Car buying decision...

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, I'm getting a new car for running around... I can't afford to drive the ZX TT every day. ;) Not to mention I'm getting a bit weary of the Neon R/T. So I've narrowed it down to 3 cars.

1.) 2000 Honda Prelude ($22,250)
2.) 2000 Mitsu Eclipse GT ($21,800)
3.) 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S ($21,500)

As you've guessed by the choices my spending limit is $25K. I'm leaning towards the Prelude mainly because it's so damn fun to drive. But the Eclipse is a bit quicker and the Celica has that 6-Speed tranny (and I think it has the best looks). Is there a nifty "pocket-rocket" that I've left out of my comparison? Which would you choose and why?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Does it have to be new? $25,000 would buy a really nice 525i, say a 1995 or so. Or, get a 325i. It'll out-perform those cars & do it with a lot more style.

I'd also look at a 96 or 97 Mustang GT convertible...

Viper GTS

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I kinda want a new car (I've never owned one before), and my wife already owns a 325i... I don't want two of them in the driveway, people might get the wrong impression (they might think we're suburbanite yuppie trash). ;):D

BTW, I don't think I want another domestic car. Especially not a Ford or GM... No offense. ;)

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I tried out the GTI GLX V6 and I didn't care for the handling, body design, or it's qwirky clutch. To it's credit, it has the nicest interior and by far the most cargo area... but it's driving characteristics make it unattractive IMO.

Thanks for the post though, I appreciate the input.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
How old are you? I know it's a domestic, but the new Intrepid R/T's look pretty sweet. As far as non-domestics go, if you want a serious pocket rocket how 'bout a Honda S2000? Or maybe a used 1993 or later RX-7? They're fast as a four letter word for intercourse, & have a very modern supercar look to them. Don't honestly know what the new price on an S2000 is, but the RX-7 should run you around $20K. 0-60 in just over 5 seconds, if I remember right. :)

Viper GTS

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
The S2000 is a bit out of my price range (about $31K), and I'd like to get something that'll haul more than just ass. ;) I've owned an RX-7 before and I've developed a bit of a dislike towards the "Wankles" that power them. Having one serviced is a new experience in financial pain... Considering I'm the owner of a 94' ZX TT, that's saying a lot. :D

The Intrepid is a bit... large. ;) It sounds like a nice car (I just checked the reviews), but I'm partial to smaller cars for day-to-day use.

BTW, I'm 29 on Tuesday (yes, the 4th). :)

HardTech

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Get the Prelude. I have a 1998 base one (I'm assuming you want base, since Type SH is like $26k) and it's been non-stop fun!!

BTW, you like the new Celica design? Sure it has a 6-speed transmission, and it's about as fast as the Prelude... but what would a chick rather be seen in?? :)

Get the Prelude, mod it up, and trust me you'll feel like a 16 year old again! I can't help the feeling because I AM 16!!

HardTech

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Celicas are fugly, BTW. And the Mitsu Eclipse is slow. Anyway, since you already have a real sporty car (ZX TT), I'd rather get a luxurious car. Err, wait... your wife has that.

I would absolutely love to drive a Bimmer Z3, however. <sigh>

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
I would go with the prelude or the Celica....basically I just dont like the eclipse.....havent tried the nwere model though so it may be different, but all the old base model eclipse I rode in werejust downright &quot;wussy.&quot; No power and heavy as a tank.

Dat

Jan 14, 2000
Eclipse 2000 model looks like a piece of sh!t.

Both the celica 2k and prelude 2k are beautiful.

Personally I like Honda more.

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
go for the honda! the 6 speed tranny in the celica is nice, but that's its only good feature! you have it right in your choices though - car and driver didn't name the prelude the best handling car for under 30k for no reason! and hell, the thing even held its own again cost no object cars!
and besides, of those cars, its the most practical - a useful back seat and decent sized trunk

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
As a fellow Z owner ('95, N/A unfortunately) I know the feeling. Of the three you picked, I would take the Prelude. Mitsu's are never known for their reliability (my dad used to have the Galant from hell, but I won't get into that now), and the Celica is just too weird for me. The design of the celica looks good now, but so did fins on cars back in the day. The interior of the Celica is just incredible though, easily my favorite of the three.

Personally, I'm saving up for a Subaru 2.5RS. There's just something about this car that just draws me to it.

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Thorn, How about a Nissan Maxima SE? My boss just got one this week, it's one sweet ride. It's got more HP for 2000, it's now 222. All the automotive critics say it's the best V-6 engine in America. BTW, it's a very nice looking car inside. It comes pretty loaded, sunroof, in-dash cd, pwr everything, theft system etc. In a stick, that car can be had for low 23's. If you're not bothered by four doors, give this big bad a** a look.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
too bad your not looking at domestics, I just got yesterday a 2000 ford contour svt, black really nice car, was 19,900 with my trade, very nice car

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'd pick the Prelude over the Eclipse and the Celica.

Just don't get the SH. IMO is not worth the extra weight.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I'd say the Prelude as well. 2000 Celicas and 2000 Eclipses are both fugly in my book. Honda makes really nice cars, too, I love em. The only complaint I have about the Prelude is those headlights. Its a strong, good looking car. I'm not sure about the Preludes, but Hondas in general are very reliable.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Thorn: Why do you want to get rid of the 300ZX-TT? I thought that was an AMAZING car?? (that's my dream car, so I'm just wondering why you want to get a replacement for it?)

BTW, I would second MooseKnuckle's choice. The Maxima SE is a great choice, plus you can buy a Stillen Supercharger can get 270HP out of it!

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I think I'll go for the Prelude. It seems to be the best all-around choice. I will test drive a new Maxima SE though just to compare.

And NO I'm not getting rid of the ZX TT, it's my dream car too. ;) I've got it up to Stage 4 and it'll absolutely destroy abything that's not Italian or German (and only a couple Germans can stand against me):). I just can't afford to spend $10-$15 /day in gas, as it only runs right with Premium and gets about 12 MPG. :Q What I'm getting rid of is the Neon R/T... it's just not quick and comfortable enough for me.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Base Honda Prelude? Bleck....what's up with that? You got two great cars, and you'd be doing yourself an in justice getting the base model. Anyways...even though I hate Hondas, I'd have to say, get yourself a Honda Prelude SH.

My dream car? 1990 Volkswagen Corrado w/ Neuspeed HP III Kit. Sigh...
Reality? '95 Mazda Protege LX...oh well, it's comfortable, and nice in the twisties.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Thorn: Could you post some pics of your 300ZX-TT? Also post the specs of it? I would really appreciate it!!

Also, why not check out the Integra Type-R?

Day Trader

Jan 3, 2000
You done the right thing by picking the Honda. The toyota is ok. Just avoid MITsu because they are in deep debt. Plus their cars have not changed in design since the 1990s.

Just don't get raped by a car dealer. Vist www.carpoint.com and a dealer will call you with an offer. Have these pieces of scum bid for your business.

One word of advice, watch the finance guy. This is where most people end up getting screwed. You might want to bring your own financing. The finance guy will play around with the interest rate and temp you with the warranty, alarm, and rust and tell you the payments are the same. You are being charged for the &quot;stuff&quot; but the interest rate is lower. Anyway you look at it, you paid for it. Not the same payments.

If you have good credit, then you should know what interest rate you can get.