Car Advice Please!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rubenswm

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2000
Originally posted by: blahblah99
Originally posted by: isildur
Isildur needs a new ride.

A friend of mine is selling his old car - not exactly a lease turn around vehicle, but it would be better than what I've got & I'm checking around to see what the general consensus is on this car.

its a 91 Acura Legend L 2dr: 5 spd, cd changer, sunroof, power-all, 150k miles. current owner is the son of the original owner. I know that at least the original owner took pristine car of the vehicle and had all the services done. its never given them any major problems, but it did recently overheat. repairs are being done before the sale (ignition switch, head gasket).

car is in what kbb would consider good to excellent condition, offered to me for 4500

(listed on kbb for 5470)

I've been told both that this is a good deal (being less than kbb) and also that there is no way I should even consider buying such a "crappy and old" car.

<dramatic eye roll>

thoughts?

Take a look at this post and see if you still want a Legend.

Whatever. Look at the numbers. Every car has the possiblity of failure. Hondas fail less often. MUCH less often. and BTW most honda engines are extremelly easy to work with..Sorry to hear you had a tough time with your friends legend.

isildur

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2001
Engine Transmission
V6 3.2 Liter
5 Speed Manual

3.2 ltr, my error.

as for the others - a mustang? are you serious? no thanks. honda's are pretty universally praised for their durability and long life. <shrug>

A local mechanic is working on the car now. I'll get his take on how it looks, what repairs he thinks are imminent and then I'll go to the owner with an offer accordingly.

As for being friends - we're friends, but not that close anymore due to distance, etc. Besides, buying a car from a friend shouldn't hurt the friendship if you are any kind of a realist _unless_ they were dishonest. Buying a used car is always a gamble and anyone who gets bent out of shape w/ the previous owner over things they couldn't possibly have known about and aren't responsible for is simply retarded.

I've had great success with honda/toyota/subaru in ultra high mileage situations. these cars just keep running. if the mechanic says "no go" then I'll know to waive off, but if he thinks it looks solid underneath, then what the heck, go for it.

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Whatever. Look at the numbers. Every car has the possiblity of failure. Hondas fail less often. MUCH less often. and BTW most honda engines are extremelly easy to work with..Sorry to hear you had a tough time with your friends legend.

Unless you have personally worked on a legend, how would you know they are easy to work with?

its a front mount, fwd vehicle with a V6 configuration. Getting to the hoses, bolts, and nuts are a pain in the ass. Worse design I've seen. Getting access to the oil pump means you have to pull out the timing belt and oil pan, etc etc. I ain't a professional mechanic, but I've worked on civics, supras, and 240's and out of the three, I'd say the 240 has the design easiest to work with.

And yes, HONDAS still suck.
HONDA = Had One, Never Did Again