Canuckistan has Q-anon Morons?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Canada is the cut rate copy cat. We are always copying the States but it is always the cut rate version.

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
good thing
Our new retirement home is going to be 20 minutes from the ferry to Victoria.
We will be spending a lot of time up in that area.
I hope you enjoy your new home. Too many people for me but beautiful if you can get out and about. One thing I'd like from down there would be Arbutus trees just for the sheer weirdness.

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
Canada is the cut rate copy cat. We are always copying the States but it is always the cut rate version.
Thankfully, many of our douche bags find Canada too small and unimportant and so leave to spread their douche bag wings down south where the grifting is more profitable. Jordan Peterson comes to mind.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
good thing

I hope you enjoy your new home. Too many people for me but beautiful if you can get out and about. One thing I'd like from down there would be Arbutus trees just for the sheer weirdness.
My wife will only visit the wilderness. We are building in Sequim, about a mile or so from town.

Reactions: Iron Woode

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
My wife will only visit the wilderness. We are building in Sequim, about a mile or so from town.
Nice. Just checked out an article about Sequim having a Qanon mayor. They're everywhere. More reason to enjoy the beach and wilderness. Where I live it's one of our EMTs. I haven't talked to him about it because I don't have the time right now, but I look forward to a long debate with him and pulling apart his stupid positions. It'll probably be an exercise in futility, but I'll probably need the workout by then.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This woman claims to have "high level extra-terrestrial connections." So she is either psychotic or a grifter. Probably the latter. Given the number of times she has directly and explicitly called for violence and killing, I'm surprised she isn't in jail as of yet.

I read this on her wiki page:

Peterborough mayor Diane Therrien was embroiled in a minor controversy by using the phrase "fuck off, you fuckwads." on social media, in reaction to the group's actions.

Normally I would object to that kind of language from an elected official, but here?

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
It is a Thunder Mustang, a 2/3rds scale kitplane and sweet as can be.
https://www.thundermustang.com/

blue-thunder-2-reno-thunder-mustang-kit-plane.jpg

They made their own custom V-12 for it, and it sounds right.
That is a beautiful thing. 340 mph cruise and +9G too. Damn. I always admired the design work, efficiency and well-thoughoutedness(?) of aircraft. My dad flew RCAF 1941 to 1946 but I never went for my licence because the costs were too big a barrier for me at the time. Just the price of avionics and radios alone became the cost of an entire used airplane. A STOL floatplane would be a dream here. The old Beaver still flies here and is worth the price of a flight just for the smell and sound alone much less the view and whale spotting. Great pilot too.

Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That is a beautiful thing. 340 mph cruise and +9G too. Damn. I always admired the design work, efficiency and well-thoughoutedness(?) of aircraft. My dad flew RCAF 1941 to 1946 but I never went for my licence because the costs were too big a barrier for me at the time. Just the price of avionics and radios alone became the cost of an entire used airplane. A STOL floatplane would be a dream here. The old Beaver still flies here and is worth the price of a flight just for the smell and sound alone much less the view and whale spotting. Great pilot too.
I have not owned anything STOL but the banner tow plane was good that way. I got it up and down in a few hundred feet of runway on a daily basis. I always was self conscious about borrowing it, although the boss said to do so whenever I wanted. I just did not want to have it break and not be able to do a job.
Our plane needed ~2500' of clear runway, unless you wanted to toss out the idea of accelerate-stop distance. I worked it off 1800' of pavement and a little longer grass, but if an engine coughed at the wrong time you were scrapping it. Of course that is the case with any single engine, but we could fantasize about getting away with an engine failure after V2.
I'd have to operate off of Masset or Sandspit runways.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah, just looked at it on Streetview (though it seems it's more "boatview" for that area). Beautiful. Brings to mind Solsthiem from Morrowind!

I did once get as close as Vancouver Island. Though having no car, when I got there I realised I couldn't really do anything except wander around near where the ferry docked and then get the ferry back to the mainland again.
Should have taken a bus ride to near Sidney to see the Buchard Gardens.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Real nice area. It's unreal how much that area has grown since I moved to the Kitsap Peninsula in 1986. Mostly retired. In the rain shadow of the Olympics it won't be that wet (they even have an irrigation canal festival). Beautiful Straight of Juan De Fuca views. Almost bought property out there years ago. Wish I had. I hope you like lavender.;)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Should have taken a bus ride to near Sidney to see the Buchard Gardens.

_Now_ you tell me!

It's so long ago now (like several decades) I can't remember why I didn't get a bus anywhere. I vaguely think I didn't really register the size of Vancouver Island, I just got the ferry there as somewhere to go from the city, then realised I wasn't going to be walking round the island in one afternoon or whatever the hell it was I was thinking when I got up that morning. I think I just walked into some woods for a bit and then back to the terminal again and it was time to get the ferry back.

Sheesh, always thought I would go back one day and 'do things properly' (take a tent, or something).

Reactions: hal2kilo

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
come on back, we'll leave a light on for ya. :D
You are right though, it is a huge bunch of country and islands, I know guys who spent their whole lives logging on Vancouver Island and never worked the mainland.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
How can anyone believe a woman can install herself as queen of Canada? but then we did elect trump so there is a lot of stupid to go around.

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
How can anyone believe a woman can install herself as queen of Canada? but then we did elect trump so there is a lot of stupid to go around.
Well, in the 1970's we had a King of Kensington. (Obscure CBC reference successfully deployed.)
^Not an exerpt from "The King of Kensington" but virtually indistinguishable.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This woman claims to have "high level extra-terrestrial connections." So she is either psychotic or a grifter. Probably the latter.

Remember what "psychotic" actually means in the clinical sense. In the "popular" sense it's become a synonym for "crazy" but in reality that's not what it means at all.

A pure "psychopath" is a person who truly ONLY cares about themselves.

Point being she could be and IMO likely IS both! :oops:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Remember what "psychotic" actually means in the clinical sense. In the "popular" sense it's become a synonym for "crazy" but in reality that's not what it means at all.

A pure "psychopath" is a person who truly ONLY cares about themselves.

Point being she could be and IMO likely IS both! :oops:

You should go check your definitions. Psychotic /= psychopath. A psychopath is usually a sociopath who is violent and/or sadistic. A psychotic has something like schizophrenia or any other disorder which disrupts one's connection to reality. The latter may provide an insanity defense. The former does not.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You should go check your definitions. Psychotic /= psychopath. A psychopath is usually a sociopath who is violent and/or sadistic. A psychotic has something like schizophrenia or any other disorder which disrupts one's connection to reality. The latter may provide an insanity defense. The former does not.

Not so sure about that.... yes being "psychotic" is viewed as "crazy" by the masses (and can be used as an "insanity" defense) but there's significant new science which indicates it's actually a human survival "adaptation" (and an effective one!) to our current reality thus NOT so "crazy" after all.

House is only a TV drama and overly "dumbs-down" the diagnosis criteria but otherwise the following video is rather chilling:

Of course with Dr House it takes one to know one! :oops:

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Not so sure about that.... yes being "psychotic" is viewed as "crazy" by the masses (and can be used as an "insanity" defense) but there's significant new science which indicates it's actually a human survival "adaptation" (and an effective one!) to our current reality thus NOT so "crazy" after all.

House is only a TV drama and overly "dumbs-down" the diagnosis criteria but otherwise the following video is rather chilling:

Yes, but you were incorrectly equating psychosis with psychopathy. Psychosis, when caused by schizophrenia which is its most common cause, is a largely hereditary condition that involves delusions and/or hallucinations. Pscyhopathy is a function of a personality disorder like sociopathy or narcissism, with added violent or sadistic impulses, and no delusions or hallucinations.

Regardless of whether "crazy" is the right word for a psychosis, the two are not even remotely similar. It's unfortunate that the words kind of sound similar as it seems to result in some confusion. Neither is a formal clinical term BTW. IIRC neither even appears in the DSM-V.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yes, but you were incorrectly equating psychosis with psychopathy. Psychosis, when caused by schizophrenia which is its most common cause, is a largely hereditary condition that involves delusions and/or hallucinations. Pscyhopathy is a function of a personality disorder like sociopathy or narcissism, with added violent or sadistic impulses, and no delusions or hallucinations.

Regardless of whether "crazy" is the right word for a psychosis, the two are not even remotely similar. It's unfortunate that the words kind of sound similar as it seems to result in some confusion. Neither is a formal clinical term BTW. IIRC neither even appears in the DSM-V.

Put that way I completely agree! :)

Rather than "clinical" I should have just stuck with "commonly accepted" term which in no way implies scientific/medical accuracy. (more like the opposite!)

Not like I'm really an expert with a rep on the line though! :p ;)

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Of course with Dr House it takes one to know one! :oops:
So there's a new House. I continue to feel old and in the way.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante