Car electrical problems

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant. A few days ago I started it up to notice my stock radio is getting no power and wont turn on. Later when i get out of the car I notice my remote to lock the doors is no longer working. The day after that I notice again that my guages aren't going to zero when I turn my car off like the used to. And again the next day the map and dome lights are no longer working and oddly the little compass is displaying Comm error.

Yea so somethings really screwed up and I'm guessing its some kind of short. Any idea how I would check for something like this. Do you think I can fix this on my own?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Bryf50
I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant. A few days ago I started it up to notice my stock radio is getting no power and wont turn on. Later when i get out of the car I notice my remote to lock the doors is no longer working. The day after that I notice again that my guages aren't going to zero when I turn my car off like the used to. And again the next day the map and dome lights are no longer working and oddly the little compass is displaying Comm error.

Yea so somethings really screwed up and I'm guessing its some kind of short. Any idea how I would check for something like this. Do you think I can fix this on my own?
First thing I'd do is start checking fuses. If you find a blown fuse, you've narrowed it down to what circuit it's in. Shorts can be very time-consuming to troubleshoot. You know what's not working, you'll have to start dissasembling to trace the wires on those circuits. Be aware that there may be other items on that circuit that you haven't figured out aren't working yet. You'll have to investigate those too. If you have a short, you'll have a heck of a time finding it without a wiring diagram. Assuming that's what's actually wrong. You could have a grounding problem or even a module of some sort that has failed. You need a wiring diagram.

I'd take it in if I were you.

Then again, maybe yours is a common problem and someone here is going to chime right in and tell you exactly what you need to do.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Some cars have a "body control computer" that has many of the non-engine related electrical functions integrated into it. Maybe yours has one, and it's going bad or got water in it or something? Or it could be a bad ground somewhere, or even a bad battery. Owners of 8 series BMWs have reported some crazy shit happening when the batteries are low - things you'd never normally associate with bad batteries.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Black88GTA
Some cars have a "body control computer" that has many of the non-engine related electrical functions integrated into it. Maybe yours has one, and it's going bad or got water in it or something? Or it could be a bad ground somewhere, or even a bad battery. Owners of 8 series BMWs have reported some crazy shit happening when the batteries are low - things you'd never normally associate with bad batteries.

Umm, all lead acid batteries have water in them. ;)

In any case fuses then battery would be the best place to start. Check for corrosion on the terminals, it could be causing the electronics to not get enough juice and do strange things.

crosshairs

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2007
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
Originally posted by: Black88GTA

Umm, all lead acid batteries have water in them. ;)

he was referring to the BCM possibly having water in it.
many late model Dodge trucks equipped with a sunroof had the BCM's fill with water when the sunroof drain clogged and all the water accumulated in the A pillar..right where the BCM is...
it made for some interesting behavior of all the components controlled by the BCM...