Car Audio: Deck Installation Question UPDATE 2: ok this is the last question I swear

imacbad

Mar 23, 2002
So my friend has worked at pepboys for 2 years now and he's really into his car audio. In 2 years hes got great deals on a ton of decks and he must have went through like 10 of them. So hes going away to college and I asked him if he had any extra decks before he went. He sold me a Sony CDX-MP70 listed as 399.99 on sonys website for 75$. So now I must install this deck into my 1988 volvo station wagon and I have a general idea of what to do except he told me I'd need 2 adaptors. These were pratically his exact words and hes gone now so I can't have him help he said "You need the sony adaptor and the volvo adaptor and you plug the two adapotors together and then hook up the speakers to the red and white cables and your done." I have yet to remove the stereo in the volvo already but all the sony deck has is the red and white wires and some black wires....no ribbon wires for power. So I think the two adaptors hes talking about have to do with the power but i really don't understand exactly what they are. Can anyone shed some light on this?

EDIT: I've bought the wireharness that connects to the wires already in the car. But I cannot find for the life of me the harness that plugs into the deck itself. I guess this is supposed to come with the deck and my friend didn't have it for some reason and I cannot find it anywhere. It plugs into the back of the deck and then into the wire harness that I already bought. WHERE can i find this???? <---------------OK solved this problem the harness is on the way

3rd Question: I successfully removed my cars stereo and checked all the cables to make sure everything was gonna word. once i have the 2nd harness everything will work except..........Theres a black thick cable going into my old stereo that looks like the power sourche. It plugs into a round port on the back and the plug its self has pins on it (i don't remember how many). There seems to be a spot for this on my new stereo except my new stereo doesn't accept pins theres a round port the exact size of the plug with two small rectangles in it. Do i need a converter for this????

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
The two adapters he's talking about attaches to your car and one attaches to the headunit and both connect.
you can puchase em at Bestbuy Automotive department.

The adapter basically connects everything together in the car ( power, speakers, etc.. ) it should have a seperate plug for hte antennae which doesn't require an adapter.

lol if you don't get to use it pass it on to me as a friend for 75 + shipping ;)

imacbad

Mar 23, 2002
oh believe me i'm hooking this thing up and holding onto it for as long as i can. In the forseeable future this will be my deck in any car i get after the volvo and probably after that.

imacbad

Mar 23, 2002
Originally posted by: isekii
The two adapters he's talking about attaches to your car and one attaches to the headunit and both connect.
you can puchase em at Bestbuy Automotive department.

lol if you don't get to use it pass it on to me as a friend for 75 + shipping ;)

thanks a lot but is there any name for these other than the general "adaptors" i'm starting to understand a little more now but going to best buy and asking for "adaptors" seems like i'd get no where.

imacbad

Mar 23, 2002
I've bought the wireharness that connects to the wires already in the car. But I cannot find for the life of me the harness that plugs into the deck itself. I guess this is supposed to come with the deck and my friend didn't have it for some reason and I cannot find it anywhere. It plugs into the back of the deck and then into the wire harness that I already bought. WHERE can i find this????

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: imacbad
I've bought the wireharness that connects to the wires already in the car. But I cannot find for the life of me the harness that plugs into the deck itself. I guess this is supposed to come with the deck and my friend didn't have it for some reason and I cannot find it anywhere. It plugs into the back of the deck and then into the wire harness that I already bought. WHERE can i find this????

Maybe Sony's website? You could always solder the wires together or use a butt connector or something. It'll be a little more work, but it's no big deal.

imacbad

Mar 23, 2002
3rd Question: I successfully removed my cars stereo and checked all the cables to make sure everything was gonna word. once i have the 2nd harness everything will work except..........Theres a black thick cable going into my old stereo that looks like the power sourche. It plugs into a round port on the back and the plug its self has pins on it (i don't remember how many). There seems to be a spot for this on my new stereo except my new stereo doesn't accept pins theres a round port the exact size of the plug with two small rectangles in it. Do i need a converter for this????