Car Stereo Question

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
My cd receiver started slowing dying on me two weeks ago. At first, some of the LEDs went out. Then sometimes the volume would not work. Now it's got to the point where all the LEDs are off and none of the functions work. It just stays at the same volume on the same radio station...thank god I didn't have my radio turned too high before the receiver died.

My questions is...is there a simple fix for my cd receiver, or is it dead? Any suggestions on good places to get it repaired or a new install in the Los Angeles area? Thanks for the help...

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Personally, I would check fuses in the fuse block and also on the radio's wiring harness if applicable. Then move on to checking all wire connections, especially the ground connection. This will pretty much cover the easy troubleshooting you can do; the rest would be internal and not as easy to diagnose/fix. Is the head unit still under warranty?

LakerGod

Platinum Member
May 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BillGates
Personally, I would check fuses in the fuse block and also on the radio's wiring harness if applicable. Then move on to checking all wire connections, especially the ground connection. This will pretty much cover the easy troubleshooting you can do; the rest would be internal and not as easy to diagnose/fix. Is the head unit still under warranty?

The head is a year out of warranty. I'm embarassed to say...i know jack sh!t about cars and car stereos. I know where the fuse box is and that's about it. :eek:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
if you have half a brain, crutchfield.com has some nice headunits. you enter the make/model/year for your car and it ships free with all the necessary instlal parts.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
if you have half a brain, crutchfield.com has some nice headunits. you enter the make/model/year for your car and it ships free with all the necessary instlal parts.

I concur with this; they have nice car audio install guides too... Some are free for the taking without any purchase required. (That's the way it used to be at least)