Captain Kirk launching into space

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
1 - awesome that people can just go to space now

2 - awesome that Kirk went to space

3 - awesome that a 90-year-old went to space

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Surprisingly the majority of people I know don't have any desire to go into space. Good for Bill, I'd do in a heart beat if I could.

Reactions: cytg111

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I want to hear him do Bob Dylan and Shat the Bed.

"Lay.........Lady..........Lay.......... Lay..........Across........My........Big.........Brass..........Bed......."
Hey now, that used to be one of my big Karaoke numbers.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Hey now, that used to be one of my big Karaoke numbers.
My kids got a Karaoke machine for Christmas last year that has Bluetooth built-in. I've got a Youtube playlist of songs that I've been practicing for lake parties when the pandemic is over with.

It's funny cause Rocketman happens to be in my range and I can even hit the high notes pretty good.

I may have to check on that one for the heck of it. (though I don't normally mumble when I sing like Dylan and the slide guitar music or whatever that is always depresses me)

Reactions: Kaido and hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So with regular folks going to space now……. Mile high club? Bitch please.
Suck cock in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace….

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Shatner was very emotional. Good thing he never cried as captain of the USS Enterprise. And $250,000 sounds fair for a short trip into space. Being way up there is kinda like a cat caught in a tree hoping it can get back down. Not a good place to have a panic attack, for sure.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
So with regular folks going to space now……. Mile high club? Bitch please.
Suck cock in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace….
I would hope a second party would be involved to play catcher. In a zero gravity environment and one of you guys going solo as per usual, everything would turn South upon reentry when your Skittles don't float anymore. That module would light up like a Christmas tree if you hit it with a black light.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
This thread took a turn for the worse fast. Everyone knows sheep herders wear tall boots so they can wedge the sheep's hind legs in them so they stay put. I would imagine something similar could be worked out in zero G.

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
An interesting excerpt from his book; his view reminds me of Lovecraft's cosmic nihilism.

I continued my self-guided tour and turned my head to face the other direction, to stare into space. I love the mystery of the universe. I love all the questions that have come to us over thousands of years of exploration and hypotheses. Stars exploding years ago, their light traveling to us years later; black holes absorbing energy; satellites showing us entire galaxies in areas thought to be devoid of matter entirely… all of that has thrilled me for years… but when I looked in the opposite direction, into space, there was no mystery, no majestic awe to behold . . . all I saw was death.

It was among the strongest feelings of grief I have ever encountered. The contrast between the vicious coldness of space and the warm nurturing of Earth below filled me with overwhelming sadness. Every day, we are confronted with the knowledge of further destruction of Earth at our hands: the extinction of animal species, of flora and fauna . . . things that took five billion years to evolve, and suddenly we will never see them again because of the interference of mankind. It filled me with dread. My trip to space was supposed to be a celebration; instead, it felt like a funeral.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My kids got a Karaoke machine for Christmas last year that has Bluetooth built-in. I've got a Youtube playlist of songs that I've been practicing for lake parties when the pandemic is over with.

It's funny cause Rocketman happens to be in my range and I can even hit the high notes pretty good.

I may have to check on that one for the heck of it. (though I don't normally mumble when I sing like Dylan and the slide guitar music or whatever that is always depresses me)
Dylan's great, you need no range.

• Haha
Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Surprisingly the majority of people I know don't have any desire to go into space. Good for Bill, I'd do in a heart beat if I could.

I'd do it too because having a bunch of astrophotogs as friends whose passion is taking pictures of those awesome things spinning and exploding out there in the cosmos, I like taking pictures of planets and deep space like they do, only I'd prefer to take pics of mother earth first and foremost the same way they do with the other planets in our solar system from terra firma. Yes, eventually got'ta go to the moon to do that, and yes, I'd love go there instead of zipping around the world in low orbit.

Maybe someday.