Capturing, Playback, Posting 4k??

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
So I have been attempting to dip my toe in the waters of capturing some game-play on the ol PC and posting online. Starting small.....with just recording and posting, not streaming. Trouble is, I cant seem to get.....anything....right.

What I want to find is:

What is the best way to capture on the local system (have another system ready to go for doing the capture work but don't have a 4k capture card atm so I suppose the primary system will have to do).

What is the best way to playback such footage (So far I have just been using Shadowplay for 4k around 100mbps and VLC chokes on it, Windows Media Player is...Windows Media Player....MPC does a bit better but still poor playback).

Lastly, how can I actually get 4k when posting to, say, youtube? (Posted this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhwmR80gcPU a few days ago but still only showing up as 1080. (I have verified it is a 4k clip), I know 4k can take a while to show up but its been days. The file was massive of course (20GB) but while lowering the bitrate a ways produces a smaller file it also makes for a piss-poor final product).

Doing plenty of looking into it but so far I have yet to find the perfect (or even remotely close) solution. Numerously, so far, I cant get OBS Studio to even record at all. Set up at default settings with screen capture and even trying to record the desktop gets me nothing (can click start record, but it never does).

Anyhow, would be thrilled to get any advice. If I need to purchase additional software, that is not an issue within reason (a $500 piece of software may not be for me)....

Specs:
Win 10 64 Pro
i7 5930k
64GB DDR4
GTX 1080 FTW x2 SLi
Dual 1 TB EVOs
Plenty of other non-SSD storage on the local network
What else is relevant here?

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Thank you much!!! Great responses and thanks even further for links to demonstration vids.

As for space, I have an extra 1TB SSD in the system for the actual recording work (figure its faster while the actual recording is being done). Have a further 15ish TB on a local server I can store files on)

Why 4k. I dunno, why not? I suppose I just figured if I am playing at 4k why not capture, upload at 4k?

Feb 4, 2009
Thank you much!!! Great responses and thanks even further for links to demonstration vids.

As for space, I have an extra 1TB SSD in the system for the actual recording work (figure its faster while the actual recording is being done). Have a further 15ish TB on a local server I can store files on)

Why 4k. I dunno, why not? I suppose I just figured if I am playing at 4k why not capture, upload at 4k?

I'm certainly not a subject matter expert so don't take me too serious. I'm thinking most will watch them at 1080 so why bother with the huge files.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I don't know how YouTube makes money these days with no upload limit that I'm aware of.

Nick Arthur

Jan 16, 2016
Shadowplay seems much recommendable for me. It is excellent in recording video. Personally speaking, I can not recognize the difference between 4K video or any other videos. Quality from them are both good enough.