Car MP3cd player on the cheap - update - panasonic owns!

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Looking for a fairly cheap car mp3 player. I have a stand alone with an adapter now, and the thing's a real PITA. It skips with some frequency and always needs to have a lap to rest on. Anywho, I'm looking for the cheapest car-mp3cd player that doesn't suck in the $100-$200 range. I guess the thing needs to be ~160watts (that's what my crappy stock system is rated at), and obviously skip-proof.

suggestions?

-update-

I bought the panasonic from crutchfield. It rocks. The cheapest name brand mp3-cd player I could find (140.98 including shipping), and super easy to install. Highly recommended-

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
240 watts and does MP3, $119 shipped

Thats about as cheap as they come, short of getting a no name one from wal-mart

Price is not bad...but is that a good deck??

They, like most headunit dealers, do not make their own. Boss has 2 different makers of hedunits for them, this one is supposed to be pretty good. That and a NEW MP3 headunit with remote for less then $150 is pretty good. This is the cheapest place I have found this one. I almost got it but then decided to raid my Monza and take its headunit, my Rockford MP3.

Like my Rockford headunit I think is made by AC Delco (GM), same as eclipse.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
iOpener... heh

I've almost finished my iOpener in the car mod. In the process of building a power filter to keep the freaky automotive power spikes from frying the machine. With a 30gig hd, wifi to connect to the home network, it'll be great.

If I could afford a touch screen it would be even better. :D

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I got a JVC SX990 off ebay for $130 and its awesome...has dual rca outs for front and rear...removeable faceplate and remote...and all the little bells and whistles an mp3 deck should have :)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Like my Rockford headunit I think is made by AC Delco (GM), same as eclipse.

Uh...no. Eclipse is made by Fujitsu Ten, a Japanese company that OEMs a lot of stuff for cars. Eclipse is top notch stuff.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Panasonic from Crutchfield it's $150 and I think I have a $20 off code. I have it and I love it.

THat's not bad. But i'm diggin Marlin's cause the wattage is supposedly better and the damn thing is cheaper but it looks kinda cheapyy

There is something to be said for a brand name and a quality retailer.

Wattage is not equal, you can't compare a punch45 amp to any other 45watt amp or any 100watt amp for that matter. Actually you might compare a punch45 amp to a sony 200-300 watt amp (if you have owned a punch45 you know what I mean).

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: isaacmacdonald
Panasonic from Crutchfield it's $150 and I think I have a $20 off code. I have it and I love it.

err... "no anti shock memory"

that scares me. I don't want to have to alter my driving habits just to make sure discs won't skip. How hard is it to make your skip?

Mine has not skipped yet, it has been about 2 months since I bought it.

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
i just use a Riovolt SP100 and it works fine...never skips...this is of course you don't mind "tape cassette" quality sound b/c of using the tape adapter...paid $60 on ebay for it a yr ago (they can be had cheaper now)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

that scares me. I don't want to have to alter my driving habits just to make sure discs won't skip. How hard is it to make your skip?

You don't need anti-shock stuff. I have a full aftermarket suspension and 45 series tires and my cd player hardly skips; maybe only over a big expansion joint. My cd changer has never skipped.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
gee... hard to beat that crutchfield panasonic, given the $20 bucks off deal (chubby wallet). My only issue is perhaps installation. In the past I've always relied on a place like BB or CC to do the installation. How big a deal is it to do do it yourself? I have a 98 dodge stratus with one of the really thick stock recievers (I assume there's a standard adapter for it)-

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
gee... hard to beat that crutchfield panasonic, given the $20 bucks off deal (chubby wallet). My only issue is perhaps installation. In the past I've always relied on a place like BB or CC to do the installation. How big a deal is it to do do it yourself? I have a 98 dodge stratus with one of the really thick stock recievers (I assume there's a standard adapter for it)-

I don't know how hard it is but Crutchfield provides the wiring harness and mounting brackets.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
I got this Panasonic head unit on eBay for about $150 shipped. It plays MP3/WMA fine but it seems more sensitive to light scratches than my non-MP3 JVC unit. I don't know if this is the same with all Panasonic units

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002

awesome. I bought this last week, got it friday, and have been loving it for the last 3 days. It doesn't skip, and (aside from an ugly color scheme) really gets the job done well. I love the fact that it can random select from all of the files (not just one folder). anyway, thanks for the tip, it worked out very well. For everyone else, I'd highly recommend this product!

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket

You don't need anti-shock stuff. I have a full aftermarket suspension and 45 series tires and my cd player hardly skips; maybe only over a big expansion joint. My cd changer has never skipped.

I think he's talking about the Stereos in Eclipse. There is noway AC Delco makes the Eclipse you're talking about.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

awesome. I bought this last week, got it friday, and have been loving it for the last 3 days. It doesn't skip, and (aside from an ugly color scheme) really gets the job done well. I love the fact that it can random select from all of the files (not just one folder). anyway, thanks for the tip, it worked out very well. For everyone else, I'd highly recommend this product!

Kewl!