Car Engines.

saftey

Banned
Apr 29, 2002
Okay so we got horizontaly opposed/flat,straight/inline,v,w,and rotary engines does anyone here know of any other types on engines in terms of cars?my friend has these memories of some od cylinder shaped engine with 60 or so pistons in a circle around the cylinder ,I realize it sounds odd but he doesnt remember where exactly that was and the name of it.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I don't know, but i'm absolutely in love with my horizontal 6...looks mean, and sounds beautiful.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Yeah, it's probably a radial...but I don't remember any with 60(!) cylinders! Slim chance that it's a rotary (not Wankel), those had the cylinders rotating with the prop, the crankshaft fixed...but those aren't very common :)

JC

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Quixfire
It's called a radial engine, mostly used in aircraft prior to the jet engine.

And typiclly they had a lot less than 60 pistons. more like 6-12.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
The problem with radials is the tendancy of the lower pistons to become oil fouled.

But they were great for airplanes!

Don't forget Dogde's ( and others ) slant 6's

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: Quixfire
It's called a radial engine, mostly used in aircraft prior to the jet engine.

And typiclly they had a lot less than 60 pistons. more like 6-12.
All the ones I've seen had an odd number of cylinders. Something to do with balance?

saftey

Banned
Apr 29, 2002
wow i love this forum full of such inteligence.Flat six?you own a porsche?.
a slant 6?any pics or info on thoose?

Fandu

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not widely known, and long forgotten, is the K - Cycle Engine It was under development in Winnipeg Manitoba during the late '70's. Development ceased in the min '80's and AFAIK there is no ongoing R&D.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
Oh, you meant an odd number per bank, not total number... I'm not sure why it seems like they are all odd numbers, very good question.. Hmmmm.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: saftey
wow im having a real hard time finding pictures of slant 6 engine.
Here's one from allpar.com.

Some people consider the Slant-6 to be just an I6 tilted over a bit to gain hood clearance.
They were good engines in any case.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
this is what a "normal" radial engine looks like.

On a side note, Harley Davidson engines are derived from radial engines. They basicaly just took two pistons from a radial engine. Thats why they "lope" so much when they run. Instead of the pistons working like a normal two cylinder (one goes up while the other goes down) with the HD engine both pistons are moving up and down togather. (though they are slightly staggered)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, that K-Cycle engine is very interesting.

It's definately a very good idea, but it's probably just not worth it.. It's making a simple machine much too complicated for the gains, or something. :)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fandu
Not widely known, and long forgotten, is the <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umoliv04/K%20-%20Cycle/index.html" target=blank>K - Cycle Engine</a> It was under development in Winnipeg Manitoba during the late '70's. Development ceased in the min '80's and AFAIK there is no ongoing R&D.

Hmm.. that's pretty interesting. Wonder what killed it? (/me too lazy to do research on the topic)

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
I couldn't really find anything else on it, just looking quickly.. :Q

It would be interesting to know what exactly killed the project..

There is, of course, the 8 cycle engine. But that was long ago, doesen't really relate to cars. ;)

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Mmmm...

Trying to find some pics.. But was reading about this GM made locomotive engine..

Inline 16 (yes, 16.. lol)
Bore - 9 1/6"
Stroke - 10"
Displacement per cylinder - 654C.I.
Total displacement - 10,464C.I.
Idle RPM - 315
Max RPM - 900

Mmm.... 4,300 horses...

Anyone wanna build a dune buggy? :D