Car for college question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Unsickle

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000

<< Why can other states like CA have so many supurb state school like UC-B, UCLA, UCSD, and Texas only have just one? >>

Because Texas is one of the worst places to live in America. I'd strongly suggest going out of state to see what life is like with hills on the horizon, rather than the concrete jungle that is Houston. I am a Cal student, but don't come here. Berkeley sucks.

stonerdave

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2000
unsickle, why don't you like berkeley? I'm not a student there, nor do i plan to go there (I've only been to Cali once, and I was too young to remember)...just curious.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Elemental007:

One more suggestion, if you do go with the Jetta, make sure you are getting the 1.8T engine, not the 2.0L one... The 2.0L engine is very old technology, eats tons of gas, but no power... So get the Jetta (or any VW car for that matter) only if you are going to get the 1.8T engine... otherwise don't bother with the 2.0....

Just my opinion...

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

<< Because Texas is one of the worst places to live in America. >>

Alright. Now you pissed me off.

1) I agree that Houston is a bad city. It's a result of Bush putting too much trust into the industry that they would environmentally regulate themselves.

2) Give me more than one reason. I would hope for a college student you could justify a claim with more than one completely irrelevant issue. Or are you the typcal product of californian public schools? Eh, I guess it's asking a little bit too much to actually ask you to, you know, actually justify a position and SEEM educated. Excuse me.

Oh, btw, blow me you dick.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
If you like the Prelude's &quot;Sport Shift&quot; you aren't really in the market for any of these cars. All four of the cars you mention are intended to be outfitted with at least a 5-speed (there may be a 6-speed option on the Camaro). Don't make the most common mistake made when buying a sports car, get a manual transmission, they are much more fun, make the car accelerate faster (usu. 0.5-1.0 sec in 0-60 time), and save gas to boot. The Camaro will be terrible in the winter, but that depends on where you will be driving it, my aunt had a Camaro Z28 and couldn't get it up her driveway if there was snow (a regular suburban driveway, about 10 degree incline at the most). The Camaro will also be a better target for theft, especially in a college town and no matter what kind of security system you use if someone wants the car they can get it. Given the same opportunity I would take the Prelude because I have had great experience with Hondas. My current car, a 1988 Accord LXi, has 191,000 miles and change and still runs perfectly. Given your post, however, it does not look as though you would be one to keep a car for that long. I should also point out that Honda owns Acura and the Integra would be every bit as reliable as the Prelude. The Jetta is a nice car, and rock solid, but more of a sports sedan than a sports coupe. God I wish I had that kind of money to waste.

Aaron Meyer

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Wait, wait, wait. You're complaining about OTHER kids having nice cars? WTF is wrong with you? I begged and pleaded my parents to get me a '95 Contour SE w/ 5 speed. You're already sick of it? You know how much you can do to a Contour? There are plenty of ways to get it to SVT standards and most car enthusiasts will respect the SVT Contour. I'd KILL to have a SVT Contour. That's just me though.

As for the Camaro, it's 305HP. The 6 speed is nice, if you're into toasting dudes off the line. It's the damn 1-4 shift that just annoys every car enthusiast. The car is heavy, doesn't feel refined, and has gobs and gobs of the same plastic GM throws into their crappy Pontiac line. You're better off with a Prelude. Not the SH, mind you...to be thoroughly enjoyed you need to go manual with the SH. Driving downtown during rush hour isn't fun in a manual.

The Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T. That's a trendy car...girls like VWs. Hmm...did you say something about image conscientious? It's a nice car though. With some money, you can add some aftermarket parts and chips that'll make the car a real sporty car.

The Acura Integra. Wow...yet another popular car. It could just be your taste in cars...I'll keep telling myself that. I don't like the car. It's reliable though.

If I was given $20,000 as of RIGHT NOW, I'd give it to my parents. Sigh... money is short so I have to find another job:( I only have $200 left in my checking account:( I've always been a frugal sumbitch...I've had the same clothes since 8th grade! Lucky having baggy ass pants was in back then, or else they wouldn't fit me now, HAHA! However, I need no attention as I can ADMIT that I AM SPOILED! I have a cable modem, I have a nice computer, I have the most supportive and understanding family and friends, I have everything I could ever need(except for a whole strawberry cheesecake...gosh I need one of those right now). I even was lucky enough to have a friend let me borrow his car while he is away at college. He'll be taking it next year, but I'll be in college next year too. If I didn't have that, I'd be driving a '82 Volvo GLE. I like that car for some reason...must be because even Dodge Ram 3500s get out of the way for me:D

Be kind to your parents, be considerate when you're buying. Go used. Out of all the cars you listed, I'd say get the Acura Integra. Honda's and Acura's are so reliable, they make me want one sometimes.

Paul

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Yeah, I said everything I would get would be used. My dad is a finance major and he always tells me how much of a waste brand new cars are.

And BTW my Countour has a Zetec - not a Duratec. There is really no way to get that to SVT standards, being that I hae a l4 and an automatic. I begged and pleaded for at least a duratec and a stick but my he said no because he didn't want me racing it.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
That's what I got the Zetec auto, and it does me just fine. I live in downtown Atlanta so I really don't need the extra power, gas mileage is more important right now. Shifting the car for myself would just be a pain in all the stop n' go that I sit in. I plan on keeping this Contour until the wheels fall off of it. I do all the work on it myself that I can (a strut has recently died on me so I'm changing all 4 in the next month or so), and I drive it like I stole it. Hasn't left me stranded yet.

You say you want a sports coupe? Check into the Mercury Cougar. Same platform as the Contour, same engine choices, same suspension setup, etc. Consider it a 2 door Contour. They're nice cars, and now the Cougar S model is coming out sometime soon with a stiffer suspension and the engine out of the SVT Contour. Should be a pretty nice car. When you get ready for college, you should be able to pick up a 2001 model for a song and come out with a loaded laptop.

Forget new cars, let someone else take the depreciation hit. Pick up a newer used car, like 1 or 2 model years old and with low mileage. You'll still have some factory warranty left and you'll save money. Two major bonuses.

I test drove a Jetta just for the hell of it and wasn't too happy with the suspension. It'd need some work for it to handle how I'd like.

BTW, when I got my Contour, my mom made me get the 4 cylinder and automagic for the same reason you got yours. She knew I'd be out causing trouble on the streets. She was probably right, but I have still managed to get myself into trouble with this car. Stupid 110 MPH speed limiter.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

<< You say you want a sports coupe? Check into the Mercury Cougar. Same platform as the Contour, same engine choices, same suspension setup, etc. Consider it a 2 door Contour. They're nice cars, and now the Cougar S model is coming out sometime soon with a stiffer suspension and the engine out of the SVT Contour. >>

But they're sooo ugly :p

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
whats with all these ricey jap cars??
get the Camaro! its the best bang-for-buck car you could possibly get right now, the LS1 engine is amazing, with a handfull of simple cheap mods that car will be running high 12's in the 1/4!

you won't regret it. and don't even think of getting an automatic tranny!

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000

<< I plan on keeping this Contour until the wheels fall off of it. >>

Yeah, and if Ford's new Focus' can be recalled for wheels that can fall off when driving, what makes us think our contours won't get recalled prematurely?

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Hmm.. 75,000 miles and 5 years on this car and no troubles from it. I have a couple of outstanding recalls for some crap that doesn't bother me too much. I might get em fixed when I can deal with not having a car for a day or two. I know that one is something in the resistor pack for the heater. I'm not too worried about it.

Cougars ugly? Hmm. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I like em.. I like Ford's new edge styling, at least on the Cougar. Can't say I like the new Mustang, but I think they did a good job with the Cougar.

I'd avoid those F-bodies like the plague. I've read about so many troubles with them. Big one being a weak driveshaft when you start adding horsepower. Not to mention I think that the Camaro looks like crap. The Firechicken looks pretty sharp, but a bit too flashy. They'll attract too much attention from Officer Friendly...

HardTech

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
First off, the Integra and Prelude AREN'T ricey jap cars.

Ricey is when you put DOHC VTEC stickers all over it and put a 3-foot wing on it and a huge tip and think you're all that.

I have a 98 Prelude, and I love it. But honestly, when you're in college people will bang into your car left and right, you're gonna be parking it outside the majority of the time you're there.. just get a beater. I had a 4th generation Accord before I got the Prelude and that thing was a blast to drive. See if you can pick one up (manual) that doesn't have over 100k miles on it. Then, fill it with gas, change the oil every 3500 miles, and never even worry about it. They are a dime a dozen so thieves won't be stealing it, and it's so cheap that you can just junk it after college (if you have the spare cash.. you might be able to sell it for parts)

Oh, and if you DO get a nice car, invest in a nice security system. Yeah, if a thief wants to take it badly enough (provided he has enough brains.. something not every thief has), he'll take it. But I SERIOUSLY doubt that any college student knows enough about alarms to disable like 5 options before being able to start the car. Especially if the install on the alarm is top notch.

Ok, break the glass and cut the wires to the brain. Oops, the brain and siren are running off of a second power source! I go under the car and cut the wires for that too. I somehow fabricate a key and start the ignition.. Uh oh, the starter kill comes in! I somehow disable that and I'm scot-free! Crapola, the fuel cutoff doesn't send any fuel to the engine! I bypass that and.. lo and behold, the silent alarm triggered my car alarm pager that I never forget to take off, and by that time (SEVERAL minutes) I have called the cops and busted yo butt!

The first thing I'm gonna buy for my car is an alarm system. And I'm spending about $500-700 on it. I don't care if you guys think it's too much, I think the cost justify the means. I'd rather spend $1000 to protect a $23k investment than to spend $100 and see them BOTH gone within a matter of weeks.

Pod

Feb 29, 2000
Do what I did and get it yourself. My Taurus works fine and is less likely to get jacked than something your parents bought.

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The 2002 Integra is probably going to be out of your price range since I heard they are going to revamp it to compete with BMW etc. It'll probably be renamed to Acura RS or something with 6 speed manual and 220 hp RWD. FYI
These are just rumors

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Damn, Novon. Thanks for the heads up.

Everyone wants a piece of the 328 market.

Maybe I'll settle with an older prelude...sweet...still

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
or maybe with the jetta, get the 2.8L V6. What are your opinions on that, anyone?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Get the z28 or a mustang GT. You will never look back. Forget the foreign cars. Get american trust me.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
a year and a half off....

wait for a year and then get back to us...

this is really too early...

meaning, you have no idea what laptops will be like in the future. with development of LCDs, you may be getting more of a laptop than you bargained for, so you can aim for a more expensive car... i expect notebook prices to fall. and by next year, the mobile parts from nvidia and ati will be out, meaning geforce and radeon respectively... not that the mobile parts will necessarily be named that...

besides, what if you want a pda or something... or a digital camera.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Why not get a Maxima and save a few bucks as compared to getting a BMW? By 2002 it's gonna have a 3.5L V6 pushing 260hp.

It's a sporty car that can fit 4 people comfortably. Plus you can put the money you saved towards your savings/bonds.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
a BMW is no where near my price range and I'm really looking for a sportier car than a Maxima. I am stuck with a lame underpowered family sedan right now, and I don't want that to happen with my next car.