Car washing tips from me the detail guy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bernse
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
and to the person taht said using the electric blower is shibby, wanna explain why?

Well, my concern with that is a blower moves a big volume of air really fast... including dust, dirt, fluff bunnys, whatever. So, you'll be blowing all this dust onto your wet car, which makes it, uh, dirty again.

HOWEVER, :beer: for WaTaGuMp trying to help out fellow AT'rs!

:)

Thanks for the good words people think the blower puts dust on the car and it doesnt, if it did I wouldnt do it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
and to the person taht said using the electric blower is shibby, wanna explain why?

Well, my concern with that is a blower moves a big volume of air really fast... including dust, dirt, fluff bunnys, whatever. So, you'll be blowing all this dust onto your wet car, which makes it, uh, dirty again.

and that's different from using a towel that scratches your car how? i find the blower to be quite a good tool, and it has been recommended by autopian members too y'know. and i've never had the problem with dirt being put back on the car with the use of a blower

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

and that's different from using a towel that scratches your car how? i find the blower to be quite a good tool, and it has been recommended by autopian members too y'know. and i've never had the problem with dirt being put back on the car with the use of a blower

A MF cloth that you use to blot dry your car will not introduce any marring. Of course, that's a bit moot, because technically your car should be clean before you dry it anyway.

Some people like blowers, some don't. The same argument could be made against those who use unfiltered water lines.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Whats this autopia url? Every one listed so far is wrong.
Someone verify it and post please.
So far I've went to a dental software website and another was pop up central.

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Descartes
Looks good to me! :beer::D Mind posting your methods?

Hey thanks. Usually goes something like this:

1. :beer:
2. Wash top, rinse, wash car. Usually use dishwasher detergent to strip wax and give me a clean slate.
3. Dry off car with "THE ABSORBER" - one of the greatest things ever. I always take the nozzle off the hose first and let the "sheeting action" (lol to simoniz commercial) get most of the water off, then get the rest off with the chamois.
4. Tape up the plastic parts, etc.
5. Fire up the buffer with 3M SMR (swirl mark remover) and get try and work some of the swirls out.
6. Fire up the buffer with scratch remove and buff out any scratches I may find.
7. Use hand pad to lay down a few layers of 3M hand glaze
8. Use buffer to lay down a few coats of megiuars gold class (nothing special, but it works for me)
9. Take a :beer: break
10. Throw a few more coats on
11. Back out for a wash
12. Wash wheels (royal PITA with the sport package wheels - takes ~5 min per wheel.) Every 5 times or so, take wheels off car and clean the inside.
13. Wax & polish wheels.
14. Lay some tire glaze on the tires
15. Look for excess wax I may have missed, get it off quickly
16. Into the interior - get the mats out, vacuum, occasionally shampoo.
17. Clean plastic with plain water. Black plastic door sills get conditioned.
18. Leather condition the seats.
19. Into the engine bay - wash plastic w/ water (if you're using the hose, cover the accessories with plastic bag)
20. Dress engine bay
21. Quick go-over, check it all out, fix anything.
22. Stand back, "DAMN, that's nice ;)"
23. :beer:

That works for me, of course it changes a bit with each detail session. What works for you, works for you!

Dan

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp
Originally posted by: dmurray14
OH my.

You call yourself a "detail guy" then suggest people dry their cars with an electric blower? Ha, ha. See you at autopia.com or any other detailing message board.

Like I care about the other boards my system works and I have the cars out there to show for it, 10 different people 10 different ways. My clients love the work I do and I am proud of it.

None of you people can see how these cars come out and it amazes me I come here to try and help and yet people knock me without even seeing the cars I do.

Glad it works for you. If you are gonna complain about how we suck because we knock you before seeing your work, post a picture like I did.

Wow a picture yeah you sure can see that up CLOSE HUH? I dont care about your picture cause it doesnt show a thing only seeing it up close can truely show anything.

Way to be mature. You are telling us that we are wrong for criticizing your methods because we can't see your work. I share a picture of my work, you say thats no good, you have to see it close. Whatever. It works for me, I'm proud of it. Sounds like it works for you, and you're proud of it.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

2. Wash top, rinse, wash car. Usually use dishwasher detergent to strip wax and give me a clean slate.
3. Dry off car with "THE ABSORBER" - one of the greatest things ever. I always take the nozzle off the hose first and let the "sheeting action" (lol to simoniz commercial) get most of the water off, then get the rest off with the chamois.
5. Fire up the buffer with 3M SMR (swirl mark remover) and get try and work some of the swirls out.
6. Fire up the buffer with scratch remove and buff out any scratches I may find.
8. Use buffer to lay down a few coats of megiuars gold class (nothing special, but it works for me)
11. Back out for a wash
12. Wash wheels (royal PITA with the sport package wheels - takes ~5 min per wheel.) Every 5 times or so, take wheels off car and clean the inside.
13. Wax & polish wheels.
19. Into the engine bay - wash plastic w/ water (if you're using the hose, cover the accessories with plastic bag)
20. Dress engine bay

That works for me, of course it changes a bit with each detail session. What works for you, works for you!

Dan

Cool, we have a lot of the same methods. I use 3M's SMR on occasion (still have a full bottle), but I've recently started using 3M's Perfect-It III (III not II like the SMR is, I believe--I think it's water-based?) Machine Glaze. It has no fillers, and it's medium abrasiveness really takes car of the surface marring.

The real question is: What kind of beer works best with this method? My personal preference is a nice medium-dark German (I like Franziskaner Weizen) :)

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000

If the towel and car are clean, and you are using a soft enough towel, scratching/swirling will not happen or be absolutely minimal. I'd be more worried of sand/dust flying at your car at 200kph from the blower... but hey, thats just me.

Whatever works for you and makes you happy! I'm not going to knock the blower idea too hard 'cause I've never tried it! Scares the hell outta me! :)

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Whats this autopia url? Every one listed so far is wrong.
Someone verify it and post please.
So far I've went to a dental software website and another was pop up central.

Here. Just be prepared for an overwhelming amount of information with little to no concrete answers. It usually boils down to personal preference from experience, but there is a great wealth of information there. I'd also recommend downloading David Byron's Detailing book (it's in there store for ~$10 I believe).

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
OH my.

You call yourself a "detail guy" then suggest people dry their cars with an electric blower? Ha, ha. See you at autopia.com or any other detailing message board.

Like I care about the other boards my system works and I have the cars out there to show for it, 10 different people 10 different ways. My clients love the work I do and I am proud of it.

None of you people can see how these cars come out and it amazes me I come here to try and help and yet people knock me without even seeing the cars I do.

Glad it works for you. If you are gonna complain about how we suck because we knock you before seeing your work, post a picture like I did.

Wow a picture yeah you sure can see that up CLOSE HUH? I dont care about your picture cause it doesnt show a thing only seeing it up close can truely show anything.

Way to be mature. You are telling us that we are wrong for criticizing your methods because we can't see your work. I share a picture of my work, you say thats no good, you have to see it close. Whatever. It works for me, I'm proud of it. Sounds like it works for you, and you're proud of it.

Unlike you I didnt criticize anyones work all I am saying is if I showed a picture it would look the same cause the camera cant show the true condition of ANY car. I have plenty of clients and I do know what I am doing even if you dont agree with it.

A picture does not show swirl marks spiderwebbing etc etc, that doesnt NOT mean the car does not look good. I gave 2 tips that I consider good for washing dont use them I dont give a rats ass.

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003

11. Back out for a wash
13. Wax & polish wheels.
20. Dress engine bay

Dan

Cool, we have a lot of the same methods. I use 3M's SMR on occasion (still have a full bottle), but I've recently started using 3M's Perfect-It III (III not II like the SMR is, I believe--I think it's water-based?) Machine Glaze. It has no fillers, and it's medium abrasiveness really takes car of the surface marring.

The real question is: What kind of beer works best with this method? My personal preference is a nice medium-dark German (I like Franziskaner Weizen) :)

Ahh, that is the true question ;). BTW, just saw your pic of the "other Z" ;) - looking very nice. I think blue is by far the best color for it!

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
OH my.

Unlike you I didnt criticize anyones work all I am saying is if I showed a picture it would look the same cause the camera cant show the true condition of ANY car. I have plenty of clients and I do know what I am doing even if you dont agree with it.

A picture does not show swirl marks spiderwebbing etc etc, that doesnt NOT mean the car does not look good. I gave 2 tips that I consider good for washing dont use them I dont give a rats ass.

Text

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
You cant read can you? I didnt post about waxing I posted about WASHING TIPS. Terry cloth are fine if your going to WAX yes, but I was giving tips for washing only and terry cloth do NOT finish as well as microfiber do.

As for the cheaper thing your a joke unless you know what my chemicals cost then you have NO clue why I use them. I dont care about price I have to buy them in large quantities so I go that route for a few reasons also. I need to be able to use them in direct sunlight and most retail products dont allow this.

I have been doing this for 14 years so I think I know what I am doing.
As do I. I detailed cars to pay my way through school. It's a crappy job and the pay is crap with high overhead, and customers are stupid (except for the few who know quality work when they see it). It's certainly not something I think anyone should brag about.
And true, microfiber finishes better if you're not waxing afterwards but it's expensive and most people won't even recognize the difference.

I have more to think about here Vic I have weekly clients that are on service programs, so the money for microfiber towels is money well spent. They may not notice the differenece but I do. They trust me with cars that cost alot of money and I will do my best to keep them looking good. You say dont brag about it well I just wanted to help here, I didnt come to brag. I am the owner so I take pride in the job I do and am very proud of it when clients tell me things like dealerships saying how good the cars look when they traded them in for new cars.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

A MF cloth that you use to blot dry your car will not introduce any marring. Of course, that's a bit moot, because technically your car should be clean before you dry it anyway.

Some people like blowers, some don't. The same argument could be made against those who use unfiltered water lines.

yeah, your car is supposed to be 100% clean, but what's the guarantee that that's true. not to mention if your'e using cheap MF towels, the corners/edges aren't MF and are acrylic (or something). if you're using terry cloth towels/diapers then you're SOL and probably putting on swirls anyway.

the adress for autopia is www.autopia.org

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Just want to put a vote in for autopia. Awesome site.. Used to frequent there alot when I was into detailing, now I'm just lazy...:p