Car gurus: Replacing springs without changing the shocks?

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
Hey guys i have a question. I am ordering wheels soon as is considering changing the springs for my car.
I have a 2k Jetta and wants to lower my car about 1.5 inches all around and to decrease body roll from cornering. I have heard from the vortex that changin the car's OEM springs without changing the shocks would cause the shocks to be shot. I would get coilovers but they are TOO damn expensive $1000+

I refuse to go with cheap parts so i won't be getting coilovers :(

so will changing the OEM springs to aftermarket springs be a threat to my shocks.

Thanks.
the peeps on the vortex aren't as eager to reply as the anandtechers, so i am gonna try here first, plus the anandtechers are smarter ;)

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You should check first with the manufacturer of the lowering kit. It is only they that can give you a definitive answer.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Yes... increasing the spring rate of your springs (ie. make them stiffer) without replacing your shocks accordingly will decrease the life of your shocks significantly... Also you wont see a big difference in handling (might be even worse, due to the decreased amount of suspension travel available after the car is lowered without replacing shocks)... If you use springs that are too stiff, your car will become "bouncy" since your shocks cannot handle the increased spring rate...

You dont need to buy coilovers... just get a set of aftermarket springs and shocks that match each other, and you will see a BIG difference in handling compared to your stock setup...

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Kwan1
so just springs and shocks? will do the trick insted of coilovers? any other opinions?

Coilovers are basically just a set of springs & shocks, nothing more... However they were designed and developed by the same company to work effectively with each other...

IMO, you dont need coilovers for just steet use... a nicely matched shocks/springs set would work just as good...

You can get adjustable shocks (eg. KYB AGX's, Koni Yellow's) too, which would allow you to adjust the stiffness of the shocks to match your spring rates... This way you can even do some suspension tuning yourself...

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Just remember, H&R/Neuspeed are basically the exact same springs, they are just branded different...

H&R/Neuspeed Sport springs are quite good for street use... they are just slightly stiffer than stock springs, so it wouldnt hurt you stock springs too much if u dont wanna get aftermarket shocks immediately... But as a result, it wouldnt decrease body roll by too much, and u wont notice any difference in handling... They are basically just for looks...

H&R/Neuspeed Race springs on the other hand, are VERY stiff... lowers your car by a lot as well... you will definitely not be able to use them with your stock shocks, they will be shot in a matter of weeks...

Eibach Pro-Kits are like H&R Sports... while Eibach Sportlines lower the car a bit more than H&R Sports but not as much as H&R Race... So you can kinda look at Eibach Sportlines as an in-between... Eibach springs are generally not as stiff also...

Hope this info helps... You might also wanna go to some VW forums and get some more opinions on what ppl think about these springs...

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
wow BCYL you are the man. Thanks for all the detailed info, got most of my confusions cleared up. May i ask what u do for a living? how u know all this about cars? or are u just an car enthusiast?

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Kwan1
wow BCYL you are the man. Thanks for all the detailed info, got most of my confusions cleared up. May i ask what u do for a living? how u know all this about cars? or are u just an car enthusiast?

I am just another car enthusiast... I am a Software Developer, my job has nothing to do with cars...

I used Eibach Sportlines before on my previous car with stock shocks... they are OK, gives the car a nice look but not much improvement in handling...

With my current car I am using Suspension Technique Springs w/ Bilstein shocks... this combination works great for me, handling has been greatly improved over stock setup... but it's mostly becuz of the shocks (since I ran stock shocks on these springs for a while before getting the bilsteins... with only the springs there was less bodyroll, but the car feels bouncy becuz the stock shocks cannot handle it)... I also had a set of Neuspeed Sports, but they were too soft for my taste... Suspension Technique springs dont lower the car very much, but are pretty stiff... that's why I like them (nice and stiff but I dont have to slow down too much on bumps)... dont think they are available for Jettas though...

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Eibach Pro-Kits and KYB AGX's are the best combo for my setup, looks and performance.

Coilovers are expensive and are basically springs with an adjustable thread (?terminology?).
In fact, ground controls use eibach springs.

With coilovers you will need shocks/struts as well.
It is not a replacement for both.

If you want to do it right, get both springs and shocks/struts and change/install at the same time.
It will save you a lot of trouble doing it once right.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: psteng19
Eibach Pro-Kits and KYB AGX's are the best combo for my setup, looks and performance.

Coilovers are expensive and are basically springs with an adjustable thread (?terminology?).
In fact, ground controls use eibach springs.

With coilovers you will need shocks/struts as well.
It is not a replacement for both.

If you want to do it right, get both springs and shocks/struts and change/install at the same time.
It will save you a lot of trouble doing it once right.

There are actually 2 kind of coilovers...

One kind is simply springs with adjustable threads so you can set it to whatever height you want...

The REAL coilovers are actually a set of well-matched springs/shocks...

Here's an example...

I think this is what Kwan1 was referring to when he said coilovers in the original post...

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
Coilovers are too expensive for me anyway. I am thinking i am gonna get H&R sports with Blisten shock. Most people over in the Vwvortex recommends this setup so i'll just follow the crowd. That was be my next project after the wheels and tires which is gonna run me 1100 from wheelmax.com :Q I just wanted to do some researching before i get into it. Thanks for the info!

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Well good luck with your modifications... If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help :)