Caring for a house plant...

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
About a year ago my roommate bought a coniferous-looking house plant from a grocery store. He dropped it in the corner and forgot about it. It started to look sick so he dumped it outside, on the deck. That was last summer. Towards the end of the fall, just before the first snowfall, the plant came back to life. It grew. I brought it back in the house, left it by the sliding doors, routinely watered it and now it's growing healthily.

However, the plant is obviously too big for the original pot and probably should be re-potted and given new soil, etc.

My question(s) to you ATOTers with green thumbs: The plant is about two and a half feet tall, how big should the new pot be, and what should I do to ensure it's continued survival during repotting and beyond?

I've taken a keen interest in keeping the plant alive.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
[L=http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/projects/rootrelief.html[/quote]

Thanks, mate. Just what the doctor ordered. You have been instrumental in the plant's continued existance. In honour of your great help, I shall name the plant Howard.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
pics? :)

I love coniferous trees..

If it really is a conifer, it probably doesen't like living indoors.. unless it is a Norfolk Island Pine.. That could be why it came back to life after you put it outside. If it is a Norfolk Island Pine, it should be indoors except summer.

If it's not that, I'll need pics.

How big is the pot that its in now?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: brigden
Eli, I think it's the same as the plant you've pictured.

One
Two
Yep, it is..

You don't need to put it in a bigger pot. The idea is to keep it small, since it is a house plant.

You'll need some new dirt, and some coarse gravel.

Take the plant out of the pot, and fill the bottom inch or so of the pot with the gravel - this is very important for good drainage.

Next take some sissors you don't care about and trim off the last 1/4th of the rootball. Don't worry, it will be fine. :) ONLY do this in spring/summer when it is activly growing, NOT in the fall/winter.

Loosen the remaining roots up with your fingers as said in the article, put some fresh dirt into the pot, and plant to the depth it was before.