car audio help!!

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
so i wanna revamp my cars crappy speakers but i'm a little confused about all the different parts and options available!!

i wanna get a small lil sub, so i need an amp for that right?
and apart from that i'm just gonna get 4 nice speakers and thats all i need afaik...

the one thing that really confuses me is the number of channels on the amplifier...
when i think about a pc speaker system if i want to have 4 speakers and a sub that equals 5 channels... is it the same for car systems?

so if i want 2 speakers in the front, 2 in the back and 1 sub i need an amplifier that is 5 channels right?

and say if i wanted to add a tweeter in the front i'd need a 6 channel amp???

thanks!!!!

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Actually I'd go with two amplifiers. One 4-channel for your full range speakers and a mono-block for your sub(s).

The advantage here is that it takes a lot of power to drive subwoofers. Using two separate amplifiers takes that burden off of your full range amplifier and will give you an overall cleaner sound. Mono-blocks are specifically designed to run subwoofers and often have built in cross-overs and better current handling capabilities. I've been out of the loop for quite some time now, but when I was into the whole performance car-stereo scene, Alpine V12 and Phoenix Gold amplifiers were some of the best around.

I also had an affinity for MB Quart mids and highs paired with JL Audio (not the loudest, but very accurate IMO) subs. Precision Power used to make good amps too, but I heard they were bought out by some cheapo japanese company a few years ago so buyer beware. (Actually I still drive a pair of JL-10W0's with a 2-channel PPI in my truck coupled with some JL Audio 2-way 6x8's driven off of my factory head unit - Sounds surprisingly good for what it is).

As far as head units go. Eclipse was always the gold standard for me, but there may be better stuff out now.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
nice thanks!
btw sorry im a n00b... whats a head unit???

i don't have a whole lotta cash to spend cause well i just bought a car but maybe i'll hold off on the sub till later when i have more money to throw at it and a second amp!

but anyway as far as the original question goes.... so there would be no problem connecting 4 speakers and a sub to a 4 channel amplifier???

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
sub: 12" Alpine DVC
amps: I use HiFonics, they are cheap but pretty damn good quality
speakers: infinity reference series

I spent $400 for my entire system (did the labor myself)

and I can beat half the SQ fanboys out there!

oh, and eclipse or alpine head unit

def get a 4 channel for the highs and a monoblock for the sub...

but you never specified price range...so we need to know that first

oh and a head unit refers to the cd player

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Oh yeah, about your tweeter question. You could use a 6 channel amp to drive a separate set of tweeters, although I don't know why you would unless your're really going for some high-end setup.

Most of your quality drop-in replacements (2-ways or even separates) will include a passive crossover network (composed of capators and inductors) that will allow you to hook both components (midrance and tweeter) up to the same amplifier channel in a way that they will play the correct frequenty range without overdriving or overloading your amplifier's OHM rating.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
If you got a 10 inch sub woofer, you should be able to power it with like a 40 watt amp alright...many times they have 2 channels that can be bridged. Just be sure it either has a built-in crossover or be sure to add one. A crossover bassically filters out the high-end noises to keep from damaging the subwoofer.

You can splice into your rear speakers and throw some capacitors on the lines to help clean up the sound and protect your amp.

If you can find some entry level stuff it should do the job for you. Worst-case scenario, go to Circuit City or Best Buy and let them sell you something.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
You won't need a sub for the mids or highs....only the subwoofer. Your deck should be able to power the speakers just fine. Most have plenty of power for that. Just buy some decent speakers....Polk makes some good ones and you can sometimes find them on sale.

DingDingDao

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer
Actually I'd go with two amplifiers. One 4-channel for your full range speakers and a mono-block for your sub(s).

The advantage here is that it takes a lot of power to drive subwoofers. Using two separate amplifiers takes that burden off of your full range amplifier and will give you an overall cleaner sound. Mono-blocks are specifically designed to run subwoofers and often have built in cross-overs and better current handling capabilities. I've been out of the loop for quite some time now, but when I was into the whole performance car-stereo scene, Alpine V12 and Phoenix Gold amplifiers were some of the best around.

I also had an affinity for MB Quart mids and highs paired with JL Audio (not the loudest, but very accurate IMO) subs. Precision Power used to make good amps too, but I heard they were bought out by some cheapo japanese company a few years ago so buyer beware. (Actually I still drive a pair of JL-10W0's with a 2-channel PPI in my truck coupled with some JL Audio 2-way 6x8's driven off of my factory head unit - Sounds surprisingly good for what it is).

As far as head units go. Eclipse was always the gold standard for me, but there may be better stuff out now.

You have very good taste in car audio :thumbsup:

My last car audio setup (Audi A4):
Alpine V12 4-ch amp
Rockford Fosgate 2-ch amp
MB Quart 5.25" component fronts
JL Audio 12W6 (x2 in sealed box)
Eclipse 7001 AV head unit
Phoenix Gold interconnects/power distribution

I find it interesting that you and I share almost identical taste in componentry :p

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: franguinho
nice thanks!
btw sorry im a n00b... whats a head unit???

i don't have a whole lotta cash to spend cause well i just bought a car but maybe i'll hold off on the sub till later when i have more money to throw at it and a second amp!

but anyway as far as the original question goes.... so there would be no problem connecting 4 speakers and a sub to a 4 channel amplifier???

I guess I should clarify... I was suggesting using 1 4-channel amplifier for your 4 full range speakers and 1 mono-block (single channel) amplifier for your sub(s).

Now that said... you could use a single 4-channel amplifer to handle everything if your dont' mind giving up your front-rear fading ability. This would require wiring your front-rear speakers in parallel and using only 2 channels of your 4-channel amplifer to drive them.

You would then use the remaining 2 channels to drive your sub(s) most likely in a bridge setup.. However as I mentioned earlier driving subs really taxes an amplifer and doing it this way may negatively effect your overall sound quality.

Better to keep your mids and highs on a separate amplifier as your subs IMO.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DingDingDao

Alpine V12 4-ch amp

I find it interesting that you and I share almost identical taste in componentry :p

That sound like a kick-ass setup you had there! That Eclipse 7001 is an amazing unit indeed and those W6's must have been thunderous in the back of an Audi!!

I guess great minds think alike!

Now what will really blow my mind is if you tell me you're running a Marantz receiver with KEF mains + surrounds coupled with a Velodyne sub in your Home Theater!!!

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
cool ok thanks i think i'm starting to understand this better now!! :)

so looks like im definitely gonna get an amp for my 4 speakers and a seperate mono amp for the subwoofer!

i can't really give a price range cause i live in brazil so stuff is more expensive here plus its a different currency and i'm not looking for any high end stuff either... a buddy of mine paired a sony xplod head with standard cheapo car speakers and got excellent results considering the setup... i also have a better sony xplod head so i figure if i get some low-mid range components and have them wired up correctly the results should be vastly superior...

i like to listen to my music loud but i don't plan on making everyone else on the street listen to it too.... and i'm not really an audiophile but i like a crisp booming bass and high quality clear midrange and trebble... :)

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Alternatively, if you can't find a mono-block to suit your needs you can use a good two channel amplifer and bridge the output to accomplish the same thing. However, it might cost you a little more $$ to go this route.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I just upgraded my car audio system and boy do things add up quickly when you listen to different options. Especially if you get some sound insulation. But insulation is pretty nice. I can barely hear my system outside of the car even when playing above comfortable volume.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Let me say this, because I am not sure it is clear to the OP, or most posters here:

If you had 4 18's, you could power them with a 5 watt amplifier.
18's are really efficient, and don't take much power.
15's are generally slightly less efficient.
12's less efficient than the 15's, etc...
18's generally can handle more power, but need less - got it?

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
sorry i know this is in portuguese but i'm guessing the specs are universal...
can anyone recommend one or the other as my mono amp to drive the subwoofer?

this (cheaper model but specs look better to me but what do i know!!)

or

this

thanks!!!! :)

Personally I've never heard of either brand. It makes me suspicious... You have to take these ratings with a grain of salt. Depending on how honestly a company rates their product they can be deceiveing. For instance 200 Peak - Peak watts = 100 Peak watts or ~ 71 Watts RMS.

Now if that rating is taken with an input of 14.4 volts the results are skewed further since a running automobile supplied about 11.5 actual volts.

You also need to pay attention to the THD ratings or basically, how much of the rated power is actual clean audible music and how much of it is just noise. There are many tricks audio manufactures use to temp the unassuming novice buyer, but ultimately you always get what you pay for and those amps you listed seem a bit shoddy to me.

Anyone here who has heard a 35watt Alpine amp straight up own a 200 watt Autozone special knows what I'm talking about.

Bose is another company who builds their whole business model on taking advantage of the unassuming buyer.

Now that said... If you want to stay relatively reasonable in price but you're looking for something you won't be disappointed with I'd recommend these amps:

MRP-F450 4-Channel

and

MRP-M450 Mono-block

This pair should adequately drive any entry level system while giving you very good sound quality and product reliability.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
sorry i know this is in portuguese but i'm guessing the specs are universal...
can anyone recommend one or the other as my mono amp to drive the subwoofer?

this (cheaper model but specs look better to me but what do i know!!)

or

this

thanks!!!! :)

Personally I've never heard of either brand. It makes me suspicious... You have to take these ratings with a grain of salt. Depending on how honestly a company rates their product they can be deceiveing. For instance 200 Peak - Peak watts = 100 Peak watts or ~ 71 Watts RMS.

Now if that rating is taken with an input of 14.4 volts the results are skewed further since a running automobile supplied about 11.5 actual volts.

You also need to pay attention to the THD ratings or basically, how much of the rated power is actual clean audible music and how much of it is just noise. There are many tricks audio manufactures use to temp the unassuming novice buyer, but ultimately you always get what you pay for and those amps you listed seem a bit shoddy to me.

Anyone here who has heard a 35watt Alpine amp straight up own a 200 watt Autozone special knows what I'm talking about.

Bose is another company who builds their whole business model on taking advantage of the unassuming buyer.

Now that said... If you want to stay relatively reasonable in price but you're looking for something you won't be disappointed with I'd recommend these amps:

MRP-F450 4-Channel

and

MRP-M450 Mono-block

This pair should adequately drive any entry level system while giving you very good sound quality and product reliability.

thanks again dude! all these replies and yours specially have really helped me understand this stuff better!

since i have limited cash right now i'm gonna get the 4 channel amp and speakers this month and leave the mono + subwoofer for next month and either way i'm gonna reasearch loads before i buy anything!

DingDingDao

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Originally posted by: DingDingDao

Alpine V12 4-ch amp

That sound like a kick-ass setup you had there! That Eclipse 7001 is an amazing unit indeed and those W6's must have been thunderous in the back of an Audi!!

I guess great minds think alike!

Now what will really blow my mind is if you tell me you're running a Marantz receiver with KEF mains + surrounds coupled with a Velodyne sub in your Home Theater!!!

Haha, that would be nice. Right now my HT is awaiting upgrades, but here is my current setup:

Panasonic TH-42PX20U 42" HD Plasma
Polk center/tower sides/rears
Klipsch 15" down-firing sub
Sony ES receiver

The speakers are probably my next upgrade, although I'm seriously considering going with a Yamaha YSP-1000 digital sound projector. The sound isn't as good as dedicated surround sound, but it pairs well with my plasma and my wife is keen on keeping our HT setup as clean as possible.

ArJuN

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2005
Can anyone answer a few of my questions too? I'm plannin on upgrade my speakers as well, and add two 12" subs in the back. Two amps, one for speakers (4 channel) one for subs (2 channel). I have two tweeters in the front but dont plan on sending them to the amp (do I need to?). I'm hoping to get a headunit with an LCD and all that jazz. My budget is $1000. Do you guys know what the best equipment is? I know it varies by person since its opionated, but do you have any names and model numbers?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ArJuN
Can anyone answer a few of my questions too? I'm plannin on upgrade my speakers as well, and add two 12" subs in the back. Two amps, one for speakers (4 channel) one for subs (2 channel). I have two tweeters in the front but dont plan on sending them to the amp (do I need to?). I'm hoping to get a headunit with an LCD and all that jazz. My budget is $1000. Do you guys know what the best equipment is? I know it varies by person since its opionated, but do you have any names and model numbers?

That is a rather low budget. Two good 12's with an enclosure and amp could easily cost $1000 alone.

What do you mean you don't plan on sending the tweeters to the amp? Do you mean you are going to keep the existing two tweeters and try to hook them right into the head unit and then use an amp for your other 4 speakers? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Why not just get two components in the front that include tweeters and a crossover?