I'll have to have that done to me soon. I reckon they're gonna need a Jackhammer with the size I let my wisdom teeth grow... ah well.

All 4 of mine have grown out but they are not causing problems.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
are they knocking him out? or just local?

i was knocked out when i had my wisdom teeth extracted, the recovery wasn't too bad

in Navy boot camp, several people had to have wisdom teeth extracted, all they got was a few novaciane shots, they suffered for days afterward

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT

i was knocked out when i had my wisdom teeth extracted, the recovery wasn't too bad

in Navy boot camp, several people had to have wisdom teeth extracted, all they got was a few novaciane shots, they suffered for days afterward

I don't think they are knocking him out. Just some valium before the doctor visit, and local when he gets there. Then they get to cutting.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
I had mine out a few years ago. I suggest keeping him as groggy as possible. Hopefully he'll be fully sedated during the procedure. I was awake for mine. The procedure was ok, as my mouth was completely numb, but the dentist got in over his head as the root of the tooth was somehow fused with my jawbone. He had to cut out a piece of my jaw. About an hour later the numbing agent had worn off and my misery was horrific. At points I was almost screaming at home in pain. And I apparently don't do well with vicodin, as the half-sleep hallucinations were worse than the pain.

Also, you'll likely be helping him change the gauze in his mouth every 30-60 minutes for at least a full 24 hrs.

Good luck. Some people do fine with their wisdom teeth being removed. I didn't.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Originally posted by: j00fek
just feed em the pain killers

So what to eat? Jello? Soup?

Yes. Yogurt I think is good too. Hot soup maybe not. They're also going to have to frequently rinse their mouth out, if I recall correctly, with salt water. And their cheeks will be swollen up like a chip munk. And their breath will be kicking from the open wounds in their mouth. My girlfriend had to have it done. Poor thing was miserable, but the tylenol with codeine helped. I'm fortunate that I haven't needed to have mine removed.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT

I don't think they are knocking him out. Just some valium before the doctor visit, and local when he gets there. Then they get to cutting.

If at all possible have him get the general when getting the wisdom teeth done.

I've had other teeth extracted with just some gas and a local, it sucked and I wouldn't want to try it with all the cutting they have to do.

Soft cold foods are the way to go after. Milkshakes (no straws), jello, etc...

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Pop a few advil and they should be good to go. Even perhaps back to work/school.

I had local when I had mine done. It wasn't painful at all. You just felt pressure.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Originally posted by: j00fek
just feed em the pain killers

So what to eat? Jello? Soup?

Yes. Yogurt I think is good too. Hot soup maybe not. They're also going to have to frequently rinse their mouth out, if I recall correctly, with salt water. And their cheeks will be swollen up like a chip munk. And their breath will be kicking from the open wounds in their mouth. My girlfriend had to have it done. Poor thing was miserable, but the tylenol with codeine helped. I'm fortunate that I haven't needed to have mine removed.

my cousin had her widsom teeth removed a couple days before christmas a few years ago. she kept ice on them as soon as she got home and had very little swelling. the only reason i asked if something was wrong with her was because she was rather quiet, which wasnt normal for her.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Oh no. If at all possible he should be under during the procedure. Being awake for it is HORRIBLE. I'm starting to feel sick remembering it. Honestly.

When he rinses, make sure he doesn't actually spit. He'll need to find a different way to get the blood and saliva out of his mouth, as spitting is apparently bad for the stitches. And no straws, the suction is also bad for the stitches.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

:Q WTF, that's nasty! I was knocked out when I had the 4 out, I think 2 were impacted.

Soft foods/drinks are required, nothing hot, spicy, crunchy or with sharp edges etc. No mouthwash for the first 48 hours at least IIRC, and I had to rinse with warm salty water twice a day to ward off infection and/or dry sockets(?).

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Ive gone through it. I actually had 5 wisdom teeth (2 on my top left). The surgeon was quite happy because mine was the most expensive surgery he had done.

Just be sympathetic. It hurts like hell. But the pain should subside in a few days. The worst I dealt with was the blood oozing out for a few weeks (again I do not believe that was normal).

My best advice to your SO is DO NOT SPIT!!!!! You will regret it later on.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Pop a few advil and they should be good to go. Even perhaps back to work/school.

I had local when I had mine done. It wasn't painful at all. You just felt pressure.

It varies from person to person, depending on how invasive it gets.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
To back up the others that mentioned it, no spitting of any blood after the procedure or using straws to drink. I got bollocked by the nurse for the former.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

:Q WTF, that's nasty! I was knocked out when I had the 4 out, I think 2 were impacted.

Soft foods/drinks are required, nothing hot, spicy, crunchy or with sharp edges etc. No mouthwash for the first 48 hours at least IIRC, and I had to rinse with warm salty water twice a day to ward off infection and/or dry sockets(?).

They are giving him amoxicillin and hydrocodone. But they are sewing the wounds shut. I'm sure she (the doctor) will recommend certain things.
But yes, I hope they knock him out too cause it's gonna suck.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

It varies from person to person, depending on how invasive it gets.

I sure as hell wasn't doing anything useful for the rest of the day. They had to cut through the gums to get at all 4 of mine, do the breakup thing, then fish out the pieces. That and the general (which was waaaay worth it) makes you a bit groggy for a while after you wake up.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Why no spitting? I understand strawsd, you create a vacuum in your mouth - but spitting? How do you rinse with salt water without spitting it out?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
To back up the others that mentioned it, no spitting of any blood after the procedure or using straws to drink. I got bollocked by the nurse for the former.

No spitting. Check.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003

He doesn't deal with pain well. He isn't very "manly."

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Chuck Norris doesn't need pain killers. In-fact, he doesn't need a doctor, he just roundhouse kicked himself in the face, and out they came.