CAR QUESTION? Whats the best spark plugs you can get? What brand wires?

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A freind at work who has a race car says to use Bosch Platinum Plus 4s'. Any suggestions? And as far as the gap goes, my car will take spark plugs with a gap from .039 to .044 is there any advantage to going with the larger gap size vs. the smaller? Also, I am interested in getting good spark plug wires - any suggestions on that?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It's not gonna make a damn bit of difference if you're putting them in, say, a 93 corolla.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Denso Iridium for the plugs. Much smaller electrode than plat. For the wires there are tons of choices. Accel isn't bad.

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
El cheapo AC Delco for me. Just do not go with the bosche multipoint spark plugs, or whatever they are called, as I have heard too many stories of people having one of the tips break off and do serious damage to the engine.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TonyG
El cheapo AC Delco for me. Just do not go with the bosche multipoint spark plugs, or whatever they are called, as I have heard too many stories of people having one of the tips break off and do serious damage to the engine.

I think those were Splitfire...

dawop

May 30, 2003
They are called split fires spark plugs, and I have never heard of that happening........do you know someone personally that this has happen to?

dawop

May 30, 2003
Originally posted by: TonyG

They are called split fires spark plugs, and I have never heard of that happening........do you know someone personally that this has happen to?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I use the standard Bosch platinums. They're very good plugs for just a little more than what the cheap ones are. I don't really think any of those multiple-electrode plugs makes any kind of difference.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I don't understand the four-point Bosch Platinum plugs. Wouldn't the additional electrodes impede the flame front? Anyway, there's only 1 spark at a time, so it's not like you'll get a stronger spark.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It honestly doesen't really matter.

The only real advantage of the more expensive sparkplugs is a longer life.

As for the gap.. I suggest adjusting it to the smaller side of things. Since the gap widens as you drive, if you make it too large.. it can stress your ignition system and cause misses as it enlarges.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Howard
I don't understand the four-point Bosch Platinum plugs. Wouldn't the additional electrodes impede the flame front? Anyway, there's only 1 spark at a time, so it's not like you'll get a stronger spark.

the premise is that the spark has the easiest path to ground.

however i have had personal experience with bosch platinums' electrodes breaking off so i just use ngk.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've never heard of the splitfire plugs failing like that either.

WhiteKnight77

Mar 10, 2003
GM - AC Delco
Ford - Motorcraft (plug listed on emissions label under hood)
Chrysler - Champion (same as Ford)
Asian makes - Denso or NGK (sometime listed on a label on valve cover, timing cover or other label elsewhere in engine compartment)
European - Bosch

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: Howard

the premise is that the spark has the easiest path to ground.

however i have had personal experience with bosch platinums' electrodes breaking off so i just use ngk.
Do they still make the plugs with the standard center electrode and the ground electrode surrounding it? Rimfire I think they were called.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I just use autolites in my car. Cheap. I don't like multiple pointed plugs because I can't adjust the gap if I'd like. I do pull them and read them now and then to be sure everythings running smooth and I'm using the proper heat range plug. I am picky about my wires though and always buy http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm They have some good reads up like this http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm and are quite honest. I appreciate things like:

How much extra horsepower can I expect when I fit Magnecor Race Wires ?
Despite what is published in advertisements and some vested interest magazine articles, no spark plug wires will generate or "install" additional horsepower.

Horray for honesty from a vendor.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Just use Reg. Bosch Plat's with Bosch Plug wires (Autozone) or Autolite Plug wires (Advance)