Captcha error?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
All of a sudden, I started getting a captcha error when teying to access Anandtech forums on m iPad. Happens with Chrome and Firefox.

Doesn't seem to affect my android device in Chrome or Samsung browser, although, before I could log in, I had to click a "I am not a robot" box. (First time for that)

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Happened to me once yesterday.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'm getting that error now too. If I change to my cellular network vs home Wi-Fi it works.

What's the deal?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
  • I had it happen yesterday when I changed OS drives. AOK today.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I just started getting the captcha, a few days ago. Never saw one before that. Same browser, system/OS, IP, etc.

It might (or might not, I don't log dates) have coincided with visiting some site with offensive ads, causing me to block servebom.com which Anandtech seems to also use.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Am now getting captcha a whole lot when I used to rarely if ever see them. Damned aggravating and I've not gone anywhere or done anything "suspicious," well, outside visiting AT's P&N forum. Guess that's the "suspicious" part, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: JEDIYoda

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Just curious . . . are you logging on manually or using a password mnager?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just curious . . . are you logging on manually or using a password mnager?

I get hit with the captcha crap at least once a day. I log in manually. As mentioned in the other thread, on my android fone, I just have to check the "I am not a robot" box, but on my iPad, all I get is "file not found," and I have to use my fone to complete it.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Could it have something to do with frequency visiting the site, that it serves as some kind of flood control but is set way too low? I can't recall how often I was visiting a month ago vs now, but the rate I see them is much lower now, rarely ever.

Captchas can be funny things though. On one system I can visit a page (on a different site) and get a captcha where I just have to click "i'm not a robot" but on a different system, same webpage, using same browser (but probably blocking slightly different things), I also have to solve those pick-the-squares-with-the-thing-in-them, puzzles.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Happened to me three days, or make that three nights, in a row. Place is pretty much unusable now. It gets sold every other week, how can it pass through that many hands without eventually hitting somebody somewhere that knows wtf they're doing?

Reactions: JEDIYoda

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I've been hit with this captcha bull every single time I am logged out and clicking on the P&N forum link. I can go into any other thread and don't get hit with it, just when logged out and clicking on P&N. If I log in I don't get hit with it, just when I'm not logged in. The worst part is that no matter how many times I solve the captcha I get hit with another one and then another one and then.... and so on and so on...

If I can't cruise the forums while not logged in then I guess I will just quit doing so. This is just stupid.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Same on android tab, solve then go results in error and endless captcha loop. Also cannot log in on android.

StarTech

Dec 22, 1999
I have been hit with this right now. Just clicking on "NEXT" to go to next page on a thread. I can see setting controls for posting and continuous reads that may appear bots, but believe me, I am not that fast moving...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Does anyone in admin pay attention to this? It doesn't seem like this is an isolated problem affecting only a certain group of users who (just as an example) are all running VPN's or anything. It seems this is a PITA for just about everyone here. I can understand using the captcha crap for establishing new accounts as a means of controlling ot accounts...but come fckng on...this is ridiculous.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Many sites use CAPTCHA when the received signal contains parameters that are associated with hackers or spammers. As an example, my brokerage account throws a CAPTCHA if I log in with my password host. If I manually log in (human typing speed) the CAPTCHA never appears.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Many sites use CAPTCHA when the received signal contains parameters that are associated with hackers or spammers. As an example, my brokerage account throws a CAPTCHA if I log in with my password host. If I manually log in (human typing speed) the CAPTCHA never appears.

OK, I get that, but I'm almost always on my android fone or iPad, logged in on my home network with no password host, no VPN, nothing out of the ordinary. I think the same applies to MOST folks here who have been having problems with it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This profanity removed is happening again. Just to clarify; the URL points to some captcha crap, however what is displayed is, “file not found”, so I can’t even see a captcha.

Wtf! Anandtech, this is a freaken tech site! Get your profanity removed together!

Profanity is not allowed in FI.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I feel all of your frustration. I experience the captcha thing also, although I have not had it keep going in a loop. I have notified the Future folks again and asked them to post here. We shall see.

admin allisolm

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
One thing I noticed is that if I open a clean browser and don't click on the accept line at the bottom of the screen, the captcha pge doesn't pop up while refreshing pages in P&N and not being logged in. While it's a pain to see that line all of the time, it's more of a pain being trapped in a captcha loop.