Car starting to overheat in idle, fan looks like it's bad

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
2000 Maxima SE.

Mechanic tells me you can't buy just the one fan, both front fans come as a single unit for around $300. Is this the truth?

Thanks.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
it's possible it comes as a single unit, some fans are like that.

Text
Here's an aftermarket replacement fan for your maxima, $200.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Make sense. I know when I take the fan off my radiator it comes in one frame with two fans. I honestly would go to a junk yard or at least do a google for Yarddog. It's an internet site that sends emails to a whole bunch of junkyards. They in turn email you back. You'll get it cheaper.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the factory part. I just wanted to make sure the guy wasn't ripping me off.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
Make sense. I know when I take the fan off my radiator it comes in one frame with two fans. I honestly would go to a junk yard or at least do a google for Yarddog. It's an internet site that sends emails to a whole bunch of junkyards. They in turn email you back. You'll get it cheaper.

I did that for my mirror. I got it for $70. Check Ebay, first though.

Skotty

Dec 29, 2006
Are you sure there is something wrong with the fan? Overheating at idle can sometimes be a sign of low coolant level, so check your coolant level too ( preferably when the engine is cool :p )

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Skotty
Are you sure there is something wrong with the fan? Overheating at idle can sometimes be a sign of low coolant level, so check your coolant level too ( preferably when the engine is cool :p )

Yeah, coolant is fine, fan was making noise and is not turning anymore. thanks.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Heh - kinda funny, one of my fans on my 2000 Maxima GLE started making bad noises a couple of weeks ago. I disconnected it (the other is still running fine), and so far the temp hasn't risen above where it always has. I was going to replace it, but haven't looked into the cost yet...damn, $300, I'll probably just take my chances as is.